Are in-walls for Yuppy's? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are in-walls for Yuppy's?

ToddL
08-30-2005, 06:21 AM
Well, are they? Have heard Klipsch that are pretty good. But no even bookshelf good. Is this strictly for "clean looking rooms"?
Thanks
Todd

Worf101
08-30-2005, 06:31 AM
Well, are they? Have heard Klipsch that are pretty good. But no even bookshelf good. Is this strictly for "clean looking rooms"?
Thanks
Todd

Who value "form over function". Or for guys who wear diapers in the family instead of pants. I can't say anything though. I had to replace my beloved Ohm Walsh F's with a "modern" speaker because the ole lady said "pyramids are for egypt not the living room". Sigh...

Da Worfste r :rolleyes:

kexodusc
08-30-2005, 06:54 AM
Definitely not for yuppies. You can get excellent sound in wall or on-wall speakers. The problem is there's just a lot of poorly designed, overpriced in-wall/on-wall speakers out there.

For some, space limitations are a harsh reality. Given the option between on-wall/in-wall speakers and none, you do what you can.

Geno1
08-30-2005, 06:55 AM
Well to say that in-walls are for Yuppie’s is saying that technology is standing still. There are several very high end In-wall speaker manufactures. The top two in my book would be Triad then Sonance. I think if you look at these manufactures and do some research that you might be pleasantly surprised and you can free up some living space for the wife factor and make your life easier.

There are a few other really decent in-walls out there but make sure you do some research there are some real low-end as well. My suggestion is for a decent mid line look at Speaker craft specifically the AIM LCR. I definitely would buy these and I am no Yuppie.

topspeed
08-30-2005, 07:11 AM
For the most part, in-walls are for folks that are married, have kids, or just don't take this as seriously as most of the fanatics on this site do. In-walls and convenient, clean, and have enormous WAF. This is not to say there aren't excellent in-walls, because I don't think anyone here would turn down this Legacy Harmony if given one.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/rav_1855_10319862

Geoffcin
08-30-2005, 07:12 AM
Thanks
Todd

For my rear surrounds and they work very well indeed. Just for kicks when I hooked them up for the first time I drove them as mains and they really kicked up some dust! I would NOT underestimate the quality of in-wall or on wall speakers.

GMichael
08-30-2005, 07:12 AM
For the most part, in-walls are for folks that are married, have kids, or just don't take this as seriously as most of the fanatics on this site do. In-walls and convenient, clean, and have enormous WAF. This is not to say there aren't excellent in-walls, because I don't think anyone here would turn down this Legacy Harmony if given one.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/rav_1855_10319862

Sold, I had my eye on these for awhile but just couldn't justify the cost. I'll send you my address. Thanks for the gift. Got anymore?

kexodusc
08-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Geoffcin's right. A lot of companies use the same, high quality drivers for in-wall applications. You're just creating an ininite baffle situation, which often times ELIMINATES more problems than it creates.

I think the problem is we compare $40 inwall speakers to $900 bookshelfs or something and dismiss them.

topspeed
08-30-2005, 08:06 AM
A lot of companies use the same, high quality drivers for in-wall applications. You're just creating an ininite baffle situation, which often times ELIMINATES more problems than it creates.
I dunno Kex. While I agree that the ultimate way to defeat cabinet resonance is to not have a cabinet in the first place, I've been told infinite baffle speakers are very different than normal drivers. Supposedly they have stiffer foam rolls for better control as they can no longer utilize any resistance from air inside the cabinet. You build these things, what's your take?

FWIW, the few in-walls that I've looked into from B&W and Legacy both have their drivers in enclosures and are not infinite baffle designs. The enclosure just happens to fit in the wall.

kexodusc
08-30-2005, 09:25 AM
Designing an IB sub or speaker is a different ball game, and you should choose drivers accordingly. If it's a speaker your crossover would be a bit different. But many drivers work fine in IB situations, there's just some that are specifically designed to work best.. I've never messed around with them personally, but someday I hope too, every IB sub I've heard has left me amazed.
My understanding is that the IB approach isn't done to eliminate box resonances (a good box shouldn't have a problem anyway) and that this is just a side-effect/benefit (if you want to call it that). I was thinking more along the lines of perfect front wave/back wave separation...no baffle-step loss, etc.....for tweeters and good chunk of the midrange, the baffle size/wall proximity won't matter much anyway. Maybe some spl reinforcement and no need for adding inductive resistance circuitry, all depends on the individual setup. But yeah, if you can pull it off, I can see it being a bit more simple...It's ironically a bit harder for amateur's like me because cabinets have long been the standard.

My soon-to-be-wife has put her foot down on the thought of two 15" gaping holes in wall though...I told her we could get 3 and make a smiley face out of it, but she wasn't having any of that...

topspeed
08-30-2005, 09:57 AM
My soon-to-be-wife has put her foot down on the thought of two 15" gaping holes in wall though...I told her we could get 3 and make a smiley face out of it, but she wasn't having any of that... Bwahahahah! :D:D:D

Mebbe you should configure them to look like Mickey Mouse instead?

Congrats on your pending blessed event! I don't know why, but I thought you were already married. It's always good when we can find someone laid-back (or is it insane?) enough to put up with all of our neuroses, especially regarding audio gear and music, eh? I actually found one that puts up with drumming! Poor thing, little did she realize that both our boys would want to learn how to play percussion as well. Imagine 3 kits going at the same time! Hoo Whee!