DVD ripping - kid's videos [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD ripping - kid's videos

noddin0ff
08-23-2005, 10:42 AM
I haven't used any DVD duplication software. I'm Mac OS X based. I've read a little about Roxio's Popcorn.

I've got a typically impatient toddler who likes to watch movies. But kid's DVD's (we own) seem particularly hard to navigate to the movie. There's the studio logos, the FBI warnings, Interpol, More studio logos, 5 hours of previews, menu option lockouts...Not only is this extremely tiring for dad, who often cues up the same movie several times a week, the toddler just about loses it waiting for the movie to begin. I almost wish we could go back to VCR. As a parent, I feel I should be able to decide that my child not be forced to watch endless commercials, etc.

Will a product like Popcorn, allow me to make a disk that just starts up the movie directly? I swear the first thing my kid will be able to read will be the FBI warning.

We can all assume that copy protection is not an issue...thank you.

EdwardGein
08-23-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm assuming your DVD is sold in commercial retail stores. I'd say there is a 90% chance or higher it is decrypted. Why don't you just save yourself the hassle & download, its free DVD Shrink. I don't think in a country where they apparently knew some of the 9-11 terrorists a year beforehand but didn't want to hassle them then because they were afraid we would be violating their rights, someone is going to go into your house & arrest you for making a DVD back-up for your own use of a kids decrypted DVD. Besides which I don't think they want the publicity of people knowing theres a huge amount of free decrypting software on the Internet like DVD Shrink.

noddin0ff
08-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks EdG, I doubt anything by Disney is decrypted, maybe I'm wrong. But, I'm not worried about decryption etc. I've used software on the Mac platform to rip to my hard drive, e.g. removing Macrovision, encryption, and region codes etc. But that was several years ago. I've never yet used an application to actually burn movie DVD's. I've burned lots of data DVD's.

Unfortunately, DVD Shrink is PC and not Mac.

But, what I'm wondering is if these applications let you get rid of all the junk on the DVD. I would like to make backups of my kids videos that are JUST the movie. Put it in, the movie plays. No menus, no FBI. Will these programs let me do that? Roxio's Popcorn was the only Mac based one that came to mind, there's likely others. Does anyone have experience with Mactheripper or DVDBackup, both freeware? Or any Mac suggestions?

paul_pci
08-23-2005, 12:25 PM
If you go to the roxio website and read up on Popcorn, you'll see they list a feature called flexible extraction where you can go straight to the main movie. And at 50 bucks, that doesn't sound like too bad of a deal

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/popcorn/index.jhtml

noddin0ff
08-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks Paul,

I just started looking into mactheripper266 (freeware) for Mac OSX. The manual suggests that it will do what I would like it to do. There's a 'main feature extraction' option. These apps have come a long way in the last few years...

Upon launch you get this. I thought it was worth a chuckle considering all the "is it legal?" posts.

EdwardGein
08-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Don't know about Mac's but DVD Shrink and I'm sure others, let you just burn the movie if you want, not the extras or menus, etc. The way DVD Shrink works is before it does anything, it analyzes what is on the DVD and lets you keep what you wish- like it shows menu & the space it takes up, the movie iteself & the space, extras & space, etc. If somehow the coming attractions is stuck in the movie then you can't take that out but I'm not sure if it does.

I'm on record as publically saying don't mess with Disney! They will sue you over 5 cents & they don't care if it costs them millions. If it's Disney I'd guess 100% its encrypted.

EdwardGein
08-23-2005, 02:53 PM
"Any reproduction without the approval of major league baseball is forbidden by the Commisioner of Baseball."

I wonder in the order of Presidental Succession's (Vice President, Seretary of State, etc.) where the Commisioner of Baseball is?