CD-R audio vs CD-R for data & pictures [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CD-R audio vs CD-R for data & pictures

GMichael
08-28-2005, 04:37 PM
I see CD-R's go on sale from time to time. Sometimes it's the CD-R's for music, and sometimes it's not. Is there any real difference in these other than the cost? Can the CD-R's for data be used for music? Is there a difference in quality? Or are they completely incompatable?

Pyrrho
08-28-2005, 05:10 PM
The ONLY difference is a special code on the music CDRs that computers ignore and which has NO effect on the recordable portion of the disc. Consumer (not professional) music CD recorders look for the code and if they do not find it, they refuse to record on the disc.

GMichael
08-28-2005, 05:20 PM
The ONLY difference is a special code on the music CDRs that computers ignore and which has NO effect on the recordable portion of the disc. Consumer (not professional) music CD recorders look for the code and if they do not find it, they refuse to record on the disc.

So they are worthless to me huh? Oh well, just another way they squeeze extra $$ out of us for no reason other than "they can."

Pyrrho
08-28-2005, 05:43 PM
So they are worthless to me huh? Oh well, just another way they squeeze extra $$ out of us for no reason other than "they can."

Perhaps I was not clear enough. If you are using a computer, you can use either type of disc. The computer ignores the code on the Music CDRs and records on them just like it does on any other CDR. The reason for the code has to do with the music industry not wanting to lose money on CD sales, and they threatened to sue the manufacturers of recording devices for copyright infringement, so a deal was made in which CD recorders looked for the special code. A special fee is paid to the music industry for each Music CDR, which is why they tend to cost more.

JohnMichael
08-29-2005, 07:34 AM
I see CD-R's go on sale from time to time. Sometimes it's the CD-R's for music, and sometimes it's not. Is there any real difference in these other than the cost? Can the CD-R's for data be used for music? Is there a difference in quality? Or are they completely incompatable?

In my Sony cd recorder I have to use the cdr withthe Compact Disc digital audio symbol and yes they are more expensive.

GMichael
08-29-2005, 05:56 PM
In my Sony cd recorder I have to use the cdr withthe Compact Disc digital audio symbol and yes they are more expensive.

Oh well. Somehow I knew that but didn't want to accept it. Thanks JM.

GMichael
08-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Perhaps I was not clear enough. If you are using a computer, you can use either type of disc. The computer ignores the code on the Music CDRs and records on them just like it does on any other CDR. The reason for the code has to do with the music industry not wanting to lose money on CD sales, and they threatened to sue the manufacturers of recording devices for copyright infringement, so a deal was made in which CD recorders looked for the special code. A special fee is paid to the music industry for each Music CDR, which is why they tend to cost more.

Your reply was clear. I am using a Yamaha CD recorder.

Thanks for the info. It saved me from buying the data type to see if they would work.