Do you new AV receivers have this feature? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do you new AV receivers have this feature?

Dolby
08-17-2005, 01:14 AM
I've only ever bought two AV receivers in my life :

A Yamaha A590 Dolby Pro Logic system in the 90's, and
An Onkyo 575 5.1 system in 2001

The feature I loved most on the Onkyo was each source was independant of each other - both volume wise and processing-wise. I can have CD 'direct' , DVD 'surround', Tuner 'stereo', and Video 'pro logic II'. Each source has it's own volume so you weren't blown away or adjusting volume for every source chosen! I know the feature wasn't on all te receivers at the time - but I was wondering if they all had this now?

It's such a small feature - but I love it!

Worf101
08-17-2005, 05:48 AM
I've several Onkyo receivers, actually... that's all I use at home. I've installed a few Yammies over the past year but I personally like Onkyo's. Yes I love their quality build and feature rich layout. Yep, it's good stuff.

Da Worfster :cool:

Dolby
08-18-2005, 02:03 AM
But do the Yammies have this feature?

With my old Yamaha, you couldn't adjust individual source volumes, and everything would hav ethe same setting! ie If I set VIDEO to 'DPL' and switched to CD, then it too would be on 'DPL'. I'd change this to STEREO, and when I switch to VIDEO again, then it's on 'STEREO'. It's annoying.

Do Marantz in particular have this feature?

N. Abstentia
08-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Why not just get another Onkyo?

GMichael
08-18-2005, 05:42 AM
But do the Yammies have this feature?

With my old Yamaha, you couldn't adjust individual source volumes, and everything would hav ethe same setting! ie If I set VIDEO to 'DPL' and switched to CD, then it too would be on 'DPL'. I'd change this to STEREO, and when I switch to VIDEO again, then it's on 'STEREO'. It's annoying.

Do Marantz in particular have this feature?

My Yammie will remember what listening mode you were last using with what component. IE: it remembers that I like DTS from the DVD, and that I like 2 channel from the CD recorder. But, it does not adjust the volume level. If you are listing at -30db on the DVD and then switch to CD, it will change the mode but you'll still be at -30db.

L.J.
08-18-2005, 06:08 AM
My Yammie will remember what listening mode you were last using with what component. IE: it remembers that I like DTS from the DVD, and that I like 2 channel from the CD recorder. But, it does not adjust the volume level. If you are listing at -30db on the DVD and then switch to CD, it will change the mode but you'll still be at -30db.

That's exactly how my denon is. I also like the auto input most recv have. If I'm listening to digital music with 2 channel stereo and turn to an HD channel, the recv automatically switches to 5.1, then goes back to 2 channel stereo when I leave the HD channels. Gotta love all the convenience.

GMichael
08-18-2005, 06:16 AM
That's exactly how my denon is. I also like the auto input most recv have. If I'm listening to digital music with 2 channel stereo and turn to an HD channel, the recv automatically switches to 5.1, then goes back to 2 channel stereo when I leave the HD channels. Gotta love all the convenience.

Isn't technology great......

L.J.
08-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Isn't technology great......

Great, expensive and hard to keep up with. I've been into HT for about 6 years now and I could only imagine how much I've spent since day one. I love music and HT, and I'm not scared to spend money to get what I want. But what really gets me is the pace technology moves at. Everytime you turn your head, newer, smaller(haha) and better pops up for less money.

Dolby
08-18-2005, 08:22 AM
Actually looks like I may have to get aother Onkyo!

I would have thought that everything would have the volume thing at least!

Lexmark3200
08-18-2005, 02:46 PM
I've several Onkyo receivers, actually... that's all I use at home. I've installed a few Yammies over the past year but I personally like Onkyo's. Yes I love their quality build and feature rich layout. Yep, it's good stuff.

Da Worfster :cool:

Absolutely agreed, Worf! Onkyo makes an AWESOMELY SOLID product and you can feel it just by lifting on of their receivers; my TX-SR600 is a pretty solid workhorse for the $500 range it came from----the oversized internal components and all-aluminum faceplates make for a very quality product in the home theater receiver game; I really wouldn't buy a brand outside of Onkyo or Denon right now.

Lexmark3200
08-18-2005, 02:49 PM
.....could he be referring to Onkyo's INTELLI VOLUME feature, which allows you to dial in the sensitivity of each component being plugged into the receiver? My TX-SR600 has this feature, and the higher you push that IntellIVolume number for a given source, the louder that source gets at a lower volume on the receiver's display.......

Lexmark3200
08-18-2005, 02:50 PM
"Actually looks like I may have to get aother Onkyo!"

Do that......they're great receivers, along with their upper-level-line Integra models as well as stuff from Denon.

cyclone
08-18-2005, 04:05 PM
my marantz is the same way. it's called auto.

popolz
08-18-2005, 06:12 PM
my cheap a$$ JVC also have this feature and you can turn it on or off :D

Dolby
08-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Lexmark - that's what I'm referring to : Intellivolume. My 575 has this feature and it's seriously great and needed! You actually don't realise that you'd miss it - untill it's gone.

I see all the recievers have 'auto' - but do they have Intellivolume, or something similar?

L.J.
08-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Lexmark - that's what I'm referring to : Intellivolume. My 575 has this feature and it's seriously great and needed! You actually don't realise that you'd miss it - untill it's gone.

I see all the recievers have 'auto' - but do they have Intellivolume, or something similar?

My Denon(2805)remembers where I left off and adjusts the input according to the received signal as stated earlier. It even remembers the DSP for each source. But it doesnt remember the volume. I have about three seconds to turn the volume to a desired level. It is a nice feature but I really didn't even notice I had to adjust the volume with each source until reading this thread. What's funny is that my old JVC had that feature.

Lexmark3200
08-19-2005, 07:52 AM

Dolby,

I dont know if receivers outside of the Onkyo/Integra line have any kind of system in which you can "dial in" sensitivity inputs from other sources, like the INTELLIVOLUME feature does....I suspect they dont. This IntelliVolume is great because you can actually feed the receiver the "maximum gain" from each component so therefore you're not hearing NOTHING below, say, "40" on the volume display; much like the sensitivity input control for a car audio amp. My DVD player's input to the Onkyo is set to "+12" for the IntelliVolume, assuring me that maximum gain is coming from that source.....is this what you had in mind?