Unsure what speakers to get for dorm [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Unsure what speakers to get for dorm

pkibbe
08-17-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm going to be a Freshman at Notre Dame and would like to get some speakers for my dorm room, but unfortunately know nothing about the subject. I don't have a whole lot of money but would like to get decent speakers to hook up to the tv, ipod, etc. to be used for varying uses such as watching movies to having parties. Any suggestions on what to get, I really don't know what would be best. Thanks.

drseid
08-18-2005, 01:58 AM
What *is* your budget? Essentially, please define what "I don't have a whole lot of money" is in dollars you have to spend. Are we talking $10 or $1000+?

Any music preferences (as sometimes they can influence the recommendations given)?

Once we have some more information, I am sure you will get some good recommendations from the folks here...

Regards,

---Dave

Florian
08-18-2005, 03:51 AM
The budget is definetly a good point ;-)

paul_pci
08-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Get something expedable: speakers that are relatively cheap and that you can pawn off on incoming freshmen when you graduate.

Good luck at Notre Dame.

JohnMichael
08-18-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm going to be a Freshman at Notre Dame and would like to get some speakers for my dorm room, but unfortunately know nothing about the subject. I don't have a whole lot of money but would like to get decent speakers to hook up to the tv, ipod, etc. to be used for varying uses such as watching movies to having parties. Any suggestions on what to get, I really don't know what would be best. Thanks.

You mention speakers but do you also need electronics? One system I have been looking at for travel is the Cambridge Soundworks Model 12. It is a system that fits in a suitcase that contains two satalite speakers, amplification and the case becomes the subwoofer when all else is removed. They currently have this system listed in their warehouse clearence for B-stock at $299.00. You could pack it up and take it with you when you go home for breaks or head down for spring break. Oh the days. Since dorm space is limited it is small enough for dorms and hotels. Just an idea and have a great time at a great school. Cambridge Soundworks does have a web site.

GMichael
08-18-2005, 09:37 AM
You mention speakers but do you also need electronics? One system I have been looking at for travel is the Cambridge Soundworks Model 12. It is a system that fits in a suitcase that contains two satalite speakers, amplification and the case becomes the subwoofer when all else is removed. They currently have this system listed in their warehouse clearence for B-stock at $299.00. You could pack it up and take it with you when you go home for breaks or head down for spring break. Oh the days. Since dorm space is limited it is small enough for dorms and hotels. Just an idea and have a great time at a great school. Cambridge Soundworks does have a web site.

Now THAT'S cool.

noddin0ff
08-18-2005, 09:45 AM
For small sized, small budget, bookshelf speakers with good performance, I like Paradigm Atoms. Place them near walls or corners to help emphasize the bass.
http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/paradigm/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_120342_1594crx.aspx
http://reviews.cnet.com/Paradigm_Atom/4505-7869_7-30112568.html

The NHT SB-1 is probably a contender too. I haven't listened to this one.
http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/nht/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_133024_1594crx.aspx
http://reviews.cnet.com/NHT_SB-1/4505-7869_7-9164297.html

The Paradigms run around $180ish, The NHT's around $160ish I think. If your budget is larger...

pkibbe
08-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the tips. To be more specific I am willing to spend $200 to $250 but possibly more if the speakers are that much better at a great deal. Just need to weigh options. Both the music and the use would be varied. I would hopefully hook them up to the tv and probably my laptop or ipod to play music. Music ranges from classical to mostly pop rock, but also some rap and r&b which sounds best with good bass. Thanks for the recommendations thus far and I hope this additional info helps narrow the search.

Jimmy C
08-18-2005, 12:17 PM

...the BR1 kit from PartsExpress.com. Not difficult, a few hours, but this speaker actually has some bass and balls that lower-priced transducers lack. $139.

These actually throw a realistic sized soundstage, a smooth top end, can't beat the LF for the money (from what I have heard, anyway). I have had the Paradigm Titans (too boxy), very familiar with the Atoms (no real bass), and I think they are more resolving than B&Ws least expensive speaker (302 or 3? Forgot the exact model #...)

The best compliment I can give these is the fact that they are very good with less than stellar software... they won't make yer ears bleed even if the disc is ultra thin-sounding. That, AND they have a foundation cheap speakers usually lack.

They are a bit tough to drive, but can play PLENTY loud with 50 WPC... even less, actually.

Hey - about $150 to your door, fun to build, and if your buddy spills beer all over them... will you really care in 4 years? :^)

SlumpBuster
08-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Having gone to a midwest big ten school - Go Spartans!- I can tell you what I would do in two words. "Pawn shop." FInd some big bad Cerwin Vegas and heavy receiver. A heavy receiver is never a bad sign. Don't shy away from late 80's early 90's vintage. But be prepared for the RA to write you noise violations. This would be the $300-$500 price range. Ebay will of course give you similar options.

If your more sophisticated, i.e. more than $500, I would go with a nice pair of bookshelf speakers and a standard entry level japanese 5.1 receiver: Yamaha, Denon, Harman Kardon. That way you can add surround speakers later if you want. Your looking at at least $200 for the pair of speakers and $300 on a receiver new retail.

Whatever you do, stay away from the "all in ones," whether a shelf system, home theater in a box, or computer 5.1 system. They are ubiquitous, bootleg, and will look like something your grandma bought you for high school graduation. When I was in school, 80% of people had something like that and only 20% had separate components. All I know is no one ever partied for real with a shelf system, shouting "Turn up that Panasonic, B!tch!"

paul_pci
08-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Go Badgers! I'd be leary about investing a lot of money in speakers for a freshman dorm that will most likely be vomited on, stumbled into, knocked over, or stolen.

Eric Z
08-18-2005, 02:22 PM
i agree! with paul- don't invest a lot of cash into these- just get something that will get you through the dorm days- then when you graduate and get a job, invest in something nicer and put the ones from your dorm in the garage or bedroom.

i like the idea of some cheap paradigms- buy them off of ebay and save some cash.

now do you need a receiver, too? you've only listed your tv and ipod- just wondering.

save the extra cash for beer and the ladies!

go illini!

topspeed
08-18-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm going to be a Freshman at Notre DameWhat's wrong, Mommy and Daddy hate you?

Are you being punished?

Did you lose a bet? :p

No, no, I kid, I kid (sorta).

If you're running this thing off an iPod or TV, you'll need an amplified speaker system. JohnMichael's Cambridge recommendation is perfect for your situation: it's amplified, it sounds good, it has a sub for rap, and it's durable. I can't stress this last one enough. As a collegiate freshman, you don't want anything that isn't pretty much disposable or built like a tank. Everything you own is going to get ruined, lost, or stolen, trust me. Some drunk (probably you, actually) will knock it over, spill beer on it, puke behind it, stuff cheese in it, whatever.

Ahhh...Good Times!

Hope this helps and BTW,

FIGHT ON!!!

drseid
08-19-2005, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the tips. To be more specific I am willing to spend $200 to $250 but possibly more if the speakers are that much better at a great deal. Just need to weigh options. Both the music and the use would be varied. I would hopefully hook them up to the tv and probably my laptop or ipod to play music. Music ranges from classical to mostly pop rock, but also some rap and r&b which sounds best with good bass. Thanks for the recommendations thus far and I hope this additional info helps narrow the search.
With that budget in mind, I'll agree with others that the Cambridge suggestion is a good way to go in your price range...

---Dave

kexodusc
08-19-2005, 03:37 AM
I'll second the BR-1 kit at Parts Express if you're up for the task. If you can solder (or know someone who can) it's hard to beat. I've personally compared it to the Paradigm Mini Monitor (v.3) and would happily choose the BR-1's. I wouldn't power 5 of them for a home theater off of a very small Sony or Technics receiver at super high volumes, but running only 2 would be be fine. Best part is you can sell them fast for most of your money when you're done with them.

Another option is to look at the used market, your money will go further that way. For $200-250 ish, you might consider the Energy Connoisseurs. C-1's, C-2's, C-3's etc...whatever you can find, they're all pretty good IMO.

46minaudio
08-19-2005, 05:18 AM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-640&DID=7
Get these on sale.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-632&DID=7
And then add this.This will come in at less than $250.It would make a great system for home and School.PE also sells a 12 version for about 30$ more.

noddin0ff
08-19-2005, 05:48 AM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-640&DID=7
Get these on sale.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-632&DID=7
And then add this.This will come in at less than $250.It would make a great system for home and School.PE also sells a 12 version for about 30$ more.

Ding ding ding....Winner!

Haru
08-19-2005, 09:57 AM
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASB1&loc=11

Cant go wrong with these, Outstanding value and preformance.

RC

nightflier
08-19-2005, 10:24 AM
...Everything you own is going to get ruined, lost, or stolen, trust me. Some drunk (probably you, actually) will knock it over, spill beer on it, puke behind it, stuff cheese in it, whatever...

OK, I also took the party-route through college (don't remember much of the second year), but college has changed folks. I can tell you from first-hand experience that most college students are bookworms with sophisticated tastes. There are still parties and lots of thefts, but that doesn't mean it's like that across the board. I visited a dorm last spring and was surprised at the number of surround sound systems students had and the amount of money they spend on them. I even saw a turtable and another fellow even had a projection screen that he set up in the suite for everyone to watch DVDs on. True, they will be playing compressed music files on those $2K systems, but they will be the best sounding MP3's you'll ever hear.

With that in mind, I would rather side with SlumpBuster and go the pawnshop/eBay route. A nice 15-year old Carver amp & preamp combo with some good sounding JBL bookshelf speakers will do the trick. Nobody is going to steal that bulky old stuff, and if he does spill a martini on that pre or tear the grills on the JBL's he won't be out a lot of cash.

If he's going to go with something new, the Cambridge system or even that new HD-capable radio from Boston Acoustics are an excellent bet. But given how competitive things are in the dorms, if he wants to impress his friends, or woo a special someone to the smooth voice of Barry White, he's gona want the Carver-JBL combo.

GMichael
08-19-2005, 10:47 AM
OK, I also took the party-route through college (don't remember much of the second year), but college has changed folks. I can tell you from first-hand experience that most college students are bookworms with sophisticated tastes.

What?! No Animal House sequels? Bummer dude.

nightflier
08-20-2005, 05:18 PM
What?! No Animal House sequels? Bummer dude.

I'm no expert in this field, but from everything I see, college sucks nowadays. I haven't heard a single student tell me what a blast they are having in college. Most of 'em see college as an extension of highschool that they have to finish. Likewise, professors are complaining that students don't show the same interest anymore. Maybe that's why a few kids like pkibbe here are looking for ways to jazz it up a bit.

Personally, I think college students need to start a 60/70's-like revival, 'cause things seem pretty crappy all over. And the way to do it is with music. From were I stand, the thing I remember the most about the 70's is the music.

Geoffcin
08-20-2005, 05:27 PM

If not then your looking for a set of amplified speakers. That's a hard nut in your price range for anything but a computer speaker set. I use a Cambridge Soundworks 210d system for my computer and it really rocks in the nearfield. They have been discontined and are a steal at this price;

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?item=c1mw21ee&adcode=WFROOGLEB3

I've hooked them up to a Ipod, and you can hook them up to a TV too.

thepogue
08-21-2005, 05:31 AM
spend lil $$$ and have very good sound...try these....

I have a set in my bunk room area in the fire house...hook a a cheapie sub and your rockin!!

http://www.norh.com/products/norh3/gal.html

Good Luck!! Pogue