Elac ... Wow! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Elac ... Wow!

Dolby
08-29-2005, 11:30 PM
I went to hi-fi show the other day, and listed to many different set ups of various prices - from budget to seriously expensive.The show was held at a hotel, and each set up had it's own room. I went through endless room listening, looking and enquiring (for fun) on pricing etc.

One room made me sit up and pay attention : the room contained bookshelf Elac 203.2 speakers, coupled to a Vincent CD player, turntable, and integrated 60w RMS amplifier. The entire system was under $6000 (converted - I'm sure alot cheaper overseas though). They were playing Norah Jones vinyl and I've never heard such big, warm sounding speakers that filled the room so completly before! Also the bass that came from tiny speakers was amazing! At first I assumed the vinyl, but the demonstator played the CD - which sounded just as good! Best of all, it HALVED the price to $3000 for the speakers, CD player and amplifier. I'm sure if it was the Norah Jones track - but the system was amazing.

The brand Elac is relativly unknown in this country, but seems to be a real gem. Suffice to say, I'll no longer be saving for bigger brands anymore. Anyone else heard an Elac?

theaudiohobby
08-30-2005, 08:10 AM
Yep, I own some ELACs, even after some soulsearching at which point I put up some speakers for sale, I kept the ELACs, they have weaknesses but the midrange clarity is very good, I think the 203.2 is one of their winners, it sells close to it MSRP even on ebay