Small Speakers with incredible sound [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Small Speakers with incredible sound

Jay_Krew
08-18-2005, 12:48 PM
I want to ask what speakers you would recommend for a theater. Price does not really matter for me but size does. I want to accomplish better than theater sound without the size. The speakers I have now are too big for the place we are moving into and will be put in storage. Can someone recommend what I should look at? I wanted somthing like the small cubes offered by bose but I was not happy with the sound produced and want something higher quality and similar to my Logans.

Thanks
Jay

GMichael
08-18-2005, 12:56 PM
I want to ask what speakers you would recommend for a theater. Price does not really matter for me but size does. I want to accomplish better than theater sound without the size. The speakers I have now are too big for the place we are moving into and will be put in storage. Can someone recommend what I should look at? I wanted somthing like the small cubes offered by bose but I was not happy with the sound produced and want something higher quality and similar to my Logans.

Thanks
Jay

The size of Bose & the quality of Logans? I'll be watching this thread closely. Come on, who's got the scoop on these?

Jay_Krew
08-18-2005, 01:05 PM
They dont have to be exactly cube size. I was looking at the Fresco line from Martin Logan but the local dealer doesnt have any to demo so I may have to rely on some opinions here. There may be somthing out there that is a major breakthough but I am not aware of it. :)

L8tr
Jay

GMichael
08-18-2005, 01:20 PM
They dont have to be exactly cube size. I was looking at the Fresco line from Martin Logan but the local dealer doesnt have any to demo so I may have to rely on some opinions here. There may be somthing out there that is a major breakthough but I am not aware of it. :)

L8tr
Jay

I hope you're right. I'll be watching this one. I have a HTIB in the bedroom. Actually not a bad system except for the lame speakers.

ericl
08-18-2005, 01:28 PM
These are nice little speakers. small (smaller than they appear in the main pic) and sound really great. The sub that comes with this set, however, is not really acceptable. I used a gigantic VMPS sub with it was quite happy. speakers are 86db, so they need a little juice.

http://audioreview.com/aperion422crx.aspx

Geoffcin
08-18-2005, 02:09 PM

Thanks
Jay

But there are some good small speakers out there. I've owned Gallo's, and would recommend them, and I would also recommend Totem Rainmakers.

RGA
08-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Well the word quality is strange. Stats tend to sound very different and you are probably not getting that sound from a cube or a mini-monitor. Sorry Totem (and those like it)don't sound like the Odyssey. Then again that doesn't mean you won't like something smaller and better than ML or planars of any kind.

Totem is one of the better very small speakers offerring suprisingly bigger sound than one would expect -- but you're paying extra bucks to get sound into that small package. Dynaudio is another to look at. By the time you buy stands though the only real space saving is a little width -- I'd think it through some more.

topspeed
08-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Why not some Maggie MMG on-walls? They'll give you the panel sound you're accustomed to, but were designed for this type of app. You might also consider some Von Schweikert VR1's, a speaker that can be mounted on a shelf or close to a wall while still producing a huge soundstage and unbelievable off-axis response (perfect for a theater). They produce more sound than any 13" monitor has a right to and are dynamic as all get-out. Yes, I have a pair. Yes, I am biased.

http://www.vonschweikert.com/interface/vr1_velvet_bag_SM.jpg

cyclone
08-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Totem Acoustic Signature Model 1.

drseid
08-18-2005, 04:25 PM
You already have a lot of good recommendations... I'll add a few more...

Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Minimonitors at 1K/pr. (or their Eric-3 slim floorstanders at 2K/pr.). Info on these can be found at www.operaudio.com

Linn Katan minimonitors at $800/pr.

Legacy Audio Victorias (3K/pr.)

Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitors (1.6K/pr.) www.tyleracoustics.com

Salk Sound Veracity Minimonitors (2.1K/pr.) www.salksound.com

All of the above are good and give a wide variety of price ranges (although none of them are Bose sized)...

My personal favorites for outright sound are the Tylers, then Salk, and then Consonance... The Consonance speakers may be the best overall sound for the money though out of the bunch.

---Dave

mckabe
08-18-2005, 05:12 PM

Thanks
Jay

Just recieved and installed the NHT SB3's & SB2's (bookshelf size, you can look up the spec's). I have had NHT speakers for the last 10yrs or so and cannot bring myself to perchase any other brand.
The SB3's are just awesome, the soundstage is beyound belief with digital radio and SACD's. If is as if the band is right in front of you at moderate levels. I have all 4 on Sanus stands in a 18'x13' room. In my opinion there is not a speaker anywhere near the price that compares. If you are serious about quality sound with both music and movies you will e short selling yourself if you do not give NHT a try.

dean_martin
08-18-2005, 06:54 PM

Thanks
Jay

I listened to a pair of Nola Alon Li'l Rascal Mk2s (I hate that name) mated with Nola's sub. Once I got over the model name I was impressed with their smoothness, delicacy, treble clarity and extension and full-bodied midrange. They presented a nice soundstage with 3D vocalists and instrumentalists floating gently between the speakers. They transitioned smoothly with the sub. These are smaller than most bookshelf speakers (I have 3 different brands in my home) but are more refined than most I've heard. I was a little suspect of their price because of their size until I heard them. I auditioned them in a 2 channel system with a tube integrated so if you can find a dealer I would recommend auditioning them in a home theater system. (I couldn't tell you how they would handle large explosions in movie soundtracks.) They are small enough that you could easily use one as a center for a seamless front stage. Good luck. Let us know what you decide or audition. It would be interesting to hear about some good small speakers.

snickelfritz
08-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Reference 3A mm de Capo.
This speaker is legendary for its natural sound and high sensitivity.
Often paired with low powered SET and tube amplifiers.
http://www.reference3a.com/images/royalvirtuosored.jpg

musicman1999
08-22-2005, 01:02 AM
i run jmlabs cobalt 806 and am very happy with them.they are not large but do have a big sound.they do however need decent wire and upstream components to sound there best.

thanks
bill

snickelfritz
08-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Why is it that the words "there" they're" and "their" are so frequently misused in forum posts?
(not just here, but everywhere!)
It makes the author of the post sound distinctly ignorant, even if the content of the post indicates otherwise.
I think our computers need a syntax and grammar checker; the spell-checker ain't cuttin' it for some of us.

shokhead
08-24-2005, 05:50 AM
Why is it that the words "there" they're" and "their" are so frequently misused in forum posts?
(not just here, but everywhere!)
It makes the author of the post sound distinctly ignorant, even if the content of the post indicates otherwise.
I think our computers need a syntax and grammar checker; the spell-checker ain't cuttin' it for some of us.

Dont worry about it,just read the post. As far as small speakers go, you can only get so much out of a small speaker. One persons sounds good for the size could be anothers sounds like crap.

Pyrrho
08-24-2005, 08:36 AM
These are bit larger than the ubiquitous "cube" speakers, but may be small enough for you:

http://www.kellsieavdesign.com/products/Leisure2SE.htm

I use three pair for a 6.1 system. The woofers are not magnetically shielded, but it is not a problem in my setup. The ribbon tweeters might give you the sound you are looking for.

Buzz Roll
08-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Either hanging Maggies or Ohm MicroWalsh Talls (3 up front for HT, 2 in the back) - amazing.

stuartlittle
08-26-2005, 12:20 PM
www.orbaudio.com...the best sound you are going to get from a small design IMHO

csukasem
08-27-2005, 05:07 AM

Thanks
Jay

Jay,

Once, I had similar situation. I went thru many speakers and eventually, I am using B&W 805S's. B&W have so many models. Give them good auditions before making your decision.

Good Luck

Sukasem C.

sam9
08-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Consider inxcluding M&K "K-series" (K5, K7, etc) or their "Xenon". Very small, good reviews, well made. Since you are interested in HT, it may be germaine that M&K were involved in the development of THX and the construction of the Skywalker Sound recording facility. The company certainly has the technical background for HT.

I've got some K-5s and they sound like much larger speakers.

jwh917
08-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Boston Acoustics VRm60's.Not quite 12 inches tall but sound incredible.The bass response they put out is amazing.

T BOMB25
08-27-2005, 10:51 PM
The Odyssey Epiphonys they have the most amazing soundstaging and imaging Ive heard regardless of price,and believe me ive heard lots and lots of great speakers.They have pinpoint imaging you can hear where a feather drops at,and the soundstage is humungous,and the depth may be deeper than any other speaker I've heard.The bass is extremely tight and it gets down to the low 40s in my room and it can go even lower in a better damped room,the midbasss is as tight as I've heard.very nice top end and midrange and super coherence and that speacial tone of the Quad ESL and above all else that musical magic and all for $595 the whole company is the best kept secret in Audio they cream much more expensive gear,the kind of bargain any audio man needs increadible!!!

cyclone
08-30-2005, 06:12 PM
These are bit larger than the ubiquitous "cube" speakers, but may be small enough for you:

http://www.kellsieavdesign.com/products/Leisure2SE.htm

I use three pair for a 6.1 system. The woofers are not magnetically shielded, but it is not a problem in my setup. The ribbon tweeters might give you the sound you are looking for.

not a bad looking speaker...but $1499 for a non shielded set of speakers. thats about $1400 more then what non shielded speakers are worth. i think if a company wants you to spend that much, they should at least consider you might want to look at them beside your tv.

RGA
08-30-2005, 06:28 PM

Thanks
Jay

I will suggest three sets of Audio Note AX Two loudspeakers(well I would suggest you listen to them first but this is a relatively inexpensive highly musical set-up. They are $600.00US per pair in the basic chipboard version and $1k a pair in an upgraded Signature version(though this is more suited for tube amplifiers so the non sig version would be better and cheaper for solid state amps and receivers) -- the drivers are the same but different cabinetry materials. Still three pairs for $1800.00US (less a discount I'm sure if buying three pairs) and stands and then you figure out what sub would work best. They're small but not too small if you get my meaning and they can be placed near wall or in corners mounted. Basically they're very easy going to place. I listened to it directly againstthe B&W 705 and preferred the AX Two. I am biased but give them a go you have nothing much to lose. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue20/audionoteax2.htm

Woochifer
08-30-2005, 07:18 PM
I guess small would depend on whether you want a boxy standmounted speaker, or something thinner but long like an on-wall speakers (the Martin Logan Frescos fit this category). In general, the standmounts will work very well and plenty of them can take you down to about 50 Hz, which is about how low you want your speaker to go if you plan to use a subwoofer crossed over at 80 Hz.

Plenty of great suggestions so far, and I would add the Paradigm Studio 20 v.3 or Signature S2, Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor, Vienna Acoustics Haydn, Monitor Audio GR-10, Energy Veritas v2.2, and the PSB Platinum M2. For on-wall speakers, in addition to the Martin Logan Frescos, look for the Vienna Acoustics Webern and the Vandersteen VSM Signature.

Others have recommended panel speakers, and I know that Magnepan makes some panels designed for wall mounting, but most of the ones I've heard over the years don't really come to life until you push them out a few feet from the wall and they're bigger than you're probably looking for.