Pioneer amplifier opinions requested [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer amplifier opinions requested

Degend
08-11-2005, 11:26 AM
I have an old Pioneer A-5 amp, that I've been using since I bought it new, well over 20 years ago. I've always liked it (and though I'm probably odd, I really like the look of it), though I'd like to improve both the sound quality and the power of my existing stereo system.

So I'm thinking about buying something bigger from the same series. Can anyone offer comments on the series, or some of the models like the A-8 or A-9? I think they have respectable specifications. Does the performance compare at all to more collectable pioneer stuff?

Thank you

PS. Just in case it's totally unheard of, here's a pic of an A-5 (link to ebay):

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5796810924&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Glen B
08-12-2005, 12:35 PM
I have an old Pioneer A-5 amp, that I've been using since I bought it new, well over 20 years ago. I've always liked it (and though I'm probably odd, I really like the look of it), though I'd like to improve both the sound quality and the power of my existing stereo system.

So I'm thinking about buying something bigger from the same series. Can anyone offer comments on the series, or some of the models like the A-8 or A-9? I think they have respectable specifications. Does the performance compare at all to more collectable pioneer stuff?

Thank you

PS. Just in case it's totally unheard of, here's a pic of an A-5 (link to ebay):

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5796810924&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I owned an A-8 around 1981/1982, along with the matching reverberation amp and turntable. IMO, the A-series components with their departure from ubiquitious black were the most handsome ever from Pioneer. While I can understand your nostalgia for the A-series, I don't see the wisdom in "upgrading" to another 2-decade-old amp. I think that If you want a marked step upward in performance, you should look to a more modern amp. Before you do that though, you should first concentrate on upgrading your JVC speakers. IMO, this is where you will notice the most improvement. There are lots of great sounding, affordable speakers at your disposal.