But will there be a difference in MY system? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : But will there be a difference in MY system?

seanno
01-06-2004, 06:20 AM
My wife, God bless her, just bought me a set of surround speakers which I want to wire using in-wall wire. The Tweeter rep told her that she needed to buy Monster in-wall cable to acheive the potential of the speakers, or something like that. Thankfully she is leaving that decision to me. I have been reading many views on several websites over the past week concerning generic (i.e., Home Depot) speaker wire vs. "higher grade" (i.e., Monster Cable) wire. There seem to be a lot of debate over this and many participants seem to own higher end systems. My question is for everyone, but specifically for the group that believes there is an audible difference in speaker wire (of the same size). Should I hear a difference between 14/2 Monster cable and 14/2 Home depot in-wall wire, both are rated CL3, in my modest system? I would have a run of 30 ft and a run of 40 ft, BTW.

Receiver: Denon 3802
Mains: Boston VR-M50
Center: Boston VR-MC
Sorrounds: Boston VR-MX

I want to only buy one set of wires, so an A/B comparison is out of the question. I would like to do it soon and funds are low due to Xmas, so the $$ difference is fairly significant. Any input from both camps would be appreciated. thanks a bunch.

Swerd
01-06-2004, 06:52 AM
Should I hear a difference between 14/2 Monster cable and 14/2 Home depot in-wall wire, both are rated CL3, in my modest system? I would have a run of 30 ft and a run of 40 ft, BTW.

You will not hear any difference. Those two 14 guage wires are likely to be identical or of essentially similar manufacture. Get the least expensive and don't worry. The CL3 rating simply means that the insulation has a higher melting temperature than standard zipcord not intended for in-wall use. This meets fire safety regulations in building codes.

E-Stat
01-06-2004, 07:01 AM
Should I hear a difference between 14/2 Monster cable and 14/2 Home depot in-wall wire, both are rated CL3, in my modest system? I would have a run of 30 ft and a run of 40 ft.

From the all wire doesn't sound the same camp

No. I use even thinner 16 gauge wire for my HT surrounds. My experience is that the thicker gauge wire only helps with bass response which is largely absent in the rear channels. I use AR brand wire simply because that was what I found at Best Buy.

rw

FLZapped
01-06-2004, 09:13 AM
My wife, God bless her, just bought me a set of surround speakers which I want to wire using in-wall wire. The Tweeter rep told her that she needed to buy Monster in-wall cable to acheive the potential of the speakers, or something like that.

Monster is overpriced ordinary wire.

-Bruce

mtrycraft
01-06-2004, 11:49 PM
[b] My experience is that the thicker gauge wire only helps with bass response rw

Which may be unreliable at best.