DVE question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVE question

topspeed
08-14-2005, 10:11 AM
After reading the threads here comparing DVE to AVIA and S&V, it sound like DVE is the way to go. However, after reading many of the reviews on amazon regarding this disc, it sounds like I'll need to access the service menus to really dial my set in. Is this right? It sounds like the AVIA disc is too outdated for LCoS sets and S&V is too basic. For those of you that have DVE or have compared it to the others, what's your take?

paul_pci
08-14-2005, 12:15 PM
I have DVE, but none of the others, so my insight is not comparative. DVE is hard to navigate, but patience and "rainman" like repetition will familiarize you enough to smoothly get through and findnthe right menus. I noticed on newer tvs, the basic tv calibration was mostly unnecessary, but my 27" CRT certainly benefited from it. There are more advanced service menus for tv calibration but there's no instruction or guidance as to what you're supposed to do with them; so, I got the impression that one would already have to know what these test screens are and mean if they are going to be of any benefit.

kexodusc
08-14-2005, 02:48 PM
I don't find DVE to be difficult to navigate at all. If you can navigate into a DVD's bonus features, and have ever unlocked even 1 easter egg, you've already performed more complicated tasks than the DVE navigation.

The basic calibration on was much needed on the 3 new sets I've used my disc for this year - 2 RPTV, and one DLP. You'd be surprised how off they are.

You'll probably need to enter the service menu regardless of which disc you get to get the best results short of paying $300 for an ISF tech to visit. In fact, outside of the basic setup options, that's where you pretty much have to go.

I'd recommend DVE over AVIA now in hindsight, AVIA didn't do anything more for me than DVE, and it's cheaper.

Also, don't expect to get everything perfect. These sets are so far off from spec from the factory that most users report having to make minor compromises here and there...so don't panic when you can't get green quite right in the SMPTE pattern (the one I've heard the most). You'll get 99% of the way there.

Remember to disable all the picture enhancing features in your TV and DVD player menus, that can save a few hours of frustration.

Woochifer
08-14-2005, 05:12 PM
If anything's outdated about Avia, it's the audio tests because it does not include any DTS or 6.1 tests. The video tests on Avia should work fine because they include a full battery of tests that go with a three-color filter. DVE has a larger set of tests, but a lot of them won't make any difference unless you know your way around the service menus. Avia's main disadvantage is that it costs about $40, while stores typically sell DVE for around $20.

The menu system on DVE can be very frustrating to get around, but so long as you have the instruction booklet, you'll at least know where all the various functions are located. I have only used DVE with a CRT analog TV, so I have yet to use its more advanced video tests. Regardless though, most TVs come from the factory with the settings way off from reference standards, and from everything I've read, a calibration disc will get you most of the way there. If you're after that last bit of video accuracy, then you'll have to call in an ISF technician and have your set calibrated professionally. You might want to post something over on the AVS Forum to check on how the JVC D-ILA sets fare after adjusting only the user-accessible controls. It seems that some manufacturers' sets don't benefit as much from an ISF calibration as others do.

kexodusc
08-14-2005, 05:23 PM
The AVS Forum is usually helpful...good call.

The best HDTV forum I've seen by far is: http://www.hdtvoice.com

Just find the appropriate forum for your manufacturer and get some advice from tons of knowledgeable HDTV guys on anything TV related.

topspeed
08-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll post over at avs and see what they say as well.