Directional speakers Height Set Up [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Directional speakers Height Set Up

EdwardGein
08-22-2005, 02:45 AM
If someone can give me some advice on this, it would be appreciated. I lowered my front satellite (Orb) speakers in my bedroom about 2' so instead of being on top of my TV they're on my dresser (the center one is still on top of my TV as there is no logistical place to put it with my dresser facing my bed) & the 2 rear speakers are now at close to the same height as the front speakers on my 2 end tables by my bed. Anyway, the sound is now so much better than before and all I did was lower 2 front speakers about 2 feet. I did this because I moved into a new place & wasn't fully satisfied with the sound in that room. I listen to the stuff obviously from my bed. What I'm wondering is in my living room where I am happy with the sound, the front speakers are positioned on my TV about 2' above my head from where I sit on my couch and the rear speakers to the left & right of me on my end tables are about 2' below my ears. Will I get better sound if I lower the fronts 2' as well or will the difference be negligible. It's a bigger more open room as well? The Orb Audio Speakers are definately directional.

markw
08-22-2005, 03:14 AM
Rather than have everyone chime in on what we expect you to hear and you telling us why you disagree, why don't you just try moving them youreslf? They are so tiny that moving them isn't a problem.

GMichael
08-22-2005, 07:19 AM
I think you answered yourself with " Orb Audio Speakers are definately directional." Sounds like you should give it a try. The worst thing that could happen is that you'll have to move them back if you don't like the change. Give it a shot.

recoveryone
08-22-2005, 02:42 PM
there could be a few different factors that come to play in the sound change in your bedroom: Room size, shape, and decor. Now for your other area, I would first move the rear speakers up higher about 2' above your ears. But when it all comes down its up to you and your taste on where they sound best.

Woochifer
08-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Hersh/Ed/whoever -

Here are the reference speaker placement recommendations in a nutshell:

Front speakers should be placed with the tweeters at ear level, and arranged in an arc equidistant to the listening position. (see diagram below)

On systems used for both movies and surround music, Dolby recommends pointing the surround speakers directly at one another and elevating the surround speakers above ear level (Dolby recommends 2' above ear level, while I've gotten decent results with about 1' of elevation)

http://www.axiomaudio.com/global/images/diagrams/dolby_digital_pro_logic2.jpg

These are the reference standards used by professionals. Whatever you define as "better" depends on your preferences and objectives.

EdwardGein
08-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks

Hersh/Ed/whoever -

Here are the reference speaker placement recommendations in a nutshell:

Front speakers should be placed with the tweeters at ear level, and arranged in an arc equidistant to the listening position. (see diagram below)

On systems used for both movies and surround music, Dolby recommends pointing the surround speakers directly at one another and elevating the surround speakers above ear level (Dolby recommends 2' above ear level, while I've gotten decent results with about 1' of elevation)

http://www.axiomaudio.com/global/images/diagrams/dolby_digital_pro_logic2.jpg

These are the reference standards used by professionals. Whatever you define as "better" depends on your preferences and objectives.