Which phono preamp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which phono preamp?

Les Adams
08-23-2005, 07:07 AM
The final (for now) upgrade to my system is going to be a s/hand outboard phono stage to run my V15Vxmr into a line input instead of using the on-board Denon device, but I am undecided which model to buy.

I have been looking on Ebay at the Creek OBH18 and the Musical Fidelity XLPS. I am confused slightly because there seems to have been 3 versions of the XLPS and I can not find any conclusive details as to what the differences are and how each version compares to the Creek.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me and perhaps offer some advice?

Also, is there another phono stage for around 150 pounds that would be better than either of these?

Arturo7
08-23-2005, 07:44 PM
If you're handy, you can't go wrong with Bottlehead. Tube sound for $280 US. (I think that's about 150P?)

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/et.html

squeegy200
08-25-2005, 10:48 AM
If you're handy, you can't go wrong with Bottlehead. Tube sound for $280 US. (I think that's about 150P?)

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/et.html

I built one of these this past spring. It is amazing for high output MM cartridges.Works very well with my Grado Reference Platinum.

I've spied a handful of these Phono stages attached to some very high end systems at a couple of shows.

Kaboom
08-25-2005, 02:29 PM
i've been eyeing the bottlehead gear for a VERY long time now, since i think DIY is WAY cool and tubes are WAY cool. i think this preamp would make a nice introduction to tubes for not too much money, specially now that its on offer with upgraded parts, but still 300 bucks is quite a lot of money for me at the moment and i'd like to know if there's anything sonically superior at that price, be it solid state or tubed.
I'm currently running a Btech 926 which is basically a miserable NAD PP2 knockoff.
So is this bottlehead gear as amazing as they say, despite its rather poor measurements?
Cheers!

squeegy200
08-25-2005, 02:33 PM
i've been eyeing the bottlehead gear for a VERY long time now, since i think DIY is WAY cool and tubes are WAY cool. i think this preamp would make a nice introduction to tubes for not too much money, specially now that its on offer with upgraded parts, but still 300 bucks is quite a lot of money for me at the moment and i'd like to know if there's anything sonically superior at that price, be it solid state or tubed.
I'm currently running a Btech 926 which is basically a miserable NAD PP2 knockoff.
So is this bottlehead gear as amazing as they say, despite its rather poor measurements?
Cheers!

In stock form, the Bottlehead gear does have some background noise. This can be reduced by using better solder, higher grade parts, and better care in the assembly stage. There are other hop up kits which drop the noise floor even further. But what is fascinating is the vast knowledgebase that is readily available for tuning, repairs, and upgrades.

What I like is that bottlehead products are just pure and simple point to point designs. They use decent quality hardware but you are free to upgrade using your own select parts if desired.

The Foreplay III is the easiest of the kits. I thought its performance surpassed many Preamps I've tried in my system up to 10x purchase price.

I've used the BTech 926 and the phono stage in an NAD 3020(Which may be similar to the PP2) and I preferred the Seduction. I use a Grado Reference and I liked the Seduction with it better than the $500 Grado Phono stage.

hifitommy
08-28-2005, 06:53 AM
a FINE phono stage and the 1020 is the same stage in a stand alone confiuration. designed by tom holman (THX), its as good as you can get for anywhere near the money.

another recommendation to consider is the hagerman bugle kit. the easy way out is the 3020/1020.

squeegy200
08-29-2005, 02:19 PM
a FINE phono stage and the 1020 is the same stage in a stand alone confiuration. designed by tom holman (THX), its as good as you can get for anywhere near the money.

another recommendation to consider is the hagerman bugle kit. the easy way out is the 3020/1020.

hifitommy, I learn something from you everyday. ;)

I bought an NAD 3020 way back in 1982 and its still in operation. Wonderful piece of equipment.

I picked up another NAD 3020 at a swap meet with functional tuner for $99. They are out there and a bargain at that price. It can serve as a good MM phono stage or as a preamp as well.

Les Adams
09-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Thanks to eveyone for your help, unfortunately i am not much of a DIY person, so I decided to go ahead and purchase a Trichord Dino. I am waiting for it to arrive and hopefully it will give me the improvement I am looking for.

Les Adams
09-12-2005, 02:41 PM
As you can see from the list below, the Trichord Dino phono amp arrived and is installed. It makes a tremendous improvement over the Denon's built-in device. I would certainly recommend this as a very fine preamp and a worthwhile upgrade. Every aspect of the sound is improved and it was worth every penny. I am using the standard PSU for the time being, but I will probably upgrade it when funds permit.<O:p</O:p

My only criticism is that the Dino is in a plastic box that offers virtually no electrical screening. I had to position it very carefully to avoid getting hum. Also, it picks up interference from my mobile phone from 3mtrs away! I suppose at least it lets me know when there is a call! "Clickety-clickety-click" over the system!<O:p></O:p>