Crown moulding [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Crown moulding

cam
08-20-2005, 04:40 PM
With recent threads such as sound absorbing paint, and changing out a floor from tile to laminate, I started to wonder when my wife recently came home with a sample of 5 1/4 inch crown moulding, if it would smooth out or just add another reflective surface within my room. While I'm totally in favor of installing this crown asap within my family room, adjacent kitchen and dining room and front entrance area, I might be a little hesitant if it would have an adverse effect. Personally, I think, if anything, it will have no effect, or maybe a smoothing out effect, but maybe I'm wrong??

To crown or not to crown. What do you think??

PAT.P
08-20-2005, 05:12 PM
If its going to please the wife cant see any adverse effect in adding a crown molding.Do you think sound going to follow the groove and bounce all over the place?Pat.P :)

jasmit
08-20-2005, 06:13 PM
To crown or not to crown? is not the question. The question is -- double or triple crown? :p

cam
08-20-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm normally a CC kind of guy, for you Americans, CC stands for Canadian Club which is rye whiskey. I'm having a double as we speak.

Woochifer
08-20-2005, 06:57 PM
I don't know if a crown molding would do much either way. Depending on how ornamented the design is, it might actually help your acoustics somewhat depending on where it gets installed. This is because anything that diffuses/breaks up the sound waves at reflection points will help keep those reflected sound waves from interacting with the direct sound at full amplitude. One of the more common suggestions is to put book cases along the side walls to break up the sound waves when they reflect off the side walls. Those acoustic "popcorn" ceilings work similarly in that they diffuse the energy from the sound waves.

In my room, I use a strip of picture molding just underneath the ceiling line, and suspend acoustic panels off of it. (see pic below)

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/2/165819Theater10.jpg

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=16&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500