Anyone going to see the Stones this time around? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to see the Stones this time around?

Mr Peabody
08-23-2005, 04:55 PM
The Rolling Stones decided to come to my town. The best tickets are only $350.00 with a $20 to $25.00 service charge PER seat. Aside from that I don't have much desire to see them. I like their music and some in my collection but they are also one of those bands that radio has burned the magic off. Another reason is I have never heard a live Stones performance that sounded very good. I have never seen them live but the videos and live recordings I've heard were all terrible, it was difficult to tell which song they were singing.

So, where are you all on this? Am I missing the boat?

Dave_G
08-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Nah.

Not for me is this band, especially live.

Too big, too old.

Give me The Flower Kings in a 600 seat theatre for 30 dollars.

Regards,

Dave

MasterCylinder
08-24-2005, 04:32 AM
Hell no !

For one thing, they have not put out any good music since EXILE (what was that, mid-70s ?), and for another, they don't play very well. I've seen them live twice and both times, they were just so-so. The best musicians on stage were the fillers hired to make them sound decent.

Just like ZZ Top, they have become more of a novelty act than a good display of talent.

From now on, I will only attend shows that have musicians that are actively pushing for something new or better, i.e., Porky Tree, Dream Theater.

ForeverAutumn
08-28-2005, 05:50 AM
$350????? Well, that just tells me that it's not about the music and creating new fans. Nor is it about satisfying the average fan (who, couldn't afford a decent seat at that price). It's about making money. Can you hear John Lennon?...."Those of you up front, rattle your jewelry"...or something like that.

I saw The Stones a couple of years ago at a big festival. I paid $25 for the whole day and watched them on a screen about a kilometre from the stage. They were merely "ok". I've never been a huge Stones fan, but with all the hype that surrounds them, I was expecting them to be much, much better than they actually were. I can't blame the mediocre performance on the distance from the stage either. We watched the whole festival from there and, honestly, the headlining Stones were the worst act of the day.

I didn't think that they were worth $25. I definately don't think that they're worth $350. I mean, really...that's a car payment!

ForeverAutumn
08-28-2005, 06:32 AM
I was curious, so I checked Ticketmaster to see what ticket prices are in my city.

Top price is $450 CDN (plus $25.25 in fees) for floors. Next price is $160 for the stands. Then $99. Then $60.

All seats in the stands, at all price levels are sold out. However, if you wanted to spend $450 a seat, you can still get excellent floor seats (row 19 just off centre). And tickets have been on sale since May for the September show, so it's not like people just haven't gotten around to buying their tickets yet.

I guess that people aren't as willing to miss a car payment as whoever sets these ticket prices would like to believe. The floor should be the first seats to sell out, not the last. It sure won't look very good when the Stones play to an empty floor section.

I think that someone missed a basic economics lesson.

Swish
08-28-2005, 12:44 PM
but not enough to shell out the kind of money they're asking for tickets. I can afford to pay it, but why would I? These guys aren't just over the hill, they've completely down the other side, and I don't believe they would put on a very good show these days. They certainly earned their place in R & R history and can be mentioned in the same breath with the likes of the Beatles, the Who, Hendrix, Dylan, Beulah...ok the last one is a joke, but you know that I mean.

Swish

NP: WOXY on the web. Nice tunes.

nobody
08-28-2005, 01:05 PM
I like my old Stones albums just fine, but like said, its not like they've got some great new material to show off. You're gonna get them doing bored versions of the same crap they've played 6,000 times already.

Besides, I just find this really funny since I always hear how the Rolling Stones were supposed to be all gritty rock 'n' roll and that. Well, I can't see how gritty rock 'n' roll a show is gonna be when you pay 350 bucks to come rub elbows with a bunch of lawyers and investment brokers who can accually afford to be there.

If I want a down and dirty rock 'n' roll night, I can head to one of several bars around, pay a 5 dollar cover, if that, and have the band sweat on me while I guzzle cheap beer and watch bikers fight.

Swish
08-28-2005, 01:21 PM
I like my old Stones albums just fine, but like said, its not like they've got some great new material to show off. You're gonna get them doing bored versions of the same crap they've played 6,000 times already.

Besides, I just find this really funny since I always hear how the Rolling Stones were supposed to be all gritty rock 'n' roll and that. Well, I can't see how gritty rock 'n' roll a show is gonna be when you pay 350 bucks to come rub elbows with a bunch of lawyers and investment brokers who can accually afford to be there.

If I want a down and dirty rock 'n' roll night, I can head to one of several bars around, pay a 5 dollar cover, if that, and have the band sweat on me while I guzzle cheap beer and watch bikers fight.

where and when. I'll wear something to blend in so I won't look like such a yuppie geek so I don't get my a<s>ss kicked by those bikers.

Swish Daddy

nobody
08-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Look me up anytime you're in St. Louis.

Swish
08-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Look me up anytime you're in St. Louis.

I've only been there once, but I'm a huge Cardinals fan, and have been since I was a kid. I live sorta close to Philly so I should be a Phillies fan, but Danny Ozark ruined that for me. I do like the Flyers and the Eagles, but I couldn't care less about their baseball team.
St. Lou is a long way to go to party, but I'd really like to travel there to see them in a home game, and then you're on! I've seen 'em plenty of times in NY playing the Mets (use ot live in North Jersey) and, of course, in Philly.

Swish

Mr Peabody
08-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Here's how much the Stones love there fans, tickets went on sale Saturday but the fan club could buy before that on line. Well to join the fan club it only cost $100.00!!

Good point about no good music from them recently. Their set list reflects that as well. I haven't heard the new album but not overly impressed with the single.

ForeverAutumn
08-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Here's how much the Stones love there fans, tickets went on sale Saturday but the fan club could buy before that on line. Well to join the fan club it only cost $100.00!!

Good point about no good music from them recently. Their set list reflects that as well. I haven't heard the new album but not overly impressed with the single.

According to Ticketmaster, if you buy tickets for the show in Toronto, you get a free membership to the Stones fan club. It's probably the same for other cities too, I would think. The son of one of my husband's friends is a member. Apparently, he joined about 10 years ago for about $10. When the Stones recently played a little club show here (they've been here all summer rehearsing) to rehearse in front of an audience, the fan club contacted him and put his name on the guest list. So, I guess membership does have its privilages. :rolleyes:

This same guy, the friend's son, named his daughter Jagger. At least it's only a middle name. :eek: