Is it worth upgrading Marantz VP12S2 to S3 ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth upgrading Marantz VP12S2 to S3 ?

csukasem
08-27-2005, 05:22 AM
Is it worth upgrading Marantz VP12S2 to S3 ?

What should be big gains ? (I am using Denon A11 + 80" screen) Or should I upgrade my Denon A11 ?

Thanks in advance.

Sukasem C.

edtyct
08-27-2005, 05:52 AM
Hi Sukasem,

It's hard to put yourself in someone else's position, let alone head, when it comes to deciding whether to upgrade an already good product like the S2. Would this be an upgrade on mere speculation, or have you actually noticed anything lacking in the performance of the S2 (which would be surprising without direct comparison with the S3)? In any case, if you have the money and the inclination, who's going to stop you? The upgrade to an S3 gets you the new HD2+ chip, with its black enhancements; a 7-segment color wheel (dark green being the new element); a proprietary color-termperature auto-calibration, which should show its worth as the bulb ages; iris/aperture control, which allows improvement in contrast; and color correction circuitry, which I don't remember much about; and a 200 w DC bulb instead of the 150 AC, permitting more brightness and image depth in conjunction with the projector's excellent black level. All of these features certainly elevate the S3 over the already well-regarded S2. Whether the boost is enough to justify shelling out big bucks for it (you should be able to get good money for the S2 ) is not for anyone else to say. Sorry, I don't know anything about the Denon A11.

Ed

csukasem
08-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Hi Ed,

... Would this be an upgrade on mere speculation, or have you actually noticed anything lacking in the performance of the S2 (which would be surprising without direct comparison with the S3)? .............

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to know and I think I have come to the right place where most of my questions are always answered. I am only a “user” whose technical knowledge is so very limited (using only eyes and ears). According to your shared knowledge on S3, I do not think that I should desert my S2 yet.

Ed, please also shed some lights on the followings :

1. The life expectancy of bulb (Marantz S2) is said to be 2,000 hrs. I am a bit sensitive to light, therefore, I am setting my S2 a bit dimmer than usual. I wonder if this would prolong the bulb’s life ? When the bulb is being expired, does the S2 give some warning or I have to monitor all the time that it reaches 2,000 hours ?

2. Is Marantz S2 compatible with the future HD DVD ?

3. Is HD DVD vs DVD similar to HDCD vs CD ? I found that HDCD did not offer so great impression against CD. I found XRCD and SACD to be more satisfactory. Do you think HD DVD would, for user (not technician) like me, be satisfactory so much more than DVD. Actually, I have been very satisfied with my system’s picture which it might be amazing to say that my using many kinds of accessories and careful set ups have improved the results more or less by 12% !!

4.Can current DVD players be modified to work with HD DVD ?

For your info. Denon A11 is Denon 5900.

Thanks again, Ed. Hoping to hear from you shortly.

Sukasem

edtyct
08-28-2005, 05:15 AM
Sukasem,

1. Setting the light to run dimmer yourself while it's still in good health will prolong its life, but you should still go into the menu from time to time to check your hours. The S4 flashes a warning on screen when life expectancy reaches 100 hours, and at 5 mins. the warning light stays on the screen. I don't know if the S2 does. After 1000 hrs, you should start looking for any extra dimming, but before you reach 2000 hrs, you should consider changing the bulb. There's always a chance that the bulb could explode in the projector if you let it go too long. The 2000 hrs. is just a ballpark rating based on average. Replace the bulb sooner rather than later. If it still has any life, maybe you can retain it as an emergency back-up.

2. The high definition DVD formats will require a change of DVD player but not projector, so long as it has DVI or HDMI, as your does.

3. This answer depends on who you ask, judging from the posts on this board. My feeling is that hi def DVD, whether Blu-Ray or HD DVD, will easily represent a major step, even over standard DVD that is displayed at the state of the art. However, along with most everyone else, I'm reluctant to commit to either one during the format war, and perhaps not if the copyright protection schemes make connection to a typical home theater too arduous. Let's just say that I'm excited by the future prospect, but I'm keeping a wary eye on developments.

4. Current DVD players will not work with any of the high def formats, but if HD DVD's new proposed disks hold a standard version on one side, this version will work on an older player.

Yes, I remember. We exchanged posts about the 5900 earlier.

Ed

AldoWingate: Its Me Baby!
08-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Is it worth upgrading Marantz VP12S2 to S3 ?

What should be big gains ? (I am using Denon A11 + 80" screen) Or should I upgrade my Denon A11 ?

Thanks in advance.

Sukasem C.

You is dreaming. marantz is worth changing your system for. Don't buy that same tired azz name man, whatever you do. Is yoo crazy?????

You need some schooling on the situation of the brands, man. If it ain't nothing but that old azz stuff with a name you THINK you know, get out and replace the stuff with REAl stuff, man.

Tired names like this ain't NUTHIN'!! Get some real things to PLAY all y-o-r-s-h-eeet on man and don't even think about nothin anybody got to say about what you THINk you might NOT no. If you Do, then you gots tol think and feel about it and nothinmg but IT! Thats becauz the stuff you might NOT get, just might BE what you got now.

Take it light, but dont forget to watch your stuff, man. Yoo gotts to be reel when shopping for the best in audio.

csukasem
08-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Sukasem,

1. Setting the light to run dimmer yourself while it's still in good health will prolong its life, but you should still go into the menu from time to time to check your hours. The S4 flashes a warning on screen when life expectancy reaches 100 hours, and at 5 mins. the warning light stays on the screen. I don't know if the S2 does. After 1000 hrs, you should start looking for any extra dimming, but before you reach 2000 hrs, you should consider changing the bulb. There's always a chance that the bulb could explode in the projector if you let it go too long. The 2000 hrs. is just a ballpark rating based on average. Replace the bulb sooner rather than later. If it still has any life, maybe you can retain it as an emergency back-up.

2. The high definition DVD formats will require a change of DVD player but not projector, so long as it has DVI or HDMI, as your does.

3. This answer depends on who you ask, judging from the posts on this board. My feeling is that hi def DVD, whether Blu-Ray or HD DVD, will easily represent a major step, even over standard DVD that is displayed at the state of the art. However, along with most everyone else, I'm reluctant to commit to either one during the format war, and perhaps not if the copyright protection schemes make connection to a typical home theater too arduous. Let's just say that I'm excited by the future prospect, but I'm keeping a wary eye on developments.

4. Current DVD players will not work with any of the high def formats, but if HD DVD's new proposed disks hold a standard version on one side, this version will work on an older player.

Yes, I remember. We exchanged posts about the 5900 earlier.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thank you so much. Your info. is valuable.

Sukasem

csukasem
08-28-2005, 04:39 PM
You is dreaming. marantz is worth changing your system for. Don't buy that same tired azz name man, whatever you do. Is yoo crazy?????

You need some schooling on the situation of the brands, man. If it ain't nothing but that old azz stuff with a name you THINK you know, get out and replace the stuff with REAl stuff, man.

Tired names like this ain't NUTHIN'!! Get some real things to PLAY all y-o-r-s-h-eeet on man and don't even think about nothin anybody got to say about what you THINk you might NOT no. If you Do, then you gots tol think and feel about it and nothinmg but IT! Thats becauz the stuff you might NOT get, just might BE what you got now.

Take it light, but dont forget to watch your stuff, man. Yoo gotts to be reel when shopping for the best in audio.

Hi,

I am so sorry but I don't get any of your points.

Sukasem

markw
08-29-2005, 05:26 AM
I am so sorry but I don't get any of your points.Nobody does. He doesn't have any.

csukasem
08-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Nobody does. He doesn't have any.

Thanks a lot. Your post really made me feel better.

Sukasem