DVD players with speaker set-up ... why would you need that in the first place? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD players with speaker set-up ... why would you need that in the first place?

Breezer88888
08-17-2005, 07:30 AM
Question on the Sony DVP-NS975 (Terrence, Ed - some help here please),

I just got this player and went thru the set up options. My question relates to its speaker size/distance settings. I have already gone thru this set-up with my Denon receiver a while ago, in which I used a borrowed sound level meter to get it as close to being right as I care to try. On the DVD player, I've input the responses according to what was asked, but I'm wondering if it is un-doing the calibration that was previously done thru my receiver. I haven't noticed any difference in sound performance, but I wonder if there's a "direct" setting that would bypass any compensation from the DVD player.

Also, I bought this player primarily for its upconversion capabilities. Video performance (thru hdmi, using "Cinema One", and Sharpness enhancement left off) has only been slightly better, if at all, than my old progressive scan player thru component cables.

Any info would be appreciated,
Breezer

EdwardGein
08-17-2005, 08:33 AM
I don't quite know the whys but as far as I know this is on most DVD players. My Harmon Kardon DVD player has those It also has a control that gives the DVD player priority over your recceiver if you want. I don't quite remember how I've got this set up but I'm happy with the results. The set up on the DVD does affect the performance (at least the sound)

N. Abstentia
08-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Are you using a digital output or the multi-channel analog? The speaker setups should be there only for the multi-channel analog (because the player is doing the decoding) and will not affect anything if you use a digital connection (because the recever is doing the decoding).

Breezer88888
08-17-2005, 10:46 AM
That's interesting since I am using Digital Coax. Your explanation makes sense. And I hope the player is not taking priority over the receiver's settings. I don't want to do the sound level checking again.

At some point I will send an e-mail of the same question to Sony. But they are notorious for skimpy answers. I'll have to wait for a moment of inspiration to deal with it.

By the way, N. Really cool projector screen project!! Awesome when a little ingenuity actually comes through!!

ToddL
08-17-2005, 11:04 AM
N.Abstentia is definately right!

topspeed
08-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Are you using a digital output or the multi-channel analog? The speaker setups should be there only for the multi-channel analog (because the player is doing the decoding) and will not affect anything if you use a digital connection (because the recever is doing the decoding).
What if you are using both? I'll have my 2910 hooked-up via analog for the hi-rez and digital for DD/DTS. In hi-rez, is the 2910 overriding the AVR or vice versa?

enrique
08-17-2005, 12:09 PM
for analog the dvd player settings are being used.For digital your receiver.They are seperate functions.

N. Abstentia
08-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Enrique is right :)

That's how I have my Marantz 6400 connected..6 channel for sacd/dvda and optical for DVD's. I just have them on seperate inputs of my preamp. And just tell one input to use 'multichannel' and the other to use 'optical'. On the multichannel one the preamp does nothing but send the signal to the amps. On the optical setting it takes over and does all the decoding.

paul_pci
08-17-2005, 06:24 PM
What if you are using both? I'll have my 2910 hooked-up via analog for the hi-rez and digital for DD/DTS. In hi-rez, is the 2910 overriding the AVR or vice versa?

I use the same set up and yes, for the DVD-A, it going off your player's settings, which is why everyone *****es about whether or not DVD players have good bass management or not.

shokhead
08-18-2005, 06:01 AM
They dont compared to receivers.

Lexmark3200
08-18-2005, 02:54 PM
I had the same questions when setting up MY DVD player......why are there speaker distance and calibration settings on the DVD PLAYER'S menu when I already DID THIS through the receiver????

From my understanding, those speaker setups in the DVD player menu are, as everyone has been saying, for ANALOG MULTICHANNEL output such as for DVD Audio or if you are NOT connecting your receiver to your DVD player with a DIGITAL cable.....

Is this correct? I believe ALL distance settings, calibrations, etc, SHOULD be made through the RECEIVER if you are passing a bitstream digital signal through an optical or coax cable from the DVD player; those other settings on the DVD player for speaker distances, etc, are only if you are using RCA analog-type connections....

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.....

Breezer88888
08-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Thanks everyone,
I think I will try this experiment over the weekend. As previously said, my Sony DVP975 player is connected to my Denon receiver thru a Digital Coax cable. Since the DVD player has asked for my speaker distances, I will use the extremes of their scale (e.g. 100 feet, then down to 1 foot). If I don't hear an appreciable difference, I will give up this stupid quest and move on to a more worthy question. Or at least one where those among us in AV.com might have a chance at answering.

By the way Lex, if you're reading this you will appreciate this. I will use a DVD movie with DTS, although not Superbit. I haven't made my way to BB yet.
I'll share the results after this weekend.

Lexmark3200
08-18-2005, 07:49 PM
"By the way Lex, if you're reading this you will appreciate this. I will use a DVD movie with DTS, although not Superbit. I haven't made my way to BB yet.
I'll share the results after this weekend"

What do you mean "you will use a DVD movie with DTS although not Superbit"? There are plenty of other studios that offer titles with DTS other than Columbia/TriStar, were you aware of that (respectfully asking)?

Breezer88888
08-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Yes I was aware. I meant that I will use a DTS recorded DVD, like Chicken Run just for laughs.

Thanks for clearing that up. Anyway, hope to be rained in this weekend.

Lexmark3200
08-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey Breeze,

While it's not supposed to rain here in Sin City, this will be a weekend full of analyzing those Superbit titles I picked up, so here's to a weekend full of cinema watching for both of us, huh?

I was just confused when you said this:

"I will use a DTS recorded DVD, like Chicken Run just for laughs."

Do you mean you have some DTS titles that don't seem like they would need DTS encoding and run the DTS track just because its there? If so, sure, I can relate to that----although I have more "serious" themed titles in my collection (as compared to Chicken Run---man, what made you buy THAT?) that in my opinion didnt deserve DTS treatment and dont sound all that good anyway, like "Airport", "Along Came Polly" (well, thats sounds decent in DTS), and "Dawn of the Dead" (the original).

Even though these tracks don't kick your ass like Saving Private Ryan would, you still need to run their DTS mixes because....well....they're simply there!

Have a good weekend man; report back on Monday with what you viewed, and I'll have those Superbit reviews up for you in the Favorite Films section as well!

shokhead
08-20-2005, 05:24 AM
I had the same questions when setting up MY DVD player......why are there speaker distance and calibration settings on the DVD PLAYER'S menu when I already DID THIS through the receiver????

From my understanding, those speaker setups in the DVD player menu are, as everyone has been saying, for ANALOG MULTICHANNEL output such as for DVD Audio or if you are NOT connecting your receiver to your DVD player with a DIGITAL cable.....

Is this correct? I believe ALL distance settings, calibrations, etc, SHOULD be made through the RECEIVER if you are passing a bitstream digital signal through an optical or coax cable from the DVD player; those other settings on the DVD player for speaker distances, etc, are only if you are using RCA analog-type connections....

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.....

Right. Since its a Sony,it has a SACD setup and a DVD setup. All Analog connection and you set them both up. Analog for SACD and Dig for DVD,dont bother with the DVD setup.

Lexmark3200
08-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Right. Since its a Sony,it has a SACD setup and a DVD setup. All Analog connection and you set them both up. Analog for SACD and Dig for DVD,dont bother with the DVD setup.

Hey Shok,

But my DVD deck is a PANASONIC; this still applies, right, that the DVD speaker setup menu screen should not be adjusted for a DIGITAL connection between DVD player and receiver?

shokhead
08-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Sounds right to me.

Lexmark3200
08-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Sounds right to me.

Thanx.

Breezer88888
08-22-2005, 04:55 AM
No need for a drum roll - the results of my test are as Shokhead suggests. Don't Bother!! I should be glad about this since it eliminates the need to test further, or do the dreaded re-calibration. But I'm just annoyed that the Sony player was not intuitive enough to disable the speaker configuration when using a digital input. The set-up menu even asks you if you're using a digital input!

The Sony player's speaker configuration allowed for distances ranging from 4-50ft for the fronts and 0-52 for the side/rears. However it is a 5.1 set-up, not 7.1 which is what I have so I had to set the distance for the sides instead of the rears. After playing with the extremes under varying combinations, the sound, and more importantly the synchronization of dialogue as well as sound effects were indistinguishable.

Chicken Run, Pirates of the Caribbean, Hero, Tomb Raider, it was all good. Now I think I will concentrate on calibrating my TV's picture. Its a Sony rear projection LCD. I'm happy with it but I know it can be better. I have both DVE and Avia, which I've already used on my CRTs with good results. But I've been afraid to try this on the big screen.