5.1 Dolby Surround? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 Dolby Surround?

L.J.
08-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Can anyone explain what 5.1 Dolby surround is? Is it just another name for Dolby Surround? I ask because the DVD encoded with this only produced a LF, RF and S signal.

noddin0ff
08-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Try this
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/tech_overview.html

If it says 5.1 it is encoded for L+R front, L+R rear, Center Front, and Sub. However some movies don't have a lot of sound coming from the rears.

L.J.
08-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Try this
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/tech_overview.html

If it says 5.1 it is encoded for L+R front, L+R rear, Center Front, and Sub. However some movies don't have a lot of sound coming from the rears.

It's weird. I'm getting a digital signal and only my L & R fronts and a mono S is displaying on my denon's display screen. The center and LFE are receiving no signal. Could the disc be bad? The audio options on the DVD only allows you to select Dolby Surround english or french. The back of the DVD case even has the DD logo but I'm not getting 5 discrete channels of sound. Has anyone come across this. I have over 100 DVD's and I have never seen this before.

N. Abstentia
08-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Chances are slim to nil that the disc is bad. First of all make sure it's a 5.1 disc. Just because it says Dolby Digital does not mean it's 5.1. It sounds like from what you're saying it's a mono signal, or Dolby Digital 1.0..what is the DVD?

L.J.
08-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Chances are slim to nil that the disc is bad. First of all make sure it's a 5.1 disc. Just because it says Dolby Digital does not mean it's 5.1. It sounds like from what you're saying it's a mono signal, or Dolby Digital 1.0..what is the DVD?

The DVD is The Abyss(Special Edition). The features listed on the back of the case states that it's 5.1 Dolby Surround. My only audio option in the DVD's menu is to select english Dolby Surround. I have never seen this before. The Dolby Digital logo is located at the bottom of the back of the case. Should I be taking a trip back to BB?

BRANDONH
08-23-2005, 07:35 AM
The DVD is The Abyss(Special Edition). The features listed on the back of the case states that it's 5.1 Dolby Surround. My only audio option in the DVD's menu is to select english Dolby Surround. I have never seen this before. The Dolby Digital logo is located at the bottom of the back of the case. Should I be taking a trip back to BB?

Product Details

* Starring: Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, See more
* Director: James Cameron
* Encoding: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)
* Format: Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen
* Audio Encoding: Dolby Digital 5.0, Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
* Rated: PG-13 \
* Studio: Twentieth Century Fox Home Video
* DVD Release Date: June 1, 2004
* Run Time: 171
* DVD Features:
o Available subtitles: English, Spanish
o Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.0), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround)
o Multi-Story Option: Viewer can select original theatrical release (145 min.) or special edition release with 28 minutes of added footage
o Text-only commentary option for both versions
o DVD-ROM script and storyboard-to-screen comparison
* From IMDb: Quotes & Trivia
* ASIN: B00005V9IL
* Other Formats: DVD, DVD, DVD
* Average Customer Review: 4.5 out of 5 stars Based on 300 reviews. Write a review.
* Amazon.com Sales Rank: #3,581 in DVD

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096754/

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-23-2005, 07:53 AM

What color is the box? I had the same problem with this title. I bought the blue box version first. Bought it home, and found only a Dolby surround track. Went back to BB, saw a white box with the same "special edition" on it, and guess what? This one had the 5.1 soundtrack on it. Get the edition in the white box and you'll get the 5.1 soundtrack.

L.J.
08-23-2005, 08:44 AM
What color is the box? I had the same problem with this title. I bought the blue box version first. Bought it home, and found only a Dolby surround track. Went back to BB, saw a white box with the same "special edition" on it, and guess what? This one had the 5.1 soundtrack on it. Get the edition in the white box and you'll get the 5.1 soundtrack.

I got the blue case which was only $9.99. The white case was $20.99. What I dont understand is why does it say 5.1 Dolby Surround. Seems like it should just say Dolby Surround. BB wont let you return opened DVD's so I guess I'm stuck with it. I've gotten into waaay to many fights with the people at BB, so I'll just keep it. It doesn't sound bad using DPLIIx, but it is no where close to DD.

08-23-2005, 09:05 AM
I got the blue case which was only $9.99. The white case was $20.99. What I dont understand is why does it say 5.1 Dolby Surround. Seems like it should just say Dolby Surround. BB wont let you return opened DVD's so I guess I'm stuck with it. I've gotten into waaay to many fights with the people at BB, so I'll just keep it. It doesn't sound bad using DPLIIx, but it is no where close to DD.

I got the same response when I returned mine. They didn't want to take it back. I asked for the store manager, told him I spend alot of money in the store on a monthly basis, and if he didn't allow the exchange, I would never spend another dime in his store. He promptly exchanged it because he knew I was a constant every tuesday customer. Money talks!

mustang
08-23-2005, 09:51 AM
I also have this DVD but it is in a gray box. I've tried both versions of the film and both let me select the 5.1 sound track. It is one of those menus that I find cunfusing though. At first I wasn't sure which track I had actually selected. It had blue text on the top; Audio Options. On the bottom; 2.0 or 5.1. At first I I thought I was selecting 5.1 because it was in blue lettering, but I actually selected the 2.0 that was lit in white. With this being an older DVD it also defaults to the 2.0(Dolby Surround) track if you just push play.

Pyrrho
08-23-2005, 10:08 AM
It's weird. I'm getting a digital signal and only my L & R fronts and a mono S is displaying on my denon's display screen. The center and LFE are receiving no signal. Could the disc be bad? The audio options on the DVD only allows you to select Dolby Surround english or french. The back of the DVD case even has the DD logo but I'm not getting 5 discrete channels of sound. Has anyone come across this. I have over 100 DVD's and I have never seen this before.

If you cannot find the 5.1 soundtrack in the menu, try using your "audio" button on the remote for your DVD player while you are playing the movie. Some discs do not have a menu option for changing audio options, but can be switched via the control on your player.

Please let me know if this works for you with this disc.

L.J.
08-23-2005, 10:15 AM
I got the same response when I returned mine. They didn't want to take it back. I asked for the store manager, told him I spend alot of money in the store on a monthly basis, and if he didn't allow the exchange, I would never spend another dime in his store. He promptly exchanged it because he knew I was a constant every tuesday customer. Money talks!

Man I tried that same approach. These people will not budge. Like I said I have gotten into a few little wars with BB, even calling corporate office a few times. Their customer service really sucks. But guess what? I still walk through their doors and still give them my money. I'm just really careful with what I buy and hold on to my receipts for dear life.

08-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Man I tried that same approach. These people will not budge. Like I said I have gotten into a few little wars with BB, even calling corporate office a few times. Their customer service really sucks. But guess what? I still walk through their doors and still give them my money. I'm just really careful with what I buy and hold on to my receipts for dear life.

LJ,
I just came at them New York puerto rican style, asked the manager how many times in the last three months has he saw me in here. He admitted that he remember seeing me quite a bit. I told him when I am in town, I am in here every Tuesday. I told him I bought my widescreen tv here, my portable DVD player here, one of my DVD players here along with about 60 DVD's in the last three months right in this store. I told him if he wanted to keep me in here spending, that he would do right by me if he would exchange it. He ended up giving me a even exchange, even though the one I bought was $9.99, and the one I exchanged for was $22.99. Were buddies now. It also helped that I kept my receipt. LOL

L.J.
08-23-2005, 06:49 PM
O.K. I went into my denon's(not the DVD's) audio options and it is receiving a 2.0 signal. Why, can anyone please answer, is this DVD labled as having 5.1 anything? My denon is sending a LF&RF signal to my recv. My recv says it's receiving a LF, RF, and mono S signal from the DVD player.????????

Well I guess I'm about due for a good old fashioned fight with BB anyways. If anything I'll relieve some stress.

Dolby
08-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Mabe it's marked wrong?

I had that was the Fast & Furious I bought in South Africa. It said DTS, but there was no option or sound track. They let me swop it out, and I got the UK version which had it