No sound from Samsung 850. HELP!!!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : No sound from Samsung 850. HELP!!!!!!!

L.J.
08-14-2005, 07:39 AM
My brother got a new tv and dvd player. I went to his house to install everything for him including some old HT equipment. I used the provided HDMI cable from the Samsung 850 and ran that to his 60" sony wega. I then ran a fiber optic cable from the Samsung to the recv.(JVC 803). I put on a dvd and a message, (sound not supported) appeared on the screen. I double checked all the connections and setting, tried again but the same message appeared. I was able to get 2 channel sound though. I decided to try not using the HDMI and just used a yellow video cable and the 5.1 worked. Any thoughts as to why I could'nt get a digital audio signal while using the HDMI cable?

edtyct
08-15-2005, 04:38 AM
L.J.

On the surface, you've done everything right, but your internal settings might be at fault. If memory serves, the 850 might not support audio, or at least mutichannel audio, via HDMI. That may be the reason for the message on your TV screen through HDMI. Check the audio options on the DVD player. Make sure that the 850 isn't set up to output HDMI audio; fiber optic output is the right ticket. It may be that HDMI allows the receiver to access only two audio channels through the other digital outputs as a default. Don't assume that using HDMI for video will ensure that 5.1 digital audio elsewhere will come along for the ride as a matter of course. You may have to distinguish them manually.

Ed

L.J.
08-15-2005, 05:45 AM
L.J.

On the surface, you've done everything right, but your internal settings might be at fault. If memory serves, the 850 might not support audio, or at least mutichannel audio, via HDMI. That may be the reason for the message on your TV screen through HDMI. Check the audio options on the DVD player. Make sure that the 850 isn't set up to output HDMI audio; fiber optic output is the right ticket. It may be that HDMI allows the receiver to access only two audio channels through the other digital outputs as a default. Don't assume that using HDMI for video will ensure that 5.1 digital audio elsewhere will come along for the ride as a matter of course. You may have to distinguish them manually.

Ed

I went through the settings and troubleshooting of all three about 50 times. There wasnt alot of audio options. Either something was wrong with the player or I'm just retarded. Anyways I convinced him to return the Samsung and go with an HK(DVD22) which I personally feel is a much better player. I've owned the Samsung 841 and the HK DVD22 and felt the HK was better. Even though the Samsung 841 was DVI, The picture never seemed to much better than component and I always felt the Samsung was cheaply built. To sum this up I went with Denon for myself and my bro. is happy with the HK.

edtyct
08-15-2005, 05:51 AM
For what it's worth, I agree. The Samsung digital upconverters have always had their share of problems, and some of them appear to have been the result of the low price point. The 841 also used PC black levels that were all wrong for video displays, crushing blacks mercilessly. I'm all for low prices but not to an extent that compromises build quality. Neither HK nor Denon are likely to suffer from that kind of problem.

Ed