Problems receiving digital (audio) using Comcast digital cable... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Problems receiving digital (audio) using Comcast digital cable...

puma122
08-24-2005, 06:24 PM
I am using optical fiber directly from the cable box to my Denon receiver. I have gone into my setup for the Receiver and made sure that I have set the channel to use the digital output = Optical 1. I also have RCA cables connected for non digital signals.

Unfortunately, I am not getting any sound when I set this to digital. If I set it to auto, it goes to analog. (I assume that is picking up the RCA cables...)

I've gone through similar excercise for the DVD player on the DVD channel. This gives me a digital source, and goes to dolby digital. Therefore, I assume I'm setting it up somewhat correctly...

Anyone have any ideas what is going on? Is the 79.99 dollar Comcast Digital package I have somehow not broadcasting in digital audio? I've gone to the HDTV broadcast for HBO, and boy, the picture looks good. However, no digital sound...Is there a better channel to tune into for Dolby digital sound?

Help! :)

recoveryone
08-25-2005, 09:18 AM
I am using optical fiber directly from the cable box to my Denon receiver. I have gone into my setup for the Receiver and made sure that I have set the channel to use the digital output = Optical 1. I also have RCA cables connected for non digital signals.

Unfortunately, I am not getting any sound when I set this to digital. If I set it to auto, it goes to analog. (I assume that is picking up the RCA cables...)

I've gone through similar excercise for the DVD player on the DVD channel. This gives me a digital source, and goes to dolby digital. Therefore, I assume I'm setting it up somewhat correctly...

Anyone have any ideas what is going on? Is the 79.99 dollar Comcast Digital package I have somehow not broadcasting in digital audio? I've gone to the HDTV broadcast for HBO, and boy, the picture looks good. However, no digital sound...Is there a better channel to tune into for Dolby digital sound?

Help! :)
First go through the sound setup on the Comcast box to make sure you have it set to send the Digital signal, the default setting is analog for these boxes

puma122
08-25-2005, 11:25 AM
First go through the sound setup on the Comcast box to make sure you have it set to send the Digital signal, the default setting is analog for these boxes

Yes, I have looked at the comcast Audio setup options, and none appear to be what I am looking for. They have stereo, advanced stereo and then some compression settings...I've kind of played with each, but they really don't appear to be related to digital outputs...I have a brand new Motorolla.

Sorry for the lack of specifics on the reply, I'm not in front of the box...

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

EdwardGein
08-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Just call them up and they'll have someone come to your house for free. I'd also as someone else says make sure it delivers (5.1) digital sound. IE, on my HD DVR Receiver from Time Warner that is also the digital cable box, on the 8000 model, you did not get proper digital 5.1 sound or even do I think proper stereo sound if you: 1. Connected an optical cable to your receiver, 2. Used analogue cables to connect to your receiver from the DVR, But you would at least get proper stereo sound only if you went from your actual TV (monitor I think) outputs to your receiver. With the Scientific Atlanta 8300 model there is no proble as you use the digital cable. By the way you will get better TV sound with a glass fiber optics cable that you can get on Ebay for $20 or so. As I said though, the easiest thing is for someone from your cable company to physically check it out. Good luck.