Helps w/old Klipsch speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Helps w/old Klipsch speakers

TomC
08-29-2005, 04:20 PM
I recently got a hold of an old pair of the captioned. They were purchased in 1998. They appear to be three way speakers, mid and tweeters on the front, and bass on the back. A few of the speaker cones are partially pushed in, the paper part that is, perhaps from a rough move. However, they are whole with no punctures or tears. Will this effect performance in a noticeable way? How can I fix them? Should I replace the individual speakers? Your expertise is much appreciated. Thank you.

TomC

Florian
08-29-2005, 04:32 PM
I would recommend that you fix them with original parts. Klipsch Horns can be quite fun, especially with a high powered amps. 110db of Led Zepplin !!! Keep on Rockin!

Contact Klipsch for service advice.

-Flo

Woochifer
08-29-2005, 04:51 PM
From the description, sounds like the Forte floorstanders. Very forward and heavy sound -- not too many speakers nowadays that sound similar to what those models deliver.

As far as the pushed-in dustcaps go, it does have a somewhat detrimental effect on the dispersion, but nothing fatal. So long as the tweeter did not get pushed in, you should be okay. Some tips on pulling out pushed in dustcaps that I've seen posted on this board previously include taking a pencil and wrapping the blunt end with two-way tape. Use the two-way tape to try and pull the dust cap back out. You can try other approaches with simple masking tape. Just avoid going with clear tapes because they tend to rip paper more so than masking tape.

Klipsch does keep spare drivers for their vintage speakers, but if they're like other companies that manufacture their own drivers, those drivers will likely cost you almost as much as (or more than) the speakers are worth. You will only truly need a driver replacement if the voice coil blows.

mixadude
08-29-2005, 09:21 PM
You can have new domes installed, or if you're clever you can do it yourself. I'm a certified JBL, Altec and Gauss reconer, but I don't do it on the open market. It's not all that hard, but does take a bit of experience. Contact your local reconer and if there's any question, furnish the parts.