Please Help - Bose Acoustimass 10 and Sony Receiver problems! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please Help - Bose Acoustimass 10 and Sony Receiver problems!

bszarek001
08-18-2005, 04:29 AM
Hi all...

I know I'm new to these forums, so any help with your expertise would be greatly appreciated. I am normally pretty good with home theater setups, but my friend's system has me stumped.

Here is the situation...

He purchased a home from someone who had an Bose Acoustimass 10 Dolby 5.1 system hardwired into the walls. He didn't previously have a Dolby Digital Receiver, so he picked up a Sony STR-DE597 (I believe that's the model number). I helped him hook it up, and we had some serious issues. First was that the volume level of the audio going from the receiver to the speakers seemed ridiculously low. When turned up, the receiver went into "protect" mode and shut the receiver down. I thought it may have been due to a discrepancy in Ohm ratings, but the receiver is rated at 8 ohms and the speakers are rated between 4-8, so that shouldn't be the problem. I checked the speaker wire and speakers, and everything seems to be fine, because I had gotten each speaker to work individually in the past. I also checked the wiring in the house to see if it was grounded properly, and it is.. I played around with all the surround modes and what not, and I still couldn't get all of the speakers to sound at once, plus I still couldn't correct the volume issue.

Please help! It's frustrating the hell out of me..lol.. Thanks a lot in advance! :)

GMichael
08-18-2005, 05:01 AM
Hi all...

I know I'm new to these forums, so any help with your expertise would be greatly appreciated. I am normally pretty good with home theater setups, but my friend's system has me stumped.

Here is the situation...

He purchased a home from someone who had an Bose Acoustimass 10 Dolby 5.1 system hardwired into the walls. He didn't previously have a Dolby Digital Receiver, so he picked up a Sony STR-DE597 (I believe that's the model number). I helped him hook it up, and we had some serious issues. First was that the volume level of the audio going from the receiver to the speakers seemed ridiculously low. When turned up, the receiver went into "protect" mode and shut the receiver down. I thought it may have been due to a discrepancy in Ohm ratings, but the receiver is rated at 8 ohms and the speakers are rated between 4-8, so that shouldn't be the problem. I checked the speaker wire and speakers, and everything seems to be fine, because I had gotten each speaker to work individually in the past. I also checked the wiring in the house to see if it was grounded properly, and it is.. I played around with all the surround modes and what not, and I still couldn't get all of the speakers to sound at once, plus I still couldn't correct the volume issue.

Please help! It's frustrating the hell out of me..lol.. Thanks a lot in advance! :)

I'm no technician, but from reading other threads like yours, I have picked up on a Bose incompatibility thing. Seems that their products don't work or play well with others. Bose likes Bose only. Hang in there for more responses. Some will just bash Bose, but others will actually try to help. Good luck.

bszarek001
08-18-2005, 05:03 AM
I'm no technician, but from reading other threads like yours, I have picked up on a Bose incompatibility thing. Seems that their products don't work or play well with others. Bose likes Bose only. Hang in there for more responses. Some will just bash Bose, but others will actually try to help. Good luck.

Haha.. Thanks.. I personally have a Sony system with a JBL surround system and love it and have never had a problem... But I feel terrible that I was unable to get my friends system up and running. You would think after spending that much money it should just work, but that would be too easy.. =) Thanks...

delcolle
08-18-2005, 06:18 AM
Hi all...

Here is the situation...

I have the identical problem. I installed the Bose Accustamass 10 along with my Sony DE STR 925 AV receiver. I cannot get any real volume out of the rear speakers. Was going to buy a new receiver but now I am really worried about compatibility. How did you resolve your issue? Please let me know. Thanks

bszarek001
08-18-2005, 06:53 AM
I have the identical problem. I installed the Bose Accustamass 10 along with my Sony DE STR 925 AV receiver. I cannot get any real volume out of the rear speakers. Was going to buy a new receiver but now I am really worried about compatibility. How did you resolve your issue? Please let me know. Thanks

Oh boy... That's not good news for my friend. It hasn't been resolved yet. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something.. :(

delcolle
08-18-2005, 07:13 AM
Oh boy... That's not good news for my friend. It hasn't been resolved yet. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something.. :(

I just got off the phone with Bose technical support and they admitted that there are compatibility issues with the Sony receiver. The guy was trying to be helpful but could only suggest to consider another receiver with a "high current" output. This is very frustrating since it adds additional dollars needs to have what ought to be expected.

bszarek001
08-18-2005, 08:20 AM
I just got off the phone with Bose technical support and they admitted that there are compatibility issues with the Sony receiver. The guy was trying to be helpful but could only suggest to consider another receiver with a "high current" output. This is very frustrating since it adds additional dollars needs to have what ought to be expected.

That is absolutely ridiculous, considering what a giant portion of the marketshare Sony has in A/V receivers.. Thank you so much for letting me know what happened.. Do you know of any examples of "high current" output receivers?

N. Abstentia
08-18-2005, 10:51 AM
..ahem...coughbullsh!tcough....

bszarek001
08-19-2005, 03:56 AM
..ahem...coughbullsh!tcough....

So you're saying the whole concept of "high current" output receivers is bullsht?

N. Abstentia
08-19-2005, 05:52 AM
Sort of. More specifically I'm saying the concept of a speaker REQUIRING a high current amplifier to even work at all is bullsheet.

That's kind of like buying a new car and then filling it up with 87 octane gas only to have it not even start up. Then the dealer says to you "oh it won't run with 87 octane, you have to put 89 octance in it and it will run like a champ!"

edtyct
08-19-2005, 06:00 AM
It would be rash to say that the concept of a high-current receiver per se is B.S. High current can produce better performance in many cases with difficult loads or wide dynamics. But, as N Ab. says, a speaker that refuses to make a peep at all unless connected to such an amp is a wee bit suspect.

Ed