Need Review of Current Setup (new Sony 50" LCD) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Review of Current Setup (new Sony 50" LCD)

rcraig
08-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Hi,

I finally made the jump into HD and purchased a Sony KDF-E50A10 50 Inch Grand WEGA High Definition LCD TV. Directv is coming on Friday to install the new HD equipment. Right now I have the TV hooked to a Sony SAT-A65 Directv Receiver, a Yamaha HTR-5280 Receiver, and Polk Audio RM-2300 Speakers. I have a S Video cable runnning directly from the Directv receiver into the Sony TV and have optical audio running from the Directv receiver into the Yamaha AV receiver. The picture quality seems to vary from channel to channel, but overall it's pretty decent, but of course a defininte step down from my Sony 35" tube.

Once Directv installs their HD piece, I have a Belkin HDMI cable I will be using to run from the new Directv receiver directly into the TV. What I'm wonering is how will the quality compare to what I am seeing for non-HD channels right now, using a S Video cable? I'm sure I will be estatic over the HD channels, but I would really like to get a feel for non-HD.

Summary:

Current config: Sony HD LCD TV - non-HD sony Directv receiver - S video connector directly from TV to Directv box - Optical audio from Directv receiver to Yamaha AV Receiver.

Come Friday: Sony HD LCD TV - HD Directv receiver - HDMI cable connecting TV and HD Directv box - Optical audio from Directv receiver to Yamaha AV Receiver.

I hope this makes sense! Feel free to ask me any questions. I appreciated all replies anad comments. I was so sold on the current Samsung DLP, but when I went in to make the purchase and they had this Sony 50" LCD side by side, the colors on this Sony LCD looked so "rich and deep" it was amazing. I think I just have short term buyers remorse that will quickly go away come Friday.

Note: my Yamaha AV receiver does not have HDMI.

Finally, it seems like I am skimping on the coaxil cable coming from the wall into the Directv receiver. I presume there is a high grade coaxil cable I should be using? I'm really trying to avoid any "weak links."

Thanks so much!
Rob

edtyct
08-15-2005, 04:21 AM
Hi Rob,

Things should improve all around when you move to the HD box and the HDMI connection, releasing your signal from an analog to digital conversion. Depending on your degree of fussiness, you may notice that the colors vary between your HD and non-HD stations. If it bothers you (and it may not), you could always set up the Sony to receive HD through a diffrent setting--for example, Vvid vs. Pro for non-HD. Though it's somewhat outside my nature, I've always like Sony's Vivid for non-ISF calibrated HD. The cable coming from the dish to the receiver is largely noncritical. You may have RG59 from your previous installation; RG6, which has better shielding, is usually the preferred cable for satellite. Belkin makes a good one, but DirecTV will most likely show up with the right gauge.

Ed

rcraig
08-15-2005, 05:38 AM
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info! Your comments bring up another question. The house is about 5 years old. I'm wondering what kind of cable (from the Satellite to the outlets) was run. I hope and pray it's ok and wouldn't need replaced. This TV is located in a built-in entertainment wall and getting new cable ran down to the outlet could be quite a challenge.

Thanks again,
Rob

edtyct
08-15-2005, 06:08 AM
Rob,

The old cable is probably fine. Just don't let the installer leave until you're satisfied that the picture doesn't have the kind of overtly disturbing artifacts that you can't fix via the TV's controls, which is highly unlikely. You can dazzle him/her with your knowledge of RG59 and RG60. Check the cable from the wall; it may identify itself. You'll undoubtedly have to make your own adjustments to color, tint, contrast, etc. I recommend, as others on this board would, a good setup disk--for example, Digital Video Essentials or AVIA. Even though it will serve first and foremost to integrate your DVD player with the TV, it should also get you into the ballpark with your satellite feed.

By the way, the Sonys do shine on HD material. On colorful, bright channels like DiscoveryHD, ESPN, and HDNET, they are as good as it gets. Just sit the recommended distance away and you're golden.

Ed