Hissing Speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hissing Speakers?

ElasticBuddha
08-27-2005, 02:13 PM
So, my speakers put out a slight "hissing" noise. This happens when I'm watching TV, listening to a CD, watching a DVD - basically everything louder than -40 or -50 dB. While my setup isn't great (college makes for cheap sound systems), I certainly don't think it should sound this dirty. Here's what I have:

A Pioneer VSX-D411 receiver, an RF Modulator for the tv, four Technics floor standing speakers, an Apex DVD player, a JVC CD player, and an old Philips VCR.

All the speakers are connected with cheap 16 gauge "Acoustic Research" speaker wire (no gold pins or anything). The components are all hooked up with very basic cables (the connections are silver... nickel plated?). My first thought was that the speakers may not be shielded - they are, however, and each speaker is at least 5 feet from the TV.

My question for you guys, the gurus of the audio world, is what could be causing the hissing? I should point out that the hissing appears to be the worst with DVDs and TV.

What is the most likely culprit: cheap speaker wire, cheap connections, the RF Modulator?

Thanks in advance.

thepogue
08-27-2005, 04:27 PM
cables nor the connections...I'd be looking @ the RF thingy...

Pogue

Pat D
08-27-2005, 04:28 PM
So, my speakers put out a slight "hissing" noise. This happens when I'm watching TV, listening to a CD, watching a DVD - basically everything louder than -40 or -50 dB. While my setup isn't great (college makes for cheap sound systems), I certainly don't think it should sound this dirty. Here's what I have:

A Pioneer VSX-D411 receiver, an RF Modulator for the tv, four Technics floor standing speakers, an Apex DVD player, a JVC CD player, and an old Philips VCR.

All the speakers are connected with cheap 16 gauge "Acoustic Research" speaker wire (no gold pins or anything). The components are all hooked up with very basic cables (the connections are silver... nickel plated?). My first thought was that the speakers may not be shielded - they are, however, and each speaker is at least 5 feet from the TV.

My question for you guys, the gurus of the audio world, is what could be causing the hissing? I should point out that the hissing appears to be the worst with DVDs and TV.

What is the most likely culprit: cheap speaker wire, cheap connections, the RF Modulator?

Thanks in advance.
How loud is the hiss? I presume you mean a sort of 'hssssssss.' That is ordinarily simply electronic noise, and all electronic components will produce some, as well as pass on a little bit of power line hum. There is usually a specification for it, usually called something like 'hum and noise' or 'signal to noise ratio,' in the owner's manual. Some equipment is quieter than others, of course. If you can hear the hiss at your listening position at the kinds of volume control settings you ordinarily use, then you have a problem. If not, then your equipment is adequately quiet.

Well, the speakers, interconnects and speaker cables are passive, so it is extremely unlikely they are at fault. If the equipment is too noisy, then you can find out which one(s) are at fault by switching sources or disconnecting different pieces, using a process of elimination.

Geoffcin
08-27-2005, 05:37 PM

Thanks in advance.

Unplug it and see if the hissing is still there. Try that with all the other source components one by one. If it's still hissy, the you may have to settle for the fact that your dorm is full of RF noise, and the receiver is not shielded against it.

EFE Speakers
08-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Hissing speakers?

Be on guard and keep your distance, they're getting ready to bite!!!!!!!!!

(( ;

EFE