Can I keep things cool? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep things cool?

gweaver
11-16-2003, 11:19 AM
Hi all, I'm new here, but glad to find this forum. Hope you can give me some help. I recently purchased an Onkyo home theater receiver, and have it set up in an entertainment center. I've noticed that the receiver gets rather warm, (even at low volume settings) and I'm a bit concerned about it. I already removed the front doors from the cabinet, and I have about 1 1/2 inches of clearance above the receiver unit. My question is this: how warm is too warm? It's not too hot to touch, but I don't remember my old Kenwood getting that hot (and I had components stacked on top of it). I'm thinking about doing one of two things: cutting off part of the back panel of the cabinet and trying to install a small fan, or installing a small computer fan _inside_ the receiver case. to blow air out of the unit. I'm a bit reluctant to do that, as the unit is only about 2 weeks old. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to cool things?

TinHere
11-16-2003, 12:09 PM
Welcome gweaver.

I've read elsewhere that the Onkyo's run on the warm side. As long as it's not "hot" to the touch you should be ok. Your ideas are good but might not be necessary. You could put a thermometer in there to check the temp for peace of mind. Drilling a few holes might also help vent it since you have the doors off. Hopefully someone who has an Onkyo will respond. Good luck.

F1
11-17-2003, 12:37 AM
Tin,
I like your animation under your name. It makes me feel like hypnotized!!!
F1

Invader3k
11-17-2003, 12:24 PM
I have an Onkyo TX-SR700...have owned it since January, and use it on a daily basis, usually for a couple hours at a time. It does tend to run on the warm to very warm side. However, I have never had a problem with it, so I would not worry about it. If something bad did happen in the amp, I imagine the receiver would go into "protect" mode.

- Mason

Welcome gweaver.

I've read elsewhere that the Onkyo's run on the warm side. As long as it's not "hot" to the touch you should be ok. Your ideas are good but might not be necessary. You could put a thermometer in there to check the temp for peace of mind. Drilling a few holes might also help vent it since you have the doors off. Hopefully someone who has an Onkyo will respond. Good luck.

TinHere
11-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Tin,
I like your animation under your name. It makes me feel like hypnotized!!!
F1

Powers beyond my control made me use it. :D

gweaver
11-17-2003, 06:16 PM
Well, I called Crutchfield, who I bought the unit from, and the guy said that Onkyo does run a bit warm, and that if it isn't ventilated well enough, that it could shorten the life of the circuits. His suggestion was to cut a small hole in the back of the cabinet and mount a small fan of some sort to draw air through. Looks like I need to figure out a way to get a computer fan to work on 120V or find a REALLY quiet bathroom vent fan and mount that up.

Greg

F1
11-17-2003, 07:36 PM
...... Looks like I need to figure out a way to get a computer fan to work on 120V or find a REALLY quiet bathroom vent fan and mount that up.

Greg

You can find small AC to DC adapter for cheap, so you can plug in this adapter to AC outlet and connect the DC output (1.5 - 12V) to the fan. Try Radio Shack, they should have it. Good luck.