What's with CBS HD TV Broadcasts No Widescreen? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's with CBS HD TV Broadcasts No Widescreen?

EdwardGein
08-25-2005, 12:30 AM
It seems lately I've notced that the shows I watch on CBS HD in prime time aren't full widescreen HD? What's with this. Are they the only network that does this? are all NFL games this year going to be in HD? Can someone please explain this to me once again:
Can old TV shows that weren't filmed in HD be converted to HD? Is it expensive? Can't these old shows be shown in the widescreen format withotu distortion- i.e. as someone else posted, the old shows on TNT HD are stretched or something and are noticeably distorted. Do they think we're all stupid and don't notice that. I 'd rather see it widescreen but in bars.

recoveryone
08-25-2005, 09:13 AM
I notice the same thing Ed, I just think CBS is cutting back on their HD programing. NBC is not much better about it. ABC and FOX are the best I seen all sports and primetime shows are HD and 5.1

recoveryone
09-04-2005, 11:31 AM
You see Ed, the U.S. open was broadcast in HD and 5.1. CBS is just being cheap about other telecast. I was a little pissed that no one broadcast any college games in HD in the day time only ESPN did one ( Georgia vs ?) at night. I hope they pick up the pace with the NFL games.

EdwardGein
09-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Wow, I thought most sports events were broadcast in HD except for the odd one or two. Wow. I think the CBS Prime Time broadcasts are in HD but not full widescreen or am I wrong here. Help someone? I'm assuming if something is on my HD channel its HD or is this wrong. In other words channel 1102 CBS HD will not show a non HD broadcast that is on Channel 2 CBS or am I completely wrong?

s dog
09-04-2005, 06:12 PM
It seems lately I've notced that the shows I watch on CBS HD in prime time aren't full widescreen HD? What's with this. Are they the only network that does this? are all NFL games this year going to be in HD? Can someone please explain this to me once again:
Can old TV shows that weren't filmed in HD be converted to HD? Is it expensive? Can't these old shows be shown in the widescreen format withotu distortion- i.e. as someone else posted, the old shows on TNT HD are stretched or something and are noticeably distorted. Do they think we're all stupid and don't notice that. I 'd rather see it widescreen but in bars.
Why does some hd programing seem to look better than others, I watched ga-tech vs auburn on hdespn and i didnot think it look that great i mean it was ok but when they showed the whole field i didnot think it looked every good but on the hand close up shots of the players looked real good , also why does dschd channel look better than everything i get, also my ota pbs nature shows look great , I get the indy colts on cbs where i live and so far none of there preseason games have been in hd, i sure hope this changes when the reg season gets going

recoveryone
09-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Wow, I thought most sports events were broadcast in HD except for the odd one or two. Wow. I think the CBS Prime Time broadcasts are in HD but not full widescreen or am I wrong here. Help someone? I'm assuming if something is on my HD channel its HD or is this wrong. In other words channel 1102 CBS HD will not show a non HD broadcast that is on Channel 2 CBS or am I completely wrong?
Your HD channels will still show a broadcast even if it is not in full HD mode. You will get the gray bars on the sides and most will only send a digital stereo sound signal. And Yes ESPN was the only ones to show a college game in HD and it was a night game. Now tonight NBC is showing the Nextel cup race in Fontana CA in full HD and 5.1 sound ( I only live 15 miles away lol). Can't wait for Thursday and watch the first NFL game on ABC, Im sure it will be full HD 5.1.

EdwardGein
09-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Just to make sure I fully understand you, when a show like the "Apprentice" is on NBC HD, I'm sure most of you have at least tuned it in once, if it is not full 16:9 widescreen, no matter how good the picture looks, it is not being broadcast in HD? I'm not talking about gray bars for a 4:3 picture on widescreen but some kind of grey bars border over the show. I'd like to know as I'll write letters of complaints to the networks- if enough people complain maybe they'll take notice.

gonefishin
09-05-2005, 06:34 AM
Hey, after all...there's nothing stating that any channel has to provide HD.

My favorite is when they simply offer a digital broadcast in a zoom version to give the appearance of full screen. I haven't seen this as much any more...but you can still find it from time to time.

when HD is in HD...it sure is nice :)

dan

recoveryone
09-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Just to make sure I fully understand you, when a show like the "Apprentice" is on NBC HD, I'm sure most of you have at least tuned it in once, if it is not full 16:9 widescreen, no matter how good the picture looks, it is not being broadcast in HD? I'm not talking about gray bars for a 4:3 picture on widescreen but some kind of grey bars border over the show. I'd like to know as I'll write letters of complaints to the networks- if enough people complain maybe they'll take notice.
If that show is not full 16:9 then is is not full HD it may be just a digital picture being broadcast. HD is full 16:9 and 5.1 or at least some type of digital surround. Some companies get around that part by only sending out a 2.1 or 2.0 sound signal ( PBS & ESPN) but the picture is still awesome

EdwardGein
09-06-2005, 06:07 PM
If that show is not full 16:9 then is is not full HD it may be just a digital picture being broadcast. HD is full 16:9 and 5.1 or at least some type of digital surround. Some companies get around that part by only sending out a 2.1 or 2.0 sound signal ( PBS & ESPN) but the picture is still awesome

So the Apprentice is not in HD?

recoveryone
09-07-2005, 06:12 AM
From what you have stated about the way it looks, I would have to say No