RIP Robert Moog, Synthesizer Creator [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP Robert Moog, Synthesizer Creator

Woochifer
08-22-2005, 12:34 PM
To those of us who've followed music since the pre-digital age, the Moog name is synonymous with the electronic synthesizer, much like the instant word association between Les Paul and the electric guitar. I remember when the Moog synthesizers were everywhere and defined much of the sound from its era, and the pictures of the large early modular Moog models show how quickly and how far the state of the electronic keyboard evolved in a short time. Consider that the first Moogs came out in the mid-60s, and by the early-80s, the then-new generation of digital keyboards like the Yamaha DX-7 had begun supplanting the Moogs and their analog counterparts. But, Robert Moog definitely had an immeasurable influence over pop music, and was a pioneer in his day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/22/technology/22cnd-moog.html?ei=5094&en=04cfcfebd7ec6753&hp=&ex=1124769600&partner=homepage&pagewanted=print

Mr MidFi
08-22-2005, 01:50 PM
RIP, Mr. Moog.

The first concert I ever went to was ELP. That ginormous synth that Keith Emerson played still gives me nightmares to this day.

Trivial knowledge to impress your friends: His name was actually pronounced more like "Moge" (with a long O and hard G sound).

dean_martin
08-22-2005, 02:45 PM
RIP

A couple of months ago I was listening to Beck or Beastie Boys or some such act and heard a very familiar sample. I pulled out and dusted off my old vinyl copy of "Moog: The Electric Eclectics of Dick Hyman" and there it was. I think I'll give that album a spin tonight.

Dusty Chalk
08-22-2005, 10:45 PM
:-(

RIP, Bob. He was always a go-getter.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-23-2005, 04:44 AM
Wow. The first 4 channel discrete analog tape I ever bought was by Tomita. It was Pictures of a Dream and Night on Bald Mountain all done by nothing more than multracks of the moog synthesizer. This was a true pioneer.

ToddL
08-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Just wanted to pay respect. I love playing music and my Moog is my favourite instrument.

Woochifer
08-23-2005, 10:42 AM
RIP, Mr. Moog.

The first concert I ever went to was ELP. That ginormous synth that Keith Emerson played still gives me nightmares to this day.

Trivial knowledge to impress your friends: His name was actually pronounced more like "Moge" (with a long O and hard G sound).

I remember listening to a radio interview with him, and it was strange hearing the host constantly go back and forth with the pronunciations.

"We are here tonight with Robert MOAG, creator of the MOOOOOOOG synthesizer." Amazing how much of the music from that time period had his imprint on it.

MasterCylinder
08-24-2005, 05:06 AM
During the mid-70s, nothing had a bigger impact on the rock world than the unique voice of the mini-Moog. Even though it is a monophonic instrument, it carried the weight and did it wonderfully.

(Can't you now hear the opening bars of STYX,,,,,,,,The Grand Illusion" ?.....or any of Wakeman's work on "Close to the Edge").

This instrument was also one of the first to provide the player with a wheel on the left hand to "bend" the pitch.
The moog line of synthesizers were so innovative, they actually caused a new wave of vocabulary in the bands that were lucky enough to be using them at the time

See Bob's page at this link:
http://www.moogmusic.com/

Mr Peabody
09-01-2005, 06:33 PM
I was scanning the FM the other morning on my way to work and heard an interesting piece as I landed on the Classical station. They were playing composer Wendy Carlos who has done about 4 CD's of Bach reproduced on the Synth. As I was researching her on Amazon they linked me to a few different artists, some classical but also to "Electronica". I found a Japanese artist who I think I will pick up something by Iaso Tomita. I hope I remember how his name was spelled. At this point Electronica seems like more of a novelty thing, I don't think I can sit and get into listening to it for long periods of time. But maybe, if it isn't too repetetive

Dusty Chalk
09-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Tomita was quite masterful at doing quirky interpretations -- albeit straight, melodically -- of "standard" classical pieces. I don't care what Holst's estate thought of it, but I enjoyed his version of The Planets, as well as Pictures at an Exhibition, and Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite. Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks, for example, takes the cinematic aspect to the Disney level, if that analogy makes any sense.

I think it's Isao Tomita (I remember him as "I-see-a-tomato", inside-out, kinda).

And yes, a lot of it was done with Moog synthesizers (all of it was done with synthesizers -- the man had a collection to kill for, and he was a programmer extraordinaire -- I have yet to hear some of his patches duplicated. Ever.).

mixadude
09-01-2005, 11:49 PM
I met him at a MIDI development conference I did sound for in the '70s. Trippy guy.

RIP.

MasterCylinder
09-02-2005, 04:15 AM
Mr. Peabody.................

Dusty is correct on the Tomita releases..........follow his guidance there.

As far as (Walter) Wendy Carlos goes.......the very best release was the first -- the original "Switched On Bach". I have this in vinyl and in CD. I think MoFi did a gold disc on this one but it might be difficult to find.

BTW, the original Switched On Bach musician will not be reflected as Wendy but, rather, Walter.........before the operation..........really.........no shyte !

Mr Peabody
09-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Yip; the samples of Planets caught my ear right away and it's on my next purchase.