Replace or repair old components [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replace or repair old components

JimMueller
08-22-2005, 11:58 AM
I've got an aging set of components and things have slowly begun to go awry as electronics do. Of note...

- My Sony pre-amp began having problems. All surround modes emit a constant tone, and sometimes if I toggle between modes I can get just the Dolby working. Static when rotating the volume knob, etc.

- My Velodyne subwoofer doesn't turn on when power is applied (known good outlet)

- The Dragon needs minor maintenance.

- The HSU80 needs maintenance.

Other than that, I'm sure things have improved a lot in the last 10-15 years. Where do I draw the line at replacing the equipment vs. repairing it and finding more things wrong with the equipment when it's returned to me than when it was delivered?

topspeed
08-22-2005, 12:54 PM
My opinion:

* Toss the Sony. Too many new formats (like DTS) that you aren't taking advantage of. The static in the volume can be remedied by cleaning the pot, but why bother?

* How old is the Velo? Is there any sign of driver wear? You could just have a blown fuse or bad switch. I might get this one repaired if the sub was great when it ran.

* If this is a Nak Dragon, absolutely keep this.

* See Velo remarks.

Repairing vs. replacing is often a very personal decision. I had my old Marantz 2230 completely reconditioned and biased at the cost of $125 even though it probably isn't worth much more than that on e-bay. I did it due to sentimental reasons (originally, it's my Dad's) and because it sounds so great (better than my decades newer Denon). Certain pieces, like a Nak Dragon, are no-brainers, even if you don't listen to cassettes any more. In the end, only you can decide if it's worth it or not because hey, it's your money.

JimMueller
08-23-2005, 03:43 AM
Even though I rarely listen to cassettes or watch video tapes, I still I have a decent quantity of media - as well as being partial to the industrial nature of the Nak Dragon and Mits HSU80.

The Velodyne worked well, and I'm going to get an estimate on the repair.

The Sony, well, I played with it some more last night. It appears the digital inputs stopped working, and the only surround mode which works corectly is Dolby. The others randomly spurt feedback.

Where can I find current generation models with a large number of input/outputs, while still being a true pre-amp (not a receiver)? I'd prefer to have extra input/outputs than be limited in the future.

topspeed
08-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Where can I find current generation models with a large number of input/outputs, while still being a true pre-amp (not a receiver)? I'd prefer to have extra input/outputs than be limited in the future.Oh man, there are a ton of pre/pro's you can choose. I'd also be careful what you wish for as "large number of inputs/outputs" doesn't begin to describe the initial horror most two channel guys suffer the first time they gaze upon the back panel of a modern pre/pro. That said, one of my favorites is this Parasound Halo C2 (thttp://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=PARHC2&product_name=Halo%20C2%20Controller) which has a plethora of both balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs and is upgradeable via firewire. Very clean, very neutral, and very good. It ain't cheap, but neither was the Nak. You can also find good pre/pros in varying price ranges from Aragon, PS Audio, Adcom, Lexicon, and Theta to name but a few. Trust me, selection won't be a problem.

Hope this helps.

JimMueller
09-22-2005, 01:39 PM
I got the call on the Velo. Amp is blown. The original amp isn't available, but if I can do without the remote control functionality, they have an alternative amp for ~$260. The sub worked great, I don't know what caused the amp to blow. Am I missing out on anything by repairing this unit (except the remote control functionality and $$$) vs. buying a new sub?

I'm not scared by a myriad of inputs :)

topspeed
09-22-2005, 02:33 PM
If you like the sub and feel the driver still has some legs left in it, I don't see why you wouldn't want to repair it. Lord knows you're not going to get a decent sub for the same $260 new. BTW, you might want to check with partsexpress.com and see if they have any plate amps that would work with your Velo. Just a thought.

Good luck!

JimMueller
09-22-2005, 02:57 PM
If you like the sub and feel the driver still has some legs left in it, I don't see why you wouldn't want to repair it. Lord knows you're not going to get a decent sub for the same $260 new. BTW, you might want to check with partsexpress.com and see if they have any plate amps that would work with your Velo. Just a thought.

Good luck!

OK, you got me there. What's a plate amp, and how would it be different from what they're trying to sell me?

Woochifer
09-22-2005, 08:32 PM
OK, you got me there. What's a plate amp, and how would it be different from what they're trying to sell me?

The only difference would potentially be with the size and whether it fits the cut-out on the Velodyne. The amp mount needs to be airtight if it's not separated from the sub's interior, and a generic plate amp might leave gaps. Any gaps on either a sealed or ported sub would change the frequency response characteristics and create a much peakier sound. The other thing to watch out for would be whether Velodyne did any customization to the amp by EQing the signal to create a flatter (or more extended) frequency response with the specific driver used on a particular model.

JimMueller
11-14-2005, 01:23 PM
OK, the amp was fixed by Velodyne - there were no details as to the work performed. The Sony couldn't be repaired due to parts not available.

So now I'm leaning towards the Yamaha RX-V2600 as a replacement. It appears the local shops only sell Yamaha at retail. Is it worth my time to entertain buying over the internet and "saving" $300-400? Or am I asking for headaches?