Basic DVD Player Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Basic DVD Player Question

EdwardGein
08-26-2005, 07:18 AM
Harmon Kardon 31 which is $350 & you can get for $250 online

Hal
08-26-2005, 07:19 AM
Hello, I am a casual user of this site and these forums. Hopefully, however, someone here can give me some advice on a new DVD player. I hope that this is the correct forum.

I have a NAD T531 DVD player. It is really great, but it does not play DVD-R. Recently I had some old family videos burned onto a DVD-R and so I needed a new DVD player that has the capability to play DVD-R.

The new NAD was pricier than I would like so I looked around and bought a Yamaha DVD-S1500. On the whole I am pleased with it, except for two things: there is no fast scan on the remote and it takes forever (seemingly) to open/close/read/ and start playing.

If it were just the fast scan issue, I'd probably live with it. But the slowness at open/close/start is really annoying. I will probably return this unit and get another one. So, any suggestions on a comparable model? Any suggestions on DVD players that are good quality and are not slow at starting up?

Many thanks.

topspeed
08-26-2005, 09:39 AM
The Sony's are very fast to close and load and offer excellent video processing. The Cambridge Audio 540d is pretty speedy and has been getting excellent reviews. I've heard the Panny's and Pioneers are quick as well. Both my Toshiba and Denon are practically glacial so I'd avoid them if speed is a priority. All have players in various price ranges (you didn't state yours) so just pick the corresponding model.

Hope this helps.

Hal
08-26-2005, 09:46 AM
I was advised by J&R to go for the Sony DVP-NS975. But epinion.com I learned that that model had a problem with the drawer sticking with discs inside and that Sony had discontinued it and might replace it with a NS985. Has anyone else heard this?

My price range is $350 and under. The Yamaha I bought was $329; the Sony 975 is $229; the NAD I would prefer is $499.

Thanks again.

Hal
08-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Topspeed,

The reviews on this site for the Cambridge 540d are not encouraging. I guess Sony is the way to go?

singha
08-26-2005, 12:55 PM
When I was with my ex, she liked to buy all Sony products. They all developed problems after a few years of usage. And when we went back to the stores to get replacements, she would buy Sony again! She won most of the arguments back then, that's why she is an "ex" now.

I now have a Panasonic dvd player and a Yamaha DVD player and both of them still working fine after 4 years.

edtyct
08-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Hal,

The Sony 975 had a slew of problems in its initial run, but the later firmware replacements have held up. I've tested one with 1800 firmware for a long time, and it's been flawless. The SACD playback is terrific for sub-$300, and the upconversion for video is among the best with a microdisplay. However, the player is as slow as molasses in January to respond, though the menu system is great. On PQ and SQ alone, I give it a big thumbs up. I don't know anything about the DVD-R capability.

Ed

topspeed
08-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Topspeed,

The reviews on this site for the Cambridge 540d are not encouraging. I guess Sony is the way to go?
Hmmm...that's interesting. The Perfect Vision just gave it a glowing review. You can check it out at avguide.com but you need to sign up first (it's free). With all QC problems Sony has had recently, I don't know if they would be any better. Your criteria is a bit different than mine so I don't know if I'm the best guy to ask. I'll put up with slow load times (grass grows faster than my 2910 loads) for exceptional picture and audio.

StanleyMuso
08-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Your criteria is a bit different than mine so I don't know if I'm the best guy to ask. I'll put up with slow load times (grass grows faster than my 2910 loads) for exceptional picture and audio.
I'll go for quality over quantity every time.