Stand Alone CD Recording from Cassettes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stand Alone CD Recording from Cassettes

EdwardGein
08-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Can someone please give me advice on what's the best way to convert audio cassettes into CDR's without going through your computer? I used to collect in the 70's all these live radio concerts on cassette & don't even own a cassette player any more other than my boombox & I don't even listen to cassettes anymore. Specifically, are there any stand alone CD recorders under $300 with a built in cassette player so you can just record a CD or do you need both a seperate CD Recorder and I guess a cassette deck? I tried to google and the only thing I could find right away is the Tascam CC-222mkII which is way too expensive for me. Any recommendations or advice other than doing this through the computer which is too messy and a pain in the ass for me? Your help appreciated, thanks.

paul_pci
08-14-2005, 05:29 PM
The only solution that comes to mind is the obvious one. Buy, beg or steal a cassetter player to plug into the receiver, and then buy, beg, or steal a CD recorder to plug into the receiver: play one, record with the other.

EdwardGein
08-14-2005, 05:44 PM
The only solution that comes to mind is the obvious one. Buy, beg or steal a cassetter player to plug into the receiver, and then buy, beg, or steal a CD recorder to plug into the receiver: play one, record with the other.

Thought you could go straight into the cd recorder from the cassette deck? Finally got a really good rack for my stuff on Ebay see below for $120 including shipping. The idiots from UPS again left this huge box with it in front of my door which anyone could have stolen. If anyone is interested, this guy sells them on Ebay all the time new. Had to assemble myself which was easy.

I moved a few blocks from where I was living before to a slightly bigger place but the rent unfortunately is $1400 a month. I got for my subwoofers sound isolaters which seem to work as I haven't had anyone complain about the stereo.

paul_pci
08-14-2005, 09:59 PM
That's a pretty nice looking rack. At least now you'll be more organized. Another thing, depending on how many cassettes were talking about, you might be able to find a service of someone who will do the transfer for you, for a fee.

N. Abstentia
08-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Well lookie here..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ONKYO-TA-RW303-STEREO-DUAL-CASSETTE-TAPE-DECK-DOLBY-B-C_W0QQitemZ5798598191QQcategoryZ48646QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Full logic controls, Dolby B & C, dual auto reverse...nice.

N. Abstentia
08-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Come on Hershon, you scour Ebay 23 hours a day..you can find a nice cassette deck! That's where I got mine..a real high end Onkyo deck for $120. Plug it straight to the CD recorder and you're good to go.

N. Abstentia
08-14-2005, 10:27 PM
If you've got 1000 tapes to transfer it's worth getting a high end tape deck for $60. Remember...using a crappy tape deck will just make crappy CD's.

EdwardGein
08-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Well lookie here..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ONKYO-TA-RW303-STEREO-DUAL-CASSETTE-TAPE-DECK-DOLBY-B-C_W0QQitemZ5798598191QQcategoryZ48646QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Full logic controls, Dolby B & C, dual auto reverse...nice.

Don't quite get the drift but thanks anyway. I don't listen to cassettes through my receiver in fact don't listen to them all really other than through my boom box which is a dual cassette system plus CD player & in fact maybe listen to 4 tapes a year of my 1000 or so collection.. If I have to get stand alone cassette deck its just for output to a CD recorder so I'm looking for something real cheap. I'd still prefer some combo cassette player CD recorder but they seem to be fairly expensive. But thanks for showing it to me.

N. Abstentia
08-14-2005, 10:36 PM
You could also do this with a computer you know...get a $5 cable from Radio Shack to connect the tape deck to your sound card and download Audacity and you're set assuming you have a program that will burn audio CD's from wav files. In fact that's my preferred method because you can add fades, cut & paste seamlessly where you want (say like you have a live concert and want to make each song a track). With a standalone CD recorder you have to babysit it and manually add tracks and if you screw up you get to start all over again from the start.

EdwardGein
08-14-2005, 10:54 PM
If you ever have a chance, you might have done this in the past, can you post some photos of your setup. My problem with doing this through my computer is where do I put the tape deck & crap- don't need more wiring around. I'm surprised that more companies haven't put out a cassette player cd recorder. The only ones I see retai for $750 or so. I actually saw one place which I'm surprised the don't advertise more, put out a record player cd recorder that was under $300.

Lexmark3200
08-18-2005, 03:14 PM
I have made plenty of cassette-to-CDR transfers from tape decks to my Marantz DR700 stand alone CD recorder and they all came out fine....

Why is this in the home theater section anyway?