HT setup steps?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT setup steps??

madmax1
08-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Was wondering how often you go threw setup steps on your systems?? You know change this or that just to see whats a difference it does? What steps in order do you take to setup your system if say for music and movies, whats first? And how else can i use my SPL meter to do different tests? Just love to tinker, but i do write down all my settings before hand.

EdwardGein
08-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Was wondering how often you go threw setup steps on your systems?? You know change this or that just to see whats a difference it does? What steps in order do you take to setup your system if say for music and movies, whats first? And how else can i use my SPL meter to do different tests? Just love to tinker, but i do write down all my settings before hand.

The main thing to do if nothing else is to record anything you have done so if you want to revert to something you can. For me personally, I know most of this board will disagree I tried SPL levels with a digital reader from Radio Shack that I ran with Denon's test levels, and got better results when I just used my simple ears instead. I basically found for myself that if I kept the db levels at 0 for everything except the subwoofer +2, I go the best balanced sound for my ears from 5 speakers & a sub from playing CD's (all channels natural mode) which carried on to TV and DVD sound as well. My bass & treble levels are +2 each and volume for at least cd's is around 26 on Denon. I did adjust the distance level for my Denon receiver & speaker size (small) as well as the input controls.

To cut to the chase, if for your ears you get the best balanced sound doing it unscientifically, as opposed to scientifically through SPL, then keep the best sound even though technically its not what the SPL is telling you to do. If it sounds better through SPL then obviously keep those.

topspeed
08-16-2005, 05:45 PM
If anything moves, I recalibrate. When I change something in the front end, I recalibrate. I've just upgraded both my monitor and my main source so guess what I'm doing? Just waiting for DVE in the mail and away we go!

madmax1
08-16-2005, 06:23 PM
Could someone run me threw the steps to a full recal. Possibly other tests i could run on my system. Thanks!!