Pioneer DV-563a-S vs. Toshiba 5109 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DV-563a-S vs. Toshiba 5109

Crunchyriff
01-06-2004, 06:35 PM
I have had my Toshiba 5109 for about 3 years. Having seen my dad's new cheapie Toshiba 4900, I got curious, did some research, and decided to try a new DVD player for grins.
I selected the Pioneer DV-563 due to all the press and reviews. I do not have a progressive scan monitor yet, (but I'm planning on a Samsung DLP); just a Toshiba 36 CRT w/ component video.

First thing I noticed was that during X-Men 2, (the only disc I've tried on it so far)...there is NO layer change delay. WOO-HOO. The Toshiba was slow, and seems to have gotten worse over the last 3 years. I threw in a few other discs that I am well familiar with, (T2, Gladiator, Monsters, Inc) just for a few minutes each, and either my eyes are playing tricks or, the video seems much more vivid, and more '3-D' on the Pioneer. Very noticeably.

Unlike some reviews, my 563 has no negative bass management issues in H/T. Works splendid.

Considering the Tosh. 5109 retailed for $1k in year 2000, and the Pioneer 563 retails for under $200, I am really scratching my head over this one...is it me, or has 3 years of technology gotten better, AND more inexpensive?

I will do some a/b tests tomorrow. In the meantime, anybody want to chip in thier thoughts, please?

I wonder what 500+ bucks can get me nowdays....(not that I want to spend it, but hey....)

The reason I'm soliciting feedback, is I have 30 days to take this thing back.

Thanks everyone!

Crunchyriff
01-07-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm looking for some objective input here. I haven't really kept track of the technology since we put together our HT sys over 3 years ago.

Anybody care to advise?

Tonight I will try some A/B tests between the two units.

Thanks.

Tarheel_
01-08-2004, 01:07 PM
if your searching for progressive scan, SACD and DVD-a for under $500, they is no other choice. Throw in bass management, time delay, speaker size and 192/24 processing and you have a clear winner.

You still want to feel better about your purchase? Goto http://www.crutchfield.com/S-esAHEvthGhE/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=54400&c=6&s=0&cc=01&pt2=0&ITM033DVD2200=on&ITM130DV563A=on&IMAGE4.x=20&IMAGE4.y=4

and see for yourself that this little guy compares VERY favorable to the much higher price Denon 2200.

Crunchyriff
01-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the primer. Specs between the two are neck and neck in many cases, and the Pioneer bests the Denon 2200 in s/n ratio by about 3db (which is great), and 2% in Dynamic range; whereas the Denon beats the Pioneer in THD by a paltry .0004%

The Denon will also do DVR+R, and DVD+RW, and the Pioneer doesn't support that format, just the "minus" formats.
Considering I have top of the line Plextor CD and DVD burners in the PC I just built for my wife (and they'll burn virtually ANY format) this is a non-issue for me.

So, just by those specs, I'd say the little 563 does an admirable job.

I did some testing last night and today. Bone Collector, T2, Gladiator, Little Nemo, and a few others. The CGI 'menu' on T2 with the ektoskeleton is stunning. It looked great before, but the 563 plays it more vivid, and again, there is a depth and realism to the display that the 5109 just isn't matching. It looks almost like I could reach into the picture. In 'M.Inc.', again, there is a certain 'something' I'm seeing in the character definition and depth of field that looks better on the 563.

Layer changes are immediate, unlike my Toshiba, and no stumbling audio lag on menu selections, and on the layer changes.
I still think the 563 has a slight edge in '3-D' rendering, such as in Monsters Inc. The digital rendering The picture just seems to have more depth than my old 5109. I'm in the process of finding out from Toshiba if there are firmware upgrades or repairs to rectify the 5109's symptoms. The thing was slow to being with, but has gotten worse over time.

I have NOT done any audio (CD) listening on the 563 yet.

BTW, what are you guys using to clean your DVD player, and how ofter do you clean it? I have a Regular CD player cleaner- I have one of those CD's with a little brush near the center that cleans the lens.

recoveryone
01-08-2004, 08:03 PM
I have the Pioneer Elite 45a (the big brother of the 563) and using the progressive scan mode the picture is second to none that I have seen so far and it supports DVD-A and SCAD

Jim Clark
01-09-2004, 06:13 AM
The Denon will also do DVR+R, and DVD+RW, and the Pioneer doesn't support that format, just the "minus" formats.
Considering I have top of the line Plextor CD and DVD burners in the PC I just built for my wife (and they'll burn virtually ANY format) this is a non-issue for me.

I find that somewhat surprising. I still have my Pioneer DV-525 and it plays every single DVD format except DVD-Ram which my burner doesn't support anyway. The surprise is this-the 525 is like a first generation DVDP, I've had this thing for years and it's still going strong. The only distraction is a pause on layer changes that I'm sure has been improved upon by now but I'd be hard pressed to find a significant reason to upgrade, mainly since I still have no need for a progressive scan player. Someday though...

Pioneer seems to know how to make a player when they want to.

jc

Tarheel_
01-09-2004, 09:47 AM
I have NOT done any audio (CD) listening on the 563 yet.

if you haven't heard its audio performance, then your missing the best area of the player. Audio is nothing short of fantastic.. CDs sound above average BUT the SACD and DVD-A are so realistic that you will feel there...front of the stage. The "3 doors down" multichannel SACD is just amazing! This player throws an wide soundstage about a foot above my head and during the "Here without You" track....the violins play from the rear speakers...wow, i was blown away!

Crunchyriff
01-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Jim,
It may be unusual, but that's according to the Pioneer spec sheet. I may find that it will actually play the DVD "plus" format, you know, 'unofficially' support those formats.
We'll see. I haven't used the DVD burning format on the PC yet, so I have no test specimens.

Tarheel,
I hear you. Everyone has said the same thing about the SACD ability of this player., Let alone std. CD audio. Yer tempting me...
I've been couped up in the house with acute bronchitis, and I'm climbing the walls. Being as I need to go get a prescription filled, I will probably wing over to our local BEST BUY, and see what they have.... ("I will not covet, I will not covet, I will NOT covet...")

I'll have to see if I have a spare set of interconnects, and connect the 563 in two-channel mode on my Onkyo. Egads, make that SIX channel...

Oh yeah, what are you keeping your machines clean with?

I must say that after a long absence on this BBS (since before the new format was implemented), it's good to be back here.

Thanks, & Have a great weekend, gang!

Tarheel_
01-09-2004, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=Crunchyriff]

I'll have to see if I have a spare set of interconnects, and connect the 563 in two-channel mode on my Onkyo. Egads, make that SIX channel...
QUOTE]
spare set of interconnects is exactly what you need...hell, i was so ready for hi-rez christmas night i used spare RCA cables from other components...you know the red and white cables that come with everything...i just left the yellow/video cables dangling...sounds great...maybe i'll buy some AR interconnects when convienant...but hey these "free" cables sound wonderful as is.
Trust me, you want the SACD/DVD-A discs....you will be blown away...just remember to set you speaker levels (with a Rat Shack spl meter) and your set. Let us know how it sounds. Peace.

recoveryone
01-09-2004, 05:50 PM
I find that somewhat surprising. I still have my Pioneer DV-525 and it plays every single DVD format except DVD-Ram which my burner doesn't support anyway. The surprise is this-the 525 is like a first generation DVDP, I've had this thing for years and it's still going strong. The only distraction is a pause on layer changes that I'm sure has been improved upon by now but I'd be hard pressed to find a significant reason to upgrade, mainly since I still have no need for a progressive scan player. Someday though...

Pioneer seems to know how to make a player when they want to.

jc

I agree Jim, I had a 525 downstairs until I upgraded to the 45-a, but I have a 525 upstairs also, they play everything I throw at it. I have friends the have went out and purchased newer machines and have problems reading VCD's and other burned disk formats