Which HT speaker package would you buy? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which HT speaker package would you buy?

Roll Tide
08-11-2005, 05:33 PM
i'm a novice trying to find a new home theater speaker system and after reading much more than i should have, or understand, I have narrowed my search down to the following speaker packages. Now i'd like to ask you which of these systems would you purchase? let me start by saying the room i'm setting these up in is about 20 feet long and 15 feet wide. the ceilings are two story and about 20 feet tall.

These speaker packages range from around $400 to $800. i really don't want to spend any more than $800.

Harman Kardon HTKS 14
Mirage Nanoset
Definitive Technology Cinema 60

Is there another set you'd prefer for $800 or less? Athena? Wharfedale? Polk? Infinity?

I know i need to hear them all with my own ears, but i'd also like to hear what you all think.

thanks!

paul_pci
08-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Do yourself a favor and don't buy a ready-made 5-speaker package. You could do one of two things: put together a decent set up of Infinity or Polk by buying the highest quality front three speakers and lesser quality rear bookshelves within your budget, or take your $800 and buy a pair of bookshelf speakers you like best and build from there in the future. If you feel like you're going to have a long-term and somewhat serious committment to home theater audio, then go with the latter choice, If you just want surround sound and then get on with your life, go with the former option.

Roll Tide
08-12-2005, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the info. i thought about piecing together a system with the components I have now, but my center Polk is a TS101 that's about 10 years old, and my fronts are DCM Timeframe 400s. While all are ok, none are great and they really aren't compatible.

i'll try to read some reviews on bookshelf speakers and see what's highest rated. I'll also visit a few audio stores in my city and see what they have. i've been in Circuit City and Best Buy and nothing has stood out as being great.

Can anyone recommend some really good front and a center channel speakers that i could get for around $500? i'll need a new sub more than likely also and i figure i'll need around $300 for the sub.

thanks for the feedback.

L.J.
08-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the info. i thought about piecing together a system with the components I have now, but my center Polk is a TS101 that's about 10 years old, and my fronts are DCM Timeframe 400s. While all are ok, none are great and they really aren't compatible.

i'll try to read some reviews on bookshelf speakers and see what's highest rated. I'll also visit a few audio stores in my city and see what they have. i've been in Circuit City and Best Buy and nothing has stood out as being great.

Can anyone recommend some really good front and a center channel speakers that i could get for around $500? i'll need a new sub more than likely also and i figure i'll need around $300 for the sub.

thanks for the feedback.

I think paul's advice is right on. My first HT set up was a boxed set(sub wasnt even powered) and man did I regret it later on. Well actually I didnt know any better. I stayed with family who had a HT system and boy did I discover that what I had was popcorn. My father-in-law put on saving private ryan and got more sound from his fronts than I was getting from my whole system. Needless to say I came home and upgraded my whole system. I would avoid a box system if your heart is really set on some serious HT.

As far as selecting speakers, I was recently in your same situation. After spending an endless amount of time researching and reading reviews I found that different people like different things. To make a long a long story short I went out and listened to the best quality speakers I could in my price range and went with my own judgement. I got the speakers home and I love em. A thousand people probably would tell me I should've went this way or that way but that's their opinion. I say do what makes YOU happy.(My dad, for instance, purchased a box system for $200 and he loves it. All the explaining in the world could'nt get him to change his mind)

Roll Tide
08-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks. I think you are right. i just need to read all i can, listen to every speaker i can find, and then just pick something and go with it. i guess my fear is i don't trust my ears enough to know what really sounds good and what's just average. but i guess if it's good to me the rest can stick it in their ear. i paid for it.

i appreciate all the input you and other readers put in. i really enjoy hearing all the opinions and advice.

BEETLEMAN
08-12-2005, 07:49 AM
I would have to agree that spending your money on good quality pieces at intervals is your best option. ive been piecing together a system for over 5 years now and have finally started to get what i consider a good system, although not great it is starting to become respectable.
trying out speakers and finding what you like, dont listen to what other people like its all up to you. suggestions are fine but what it comes down to is what sounds good to you.
just my 2 cents

L.J.
08-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks. I think you are right. i just need to read all i can, listen to every speaker i can find, and then just pick something and go with it. i guess my fear is i don't trust my ears enough to know what really sounds good and what's just average. but i guess if it's good to me the rest can stick it in their ear. i paid for it.

i appreciate all the input you and other readers put in. i really enjoy hearing all the opinions and advice.

One more thing. As I was looking for speakers I found that Good Guys and Magnolia Hifi had a very good selection of quality speakers. The sales staff at both places were also very knowledgable and they had very good listening rooms.(Although setting em up at home is the best place to get a true feel.) Best Buy on the other had me listening to speakers on a 6ft aisle with the fronts 2ft in my face. The centers(3 of them) were on a shelf and I could'nt get to them to see which one was playing because the tv was in the way. When I asked a salesman if he knew which center was playing he started putting his hands in front of the towers. I just turned around and walked out.