Any super furry love on the rise? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any super furry love on the rise?

Davey
08-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Tomorrow is the big day for fans of the Super Furry Animals, at least their European fans. The anxiously awaited new escapades of our heroes, the adorably named Love Kraft (spurring rumors in the Wales press (http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0900entertainment/0050artsnews/tm_objectid=15476101&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=super-furries-sex-shop-mystery-name_page.html) that it is named after the Love Craft sex shop right next to their management offices, rubber fetish gear being their specialty), hits the streets in three formats from what I've gathered, CD, hybrid SACD, and vinyl.

But loyal US fans must wait until Sept 13 for their furry fix. What's up with that? I guess Sony just doesn't have the resources to support a North American release at the same time? I mean, yeah, sure, we all love the Furries around Rave Recs land, but I hardly think it's gonna be a million selling blockbuster based on audio and music geek promotion and critical acclaim. What format are you gonna opt for? Guess the SACD is listed as a few dollars more right now and no sure if it'll even get a US release. Kind of a cool cover. They always have some strange art :)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000A78Z7S.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Slosh
08-21-2005, 07:36 AM
Ohh, cool. Guess I'll hafta see if I can pre-order the SACD. Might mean a super furry gouging if it's import only but it'll be worth it if there are some songs as good as "The Piccolo Snare" and such on it. Don't know a damn thing about the SACD but I would assume there's a multi-channel track since they did the last two albums in DTS.

Slosh
08-21-2005, 08:36 AM
The only place I could find the SACD at was amazon.uk so I went ahead and ordered it. With shipping came out to 13.28 lbs. What's that? I'm guessing around $25. Yeah, well.

No mention if it is multi-channel or hybrid but I'm guessing it's both. Hope I don't see it locally for less before it arrives. :o

Davey
08-21-2005, 10:08 AM
The only place I could find the SACD at was amazon.uk so I went ahead and ordered it. With shipping came out to 13.28 lbs. What's that? I'm guessing around $25. Yeah, well.

No mention if it is multi-channel or hybrid but I'm guessing it's both. Hope I don't see it locally for less before it arrives. :o
I've seen mention that it is both hybrid and MC. Definitely hybrid. It's a digipak from what I saw. A few other places have it listed, but I don't think any are cheaper than amazon.uk unless you live in Europe, in which case you can get it for the same price and delivered for free from places like play.com.

Should be a good one. I also hope they moved further into that proggy "Piccolo Snare" direction. Great stuff.

Slosh
08-27-2005, 05:16 AM
The SACD arrived yesterday. I've only had the chance to listen it once so naturally I had to try the 5.1 layer first. :) This is SFA's third 5.1 album and they obviously know what they're doing. Their music lends itself well to multi-channel and they seem to have a good feel of where and when to employ the surround channels without sounding gimmicky. Musically my first impression is this is their most Beatlesque album yet. Right now I'm thinking its style falls somewhere in between Rings Around the World and Phantom Power but that opinion may very well change after some more spins. In any case I don't think SFA fans will be disappointed and I'm looking forward to getting to know it inside and out in the coming weeks. It seems like it's the kind of album you have to spend time with to fully appreciate, at least more so than most. Sonics are pretty good but like most complicated rock recordings it's so processed it's kinda hard to tell what is supposed to sound realistic and what is going for an effect. I guess I'll have to spin the stereo SACD mix to judge its sound because the 5.1 mix really sucks you in (which, of course, is the whole point). Funny, once I took off the shrink wrap there is no mention of this being a hybrid SACD at all. It does say in the liner notes, "Surround sound mixed by Sam Wetmore & Super Furry Animals." I wonder if the US is getting a Dual Disc version?

Also spun the new Death Cab For Cutie album, Plans, a couple of times and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. This is no major label sellout. I haven't seen any mention if they're doing a hi-rez version like their last album but I believe Barsuk will still be involved by releasing a three-sided LP version and that's what I will buy (unless there will be an SACD version afterall).

Fall of '05 is looking pretty good! :)

BillB
08-31-2005, 09:35 AM
Davey,

When you say 3rd 5.1 album are you referring to the DVD releases of "Rings" and "Phantom"?

Can't wait to get this new one.

Bill

Davey
08-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Davey,

When you say 3rd 5.1 album are you referring to the DVD releases of "Rings" and "Phantom"?

Can't wait to get this new one.

Bill
Hey Bill, I think you must have me confused with that obnoxious Slosh character from one of the posts above, but I'm sure that's what he was referring to. I believe they are both Dolby 5.1 mixes.

Take care and good to see you around.

Slosh
08-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Hey Bill, I think you must have me confused with that obnoxious Slosh character from one of the posts above, but I'm sure that's what he was referring to. I believe they are both Dolby 5.1 mixes.

Take care and good to see you around.And DTS :D

BillB
09-08-2005, 06:32 AM
Amazon's only got the standard CD version slated for release next Tuesday. Guess I'll have to order the import (something I've done for every SFA album anyway) in the SACD format.

Bill

Slosh
09-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Amazon's only got the standard CD version slated for release next Tuesday. Guess I'll have to order the import (something I've done for every SFA album anyway) in the SACD format.

BillIt came to $24.58 US with the cheapest shipping option. Well worth it. :)

Snowbunny
09-08-2005, 08:54 PM
I have buckets of super furry love for Davey and Slosh for kindly sending me their latest compiliations. Davey, yours is wonderful, and super depressing. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

And Sloshyboy, very nice compilation. Lots I've never heard before. And I am madly in love with that 13 and God track. Is the whole disk that good!

Snowbuns

Mike
09-09-2005, 06:16 AM
I'll second that Super Furry Animals love thing it's the business, it features all the usual wackiness you would expect to find. It all sounds just so familiar like a pair of old slippers, God bless em' even though they are Welsh.

And I'll sling a few words out for your latest comp it's a goodie nicely illustrating that good music is timeless. Lots of gems even though Blackheart Procession sound like a warm up band in a funeral parlour. But I love that Richard Davies track so much so I just ordered the album, I should have known when you mentioned it a while ago you were onto something.

Cheers
Mike

Slosh
09-09-2005, 06:54 AM
And I am madly in love with that 13 and God track. Is the whole disk that good!
Yes, but like most interesting albums you might not know it at first. I only wish they did a little better job with their lyrics. Hey, only half of the band is German so I can't cut as much slack as with The Notwist. Give it some time if you do pick it up.

ps - watch out for flying monkeys next week ;)

Davey
09-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Huh? I like flying monkeys too! What's up?

Davey
09-09-2005, 09:53 AM
But I love that Richard Davies track so much so I just ordered the album, I should have known when you mentioned it a while ago you were onto something.
Yeah, me and my Ex Lion Tamer buddy have been extolling the virtues of that one for years around here in the excellent sounding vinyl version. The one before it is really just as good too. Fun that it is actually getting some more mileage now that Slosh and tentoze picked up copies, and I subsequently wound up with a digital copy so now I can blabber about it even more with comp tunes, although it's gotten kind of comped out now with the previously mentioned maf feller and Sloshy and me (and maybe even others?) passing around the songs. And I've sent copies of it to a few people too. Guess I kind of like it a little more than most people. Too bad he seems to have vanished since the followup to that one, which is also very good too. The lyrics are often a bit fragmented and nonsensical, but I kind of like that, and they do sound almost like they make sense sometimes. Some of the phrases really stick in my head :)

Snowbunny
09-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Huh? I like flying monkeys too! What's up?

Hmmm... I'm not sure if you'd want in on this one, Davey.

Sloshy has kindly agreed to share his huge collection of musical soundtracks with me. I'm guessing the next installment will have something to do with ruby red slippers!

Snowbuns

Slosh
09-09-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm guessing the next installment will have something to do with ruby red slippers!
and
I like flying monkeys too!nevermind :D

Davey
09-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Hmmm... I'm not sure if you'd want in on this one, Davey.

Sloshy has kindly agreed to share his huge collection of <color=gay>Broadway show tunes</color> with me. I'm guessing the next installment will have something to do with ruby red slippers!

SuperBuns
Oh, now I get it. Why am I not surprised that old Sloshbucket is a big fan of the show tunes? Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Slosh
09-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that!Oh, there's something very wrong with that. What other people do is fine by me, just not with me. ;)

What? Are we twelve? Your monkey is a gay homosexual! :rolleyes: (why do I get the feeling that this thread will soon be locked?)

Davey
09-09-2005, 04:06 PM
What? Are we twelve? Your monkey is a gay homosexual!
My monkey dances to his own tune.

Snowbunny
09-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Yes, but like most interesting albums you might not know it at first. I only wish they did a little better job with their lyrics. Hey, only half of the band is German so I can't cut as much slack as with The Notwist. Give it some time if you do pick it up.

Why do I think I'll see monkeys flying outta my butt now before I'll ever see monkeys flying into my mailbox? :D

The Notwist = 13&God? Really? I saw someone on Obner mention that, as well, and I'm not sure I hear it on that track. I should like them, if that's the RIYL!

Slosh
09-10-2005, 02:46 AM
Why do I think I'll see monkeys flying outta my butt now before I'll ever see monkeys flying into my mailbox? :D

The Notwist = 13&God? Really? I saw someone on Obner mention that, as well, and I'm not sure I hear it on that track. I should like them, if that's the RIYL!Speaking of monkeys dancing to their own tunes . . .

Check out the Revenge of the Monkey version of our little CRS series. "Perfect Speed" is one of the 13 & God tracks that'll give you more of that Notwist flavor :)