Need help deciding on which turntable to buy (2 choices) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on which turntable to buy (2 choices)

DavidMichael
08-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Help! I am trying to decide between 2 turntables (both used). The first is a rega p25 with a RB-300 arm upgraded with incognito wiring, that comes with a record brush, the second is a technics SL1210 M5G "Grandmaster" with Origin Live silver tonearm and Origin Live armboard, and also incudes the original technics M5G tone arm with 2 M5G headshells. Neither table has a cartridge included. They are both around the same price. ($600-$700) Please help! I need as much advice as possible as soon as possible, as I must make my decision in 1-2 days. Thanks!

Mr Peabody
08-12-2005, 08:22 PM
I have a Rega P3 and I believe the RB 300, mine is the arm that typically comes with the P3. I've had a Techniques in the past and granted I don't think it was their high end, although it was a direct drive linear tracking. The Rega is so much sonically better, I'm talking light years. I'd recommend the Rega, the P25 is even better than mine and I've never heard vinyl sound as good as when I first started listening to my Rega. I'm using a Rega Elys cart. My turntable of course has a different presentation than my cd player but as far as listenability it is on par. I know people say vinyl sounds better but the ole Krell holds it own pretty well, I could not choose if I had to give one up. I guess what I'm trying to say is the fidelity of the Rega is incredible. The phono preamp and cartridge has a lot to do with your sound but it helps to have a good table.

It's not all in the cartridge either, that Techniques tt I bought when an old Pioneer broke. I took the cart off the Pioneer and placed it on the new Techniques, and on the same system, the Techniques sounded worse than the Pioneer did. So I ended up taking the Techniques back and getting the 70's Pioneer monster fixed. That taught me that it all isn't in the cartridge and there is a difference in tables. Neither of these tables are even in the same league as my Rega.

DavidMichael
08-12-2005, 08:46 PM
thanks for the info peabody. i'm leaning towards the rega now, even though i think the technics has the better tonearm.

DavidMichael
08-12-2005, 08:48 PM
if anyone else has any experience with either of thes decks, id love to hear from you.

JohnMichael
08-13-2005, 06:47 AM
I am a Rega owner and I have to vote for the Rega. I have also had my tonearm rewired several years ago with the Incognito rewire and have been very pleased. I think you will be more satisfied with a belt driven turntable musically compared to the direct drive unless you need the features the Technics offers. Also the Regas can be moddified in several ways to improve their performance such as metal subplatters, dropped counterweights for the arm, acrylic platters to replace the glass, and record mats. Of course they sound good as is.

RGA
08-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Apparently the Rega arm wiring sucks - but the arms are used by many other manufacturers.

I am considering an Audio Note TT1 or TT2 and they both come with re-weired Rega tonearms. My dealer carries Rega, Linn, Project, Dual, Audio Note and has a Clear Audio ,and i've heard the Roksan Radius 5. I get the sense the Rega arm is better than their players -- my NAD is a Rega turntable.

Woochifer
08-14-2005, 05:59 PM
You're talking about two completely different turntables here, so why are you in such a hurry? The Technics you listed is a DJ deck designed for maximum durability, quick starts and stops, high torque for backcuing, and wide variable pitch range. The Regas are well-designed basic turntables with far less on the feature set and a less durable build, but with better sound quality.

The Technics SL-1200s have decent sound quality, but they lack the refinement of the Regas. On the other hand, the Regas are not designed for heavy duty use, backcuing, and variable pitch playback, and the Technics decks are very well isolated. The Technics tonearms are S-shaped so that a DJ can cue up a track without accidentally bumping it. In actuality, the Rega tonearms are better if you value sound quality.

It pretty much comes down to how you intend to play your turntable, and what you're looking for. Personally, I don't see how these two turntables can be compared to one another because they are designed for different types of listening.

DavidMichael
08-15-2005, 11:54 AM
well, i gues i'm more interested in sound quality so i guess the rega is for me

hifitommy
08-28-2005, 01:55 PM
rb300s dont suck. improving the wire will probably improve the sound somewhat but i wouldnt go ape over it. its true that the lower the signal level, the more effect wire has over the sound but a stock rb300 will sound just fine and have the refinement over the technics.

there has been a lot of buzz about the 1200 but it is just easier to use with decent sound. the refined sound of the rega will serve the music lover better overall.