Cable vs. Satellite [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cable vs. Satellite

L.J.
08-18-2005, 09:26 AM
I currently have comcast cable. I pay about $95 a month for their HD, DVR, digital cable channels and standard cable. I have no premium channels. The HD is of course flawless on my 57" JVC. The digital cable comes in clear but most of the standard cable channels come in awful.

Is there anyone out there that has gone from cable to satellite and noticed a huge difference in picture quality?

paul_pci
08-18-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm not going to comment on pic quality, but I have Direct TV and I hope to never have to go back to cable.

L.J.
08-18-2005, 10:40 AM
I know this question has nothing to do with audio. I can take it to a video related forum if needed. Thanks for any feedback regarding my question.

EdwardGein
08-18-2005, 02:03 PM
I know this question has nothing to do with audio. I can take it to a video related forum if needed. Thanks for any feedback regarding my question.

I have Time Warner Cable- HD picture is great but like you said some non HD broadcasts aren't wonderful. I think that's the same whether its satellite or not with an HD TV. As to switching, I'd see what Satellite has to offer. Someone posted something recently about Direct TV giving new customers a great deal on everything but shafting existing ones. At one time, not anymore I had both Satellite & Cable, just too get NFL ticket which is a great deal. Time Warner HD covers about 8 or so channels give or take plus any premiums you have like HBO & Showtime. The don't carry the WB & UPN (what's a brother to do) in HD for some reason but are pretty reliable & also provide me broadband service. There deal on HD DVR's is very good.

bjornb17
08-18-2005, 02:33 PM
I've heard that HDTVs are generally pretty bad at displaying standard definition tv broadcasts, but I'm not sure if there is any validity to that, so in other words, everyone just wasted their time reading my post and i wasted my time writing it :)

L.J.
08-18-2005, 02:38 PM
I have Time Warner Cable- HD picture is great but like you said some non HD broadcasts aren't wonderful. I think that's the same whether its satellite or not with an HD TV. As to switching, I'd see what Satellite has to offer. Someone posted something recently about Direct TV giving new customers a great deal on everything but shafting existing ones. At one time, not anymore I had both Satellite & Cable, just too get NFL ticket which is a great deal. Time Warner HD covers about 8 or so channels give or take plus any premiums you have like HBO & Showtime. The don't carry the WB & UPN (what's a brother to do) in HD for some reason but are pretty reliable & also provide me broadband service. There deal on HD DVR's is very good.

I'm pulling in most of the local channels in HD as well. I do watch alot of comedy central and the picture comes in horrible. My HD/DVR service is only $9.95 a month.

At least I'll get some football in HD.

topspeed
08-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Very few fixed pixel displays do SD well. I've heard crt rptv's are supposed to be far better in this regard. I don't know which model JVC you have (hint: fill in your profile), but if it's a DILA, you're screwed. Sucks, but it is what it is.

L.J.
08-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Very few fixed pixel displays do SD well. I've heard crt rptv's are supposed to be far better in this regard. I don't know which model JVC you have (hint: fill in your profile), but if it's a DILA, you're screwed. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Model is AV- 56WP74.