Denon AVR-1000 Question(s) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon AVR-1000 Question(s)

zoomingm3
08-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Hello,

I'm new to the site and was wondering if anyone can help me out with the following questions:

I have a Denon AVR-1000 which is about 10 years old now. I recently lost use of my center channel (speaker). I get no sound in both Pro-Logic or Widescreen mode. I checked the speaker and it works, so I know it's not the speaker. My question is, is it worth spending the money to have it checked/fixed or should I consider purchasing a new AVR? I just purchased a 50" Samsung (HD) DLP so I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade my AVR. I'm running Klipsch KG-3's speakers up front with a Klipsch KV-2 center speaker. I'm also running a Klipsch SW-10 powered subwoofer. I'm not sure what brand the rear speaker's are, there recessed into the wall. If I were to purchase a new AVR, I'd be happy with a 5.1 system with a minimum of 80 watts per channel and I wouldn't want to spend more than $450, what units would you suggest I consider?

Thanks for your help.

Pyrrho
08-26-2005, 09:05 AM
I would buy something new with Dolby Digital and DTS. I would also look for something with an automatic setup to automatically balance the speakers and set the proper delay for the surround. I would also make sure that it decoded standard Dolby Pro Logic as well as having Dolby Pro Logic II (which is not simply a decoder, but adds processing to the original signal). Beyond that, I would carefully look at features that I wanted (I think a learning remote is a good idea). That last feature will be hard to get in your price point, though. If you like Denon, you can simply buy one of them (I think they include the original DPL, but I would check before parting with my money). I personally would try to get my hands on a Yamaha RX-V750 (or the newer RX-V757), but that is a bit beyond your price point unless you get a great deal on it. It retails for about $650.

However, if you want inexpensive yet good, according to Sound & Vision, the Pioneer VSX-815 is supposed to be an amazing value, retailing for a mere $365. See:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?&section_id=3&article_id=848&page_number=4

I don't think the remote is a learning one, but it will do everything else. (I think the Pioneer VSX-915 has a learning remote, and it retails for $475, so this might be your best bet at your price point as I suspect you can get more than $25 off the list price.)

EdwardGein
08-26-2005, 11:37 AM
For around $400, give or take $50, you can get a Denon AVR 3801 on Ebay (they usually have one or 2 listed a week) in very good or better condition with a manual and remote from
a seller with good feedback. I would not recommend getting one from someone with not much feedback or getting it without a manual & the remote. If someone lists a problem with it or writes "sold as is", do not, repeat, do not bid/buy it. Only bid in the last 20 seconds or email the seller & ask him if you can buy it privately & make them an offer. Once you get this, if you have a good universal remote, you can sell the Denon remote for $50-$80 on Ebay, reducing your cost some more. The Denon retailed for about $1200 & tax, new. It is actually 7.1, but you of course can play htis at 5.1 as I do.

paul_pci
08-27-2005, 09:14 AM
If it's no skin off your financial back, then I'd definitely get a newer receiver.

EdwardGein
08-27-2005, 02:07 PM
If it's no skin off your financial back, then I'd definitely get a newer receiver.

Yeah, I agree with that but if you have a financial budget, I'd get something used in great condition.

AldoWingate: Its Me Baby!
08-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Buy the new receever and forget that old tired deck yoo got now.

Tjhere aint nothin werse than havin a old piece of bullsheeeyit and NOT gettin the new one yoo want. That sheeyeit is played thefukk oput this deal yoo dog.

Man look. Get some noo receeverd and dont even THINK about that other sheyit man.

N. Abstentia
08-28-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm starting up the 'how long until Aldo is banned' pool yet again. Who's in?

paul_pci
08-28-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm starting up the 'how long until Aldo is banned' pool yet again. Who's in?

Put me down for Mon-Wed.

EdwardGein
08-28-2005, 05:37 PM
I suppose he's Hershon too!

zoomingm3
08-28-2005, 06:04 PM
To all of you who provided me your opinion(s), I appreciate it. I've decided to put my Denon out to pasture and look for a new AVR.

Thanks again for your help.

N. Abstentia
08-28-2005, 06:26 PM
I suppose he's Hershon too!

Or maybe his brother....

paul_pci
08-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Or maybe his brother....

I'll take that bet too!