Denon Crossover & Subwoofer Phasing Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon Crossover & Subwoofer Phasing Question

EdwardGein
08-17-2005, 12:26 PM
I've now 100% duplicated my living room audio set up with my bedroom audio setup with the last item being the same sub which I just got today and would appreciate someone answering the following questions (as I may have moved a switch accidently when I moved a month ago).

1. What should the subwoofer crossover setting be f(or my Denon receiver). Right now I have it on 80. Does that sound right.

2. What should the subwoofer phase be? I have it on 180.

3. Does it take time for a subwoofer to be broken in?

4. My subwoofer mainly for structural reasons is on the left side in my living room & right side on my bedroom. Does that account why I can't get the sound identical in both rooms? I realise that acoustics plays a part but there shouldn't be that much difference between a bedroom & living room if the equipment is the same with the same carpet flooring?

L.J.
08-17-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm almost in the same situation as you. The best I can do is tell you what my settings are so far. Like you I'm in the process of fine tuning and I've only had my new sub and new speakers for about two weeks. I have the crossover on my Denon set at 60 and the phase on my sub is set to 0. I used the auto set up on my denon and double checked it with a spl meter. I made a few adjustments and input the distance for the sub and set the level with a spl. I'm happy with my settings but plan on playing around with the sub a little more. When I first hooked up my sub it sounded awful but after a couple of hours it loosened up and started sounding a lot better. After two weeks of use it sounds great. The manual that came with the sub advised 50 hrs of break in, but I noticed a huge difference just after a couple of hours. It all sounds great to me. I will not try to give out any advice because I'm definately novice at this. Hopefully I'll pick up some useful info myself.

EdwardGein
08-17-2005, 03:15 PM
After I posted my question, I did some research & alot of things came back to me that I had forgotten about when I set up my first Denon system (I write some things down if I tinker but in this case everything was set in stone when I did my original set up around a year ago).
Anyway, try setting your Denon system up on these numbers & see if you get better results:
1. On your subwoofer if there is a control set the crossover to 80. 2. On phase put yours on 180. 3. Make whatever adjustment you need on your sub's volume, receivers treble/bass controls & receiver's sub DB level. For my receiver I have +2 for both bass & treble, +2 for receivers sub db level (0 for everything else) & the volume level on my sub itself is about 35%
(50% being the volume middle). I have Orb Audio mod 1 speakers & Orb Supereight sub.
On my denon I have everything set for all natural all (5) channel sound so for CD's I hear everything natural but through 5 speakers & a sub, DVD's 5.1 dolby surround, TV 5.1 dolby surround. Everything is connected via optic cable.

L.J.
08-17-2005, 03:54 PM
I'll give those settings a try. I've watched a movie every night for the last two weeks and keep getting different impressions of my settings. Last night I watched sin city and it sounded great, but the day before I watched S.W.A.T. and I wasnt too happy. I'm still getting use to the difference in sound. I've upgraded from a JVC(803) recv and sony speakers to a denon(2805) recv and energy speakers. The difference in sound quality is tremendous. I like the sound of the speakers and sub. Just gotta get the fine tuning done.

EdwardGein
08-17-2005, 06:05 PM
I'll give those settings a try. I've watched a movie every night for the last two weeks and keep getting different impressions of my settings. Last night I watched sin city and it sounded great, but the day before I watched S.W.A.T. and I wasnt too happy. I'm still getting use to the difference in sound. I've upgraded from a JVC(803) recv and sony speakers to a denon(2805) recv and energy speakers. The difference in sound quality is tremendous. I like the sound of the speakers and sub. Just gotta get the fine tuning done.

What DVD player do you use? I used a Harmon Kardon 31 one and it also makes a tremendous difference in sound (you need to check your DVD set up as well as that can influence things). As I said in an earlier post, I wound up getting better sound not using the SPL settings I got and just going by ear. I basically have all DB levels set to 0 except +2 for my sub. I'd also recommend you try two different optic cables (one a glass one for the TV) and the other for DVD, I got that were about $20 each regularly sold on Ebay (I'll give you the sellers email addresses if you want & they make a significant difference in my sound quality despite other people claiming cables don't make a difference. Try watching Master Commander as if that doesn't sound great then your in big trouble. I watched Sin City the other day- loved the movie but for me the sound wasn't fantastic it was OK. The worst thing is, see my other thread, I've given up on this new sub I got for my second system as why its much better than the other one, I can't get it to sound as good or smooth as the one that's not great (acoustic Research 108SP) with the acoustics I have in my bedroom and its too loud for my apartment (somehow in my more open area living room it sounds great but not within the confines of my more closed bedroom).