just a newbie question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : just a newbie question

Vincin
08-16-2005, 06:52 AM
Im setting up my 5.1 system together with my existing stereo amp and speakers - can I use my stereo amp for the L/R front channels?

or as my speakers have 2 pairs of binding post, should I hook up each pair to cables from stereo amp and av amp - I guess this would be the better way to get full sound effect for movie?

Thanks for the help.

paul_pci
08-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Im setting up my 5.1 system together with my existing stereo amp and speakers - can I use my stereo amp for the L/R front channels?

or as my speakers have 2 pairs of binding post, should I hook up each pair to cables from stereo amp and av amp - I guess this would be the better way to get full sound effect for movie?

Thanks for the help.

You need to be more specific about the equipment you have and/or are planning to get. What most people do in your situation is to buy a receiver that has at least two pre-outs. You connect your stereo amp to the receiver pre-outs for the main L/R speakers and then bi-wire or wire regularly the speakers to the amp. Then your receiver would power the remaining 3 or so speakers.