HT setup steps?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT setup steps??

madmax1
08-20-2005, 07:38 AM
Could someone run me threw the steps to setting up a HT system with the SPL meter? Thanks!!

L.J.
08-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Could someone run me threw the steps to setting up a HT system with the SPL meter? Thanks!!

I just recently did this a week ago. I actually used the auto setup mic that came with my denon, then I triple checked it using the SPL meter. This is how I checked it:

First I attached my Radio Shack SPL meter to a tripod, positioned it at my sweet spot at my ear level. The settings I used on my SPL were C-Weighing Fast Responce and I set the dial to 70. I went into my receivers channel level test tone screen and adjusted the level of each speaker until my SPL reached 75dB for each speaker. I did each speaker one at a time, then I did a test tone sweep while I watched the SPL Meter. Each speaker was set at the same level of 75dB.

The auto setup was pretty accurate but I did make a few small adjustments using my SPL. I setup a HT for my brother a few weeks ago and used the same method with the SPL Meter. I dont know if there is a universal method of using the SPL Meter to set your levels, so I'm just telling you my particular situation.

madmax1
08-20-2005, 04:01 PM
That is the way i was gonna do it. Thanks just wanted to make sure that was correct!!

madmax1
08-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Was just wondering what other things you could do with the SPL meter in the HT world? What kind of other test people run? Or other web sites that teach things like that? Thanks in advance!!!

Woochifer
08-21-2005, 06:08 PM
The SPL meter is one of the handiest and most flexible tools you can buy. Well worth the $40 or so for a basic analog model. In addition to using the meter for level matching, you can also use it to measure the frequency response for your speakers or your subwoofer (it's actually more useful for the subwoofer because the low frequencies are very much affected by the room acoustics and positioning).

You can also use it to identify room acoustical issues by measuring the levels at different locations within the room. On my system, I use the SPL meter to measure my subwoofer's in-room low frequency response for purposes of tuning the subwoofer with a parametric equalizer. Identifying the exact frequencies where the room interactions create boomy peaks and/or cancellations tells me how set the parametric equalizer to the problematic frequencies, and whether I need to reposition the subwoofer.

And even if you only use the meter for level matching, keep in mind that anytime you rearrange furniture or make other changes to the room, your SPL readings will also change. So, it makes sense to measure the levels and adjust your receiver/processor's settings frequently. And if you really want to get particular with the SPL meter, you mount the SPL meter on a camera tripod while taking readings.