Robyn Hitchcock... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Robyn Hitchcock...

audiobill
08-25-2005, 04:49 AM
Can anyone tell me something about this artist??

I was listening to Woxy.com, late last night and they played a song by him, "If You Know Time" that simply arrested me on the spot.

Apparently, it's from a cd release called Spooked.

Any RR help would be appreciated.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill

nobody
08-25-2005, 06:01 AM
That Spooked album came out last year and is very good. Its a collaboration between Hitchcock and David Rawlings, the guitar player who has worked with Gillian Welch so much. Available on vinyl as well.

Hitchcock has a long catalog, including early work with the Soft Boys, a poppy band from the time of Punk but that was more quirky pop/folk. They just released their first new album in decades a couple years back as well, another winner. I'm by no means an expert on the guy but I've heard my share of his solo stuff. My personal favorites of his is Element of Light, which has a quirky folk pop feel to it, although it does sound a bit dated with 80s production, and Invisible Hitchcock. They're both from the mid 80s. Invisible Hitchcock is mostly outtakes and stuff of that siort, but there are some really good songs on it and it has a looser less polished feel that I really like.

Someone more familiar with his stuff probably has different favorites, but those two just happened to appeal to me and I've heard them more than the rest of his stuff, which is probably why I like them.

You may also remember he had some minor hits wirth tunes like Balloon Man and Madonna of the Wasps.

noddin0ff
08-25-2005, 06:06 AM
Robyn's been around for ~20+ years. British. He has several solo albums and several as Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians. Prior to that he was in the Soft Boys (which I've never heard, but most fans of the Soft Boys that I've met kept up with RH). Many of his solo albums are out of print now. He's pretty distinctive with some wacked lyrics that walk the line between non-sense and deep-sense. They're sometimes weirdly Freudian. Other times full of surreal images. They often give you more of a feel than a story. His vocal style is interesting, kinda nasal. Maybe not for everyone.

Spooked is an excellent album from him. I would point to Television, English Girl, Creeped Out, Tryin' to Get to Heaven..., as my faves. Spooked is very well produced, and significantly more mature than the rest of his works. But his character is still completely there. I highly recommend the whole album for fans and non-fans alike. As a long time fan, I was very impressed with this album. I would have bought it even if it was disappointing. It's so good though that I think it will bring in a new wave of Hitchcock fans, if anyone hears it anyway. I also hope it spurs a re-release of some of his out of print work, I was too cheap when I became a fan...

Amazon has a free track from Spooked for download here
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00074QH2O/ref=j_disp_dwnld_1/002-9164896-2533607?v=glance&s=music&st=digital-music

Spooked is most reminiscent of an earlier solo album (and must have for RH fans), 'I Often Dream of Trains'. There's really no other album as distinctive of his style as this one. It's all there. So many memorable songs on that album, it's hard to list. A one of a kind album. Don't let track 2 'Sometimes I Wish I was a Pretty Girl' scare you!

w/ the Egyptians, I'm particularly fond of 'Globe of Frogs' especially the title track. In slightly more recent memory, a few tracks from 'Queen Elvis' made some radio play.

edit: I've been trying to get my hands on a new print of Invisible Hitchcock, agree w/ nobody

Mr MidFi
08-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Am I the only one who thinks The Decemberists sound a bit like Robyn Hitchcock? Just curious.

Davey
08-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Am I the only one who thinks The Decemberists sound a bit like Robyn Hitchcock? Just curious.
Very interesting and astute observation there, Mr MidFi. And apparently you aren't the only one ... :)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/reviews.htm#The_Decemberists_Castaways_and_Cutouts

Hawkeye
08-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Years ago I bought Hitchock's "Queen Elvis" and "Perspex Island" cds. I especially like 'Perspex Island' - its a good album, quite solid. They were on Letterman one night promoting it and did "So You Think You're In Love" Haven't listened to it in a LONG time...I think I might revisit it tonight, thanks.

Swish
08-25-2005, 02:41 PM

I was listening to Woxy.com, late last night and they played a song by him, "If You Know Time" that simply arrested me on the spot.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill

I pre-ordered it before it was released. I'm a big David Rawlings/Gillian Welsh fan, and when I heard they were collaborating with Robyn, I just had to have it. I do like it very much, although it's not what I would classify as great. It's a little too mellow for my tastes, although it certainly has it's high points, and If You Know Time is one of them.

I also have 1999s Jewels for Sophia, which was a bit of a disappointment to me. Also, I do like that WOXY! I used to listen to the radio station when I would travel to the Cincinnati/Dayton area of Ohio, but they shut it down and went totally internet.

Swish

Finch Platte
08-26-2005, 04:23 AM

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill

...and my favorite is Queen Elvis, which has One Long Pair Of Eyes on it, one of my favorite tracks of all time.

I've also got Groovy Decoy and Perspex Island, which have some cool tracks as well. Hitchcock's got a twisted sense of humour.

I 'spose I could put some tracks on a disc, if you wanted to hear more from him. PM me.

fp