Floorstanding Speakers in the REAR [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floorstanding Speakers in the REAR

GMichael
08-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Hey! I was wondering how some Jamo floor standing speakers would perform as REAR SPEAKERS. Yes, so I want a total of 4 floor standings. I will also place a center channel both in the front and back, with two subwoofers. Please tell me what you think...and believe it or not, I'm actually only spending $40 more for this.

THANKS

Sounds like this could really really hurt! But I bet it will sound good. What brand/model speakers are you planning on?

Yoda
08-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Hey! I was wondering how some Jamo floor standing speakers would perform as REAR SPEAKERS. Yes, so I want a total of 4 floor standings. I will also place a center channel both in the front and back, with two subwoofers. Please tell me what you think...and believe it or not, I'm actually only spending $40 more for this.

THANKS

Yoda
08-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Why do you say....ouch....that could really hurt?

L.J.
08-11-2005, 11:08 AM

THANKS

sounds like a killer system to me. seems like it should sound great.

Yoda
08-11-2005, 11:10 AM
I plan on using E770 in the front and E 750 in the back.

GMichael
08-11-2005, 11:12 AM
They sure look great. Both 6 ohms, both come in the same finishes, both use the same E 7CEN for the center. Seems to me that it should work well as long as you have the room. I've never heard these though. Have you had a listen? What are you going to drive them with?

Yoda
08-11-2005, 11:17 AM
HAHA!!

I plan on driving them with an Integra DTR-7.4. What do you mean my multi-channel audio?

kexodusc
08-11-2005, 11:17 AM
How did GMichael's reply show up before the original post?

Anyway...

The only downside I can see to rear towers is the height. For Dolby Digital/DTS you will be better off having the height of the speakerabove ear level. 6 ft seems to be the popular recommendation... I'm not sure why they did it that way...maybe better sound diffusion? But that's what's called for.

For multi-channel audio you'd want the speakers all at the same height.
Believe me this can and does make a difference, as you effectively change the summed response of the woofer and tweeter as you move along the vertical axis...

I have a pair of speakers that when measured at 2 meters (6.5 feet) will exhibit a -4 dB drop at the crossover region if I move the mic from in-line with the tweeter to in-line with the woofer. Sound wise it's actually not bad at all, gives the illusion of a deeper center image. But for some tastes it might not be desireable.

GMichael
08-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Why do you say....ouch....that could really hurt?

The title "Floorstanding Speakers in the REAR " sounds like you are planning to sit on them.

My bad humor.

Yoda
08-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Why The Hell Are The Posts Out Of Order!!!

N. Abstentia
08-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Should work fine (as long as they are high enough as kexodusc said) and it's similar to what I'm doing, except I don't like floorstanders...I prefer the sound of stand mounts and I'm using basically 4 identical Paradigm Studio's. However the rears will be 4" higher than the fronts.

nb2bass
08-12-2005, 08:05 AM
I also plan to use 4 floor standing speakers in the future with 2 subwoofers. Just not right now, i don't think my neighbors will like it ;)

J*E*Cole
08-15-2005, 08:19 AM
I use 4 Infinity Alpha 50 floorstanders with the rear ones both elevated on tables about 18" off the floor. This allows them to clear some obstacles and better directs their sound. The front ones are just sitting on the floor with their spikes, slightly longer in the front. When I switched out my Paradigm bookshelfs for the Alpha 50's in the rear, the difference in sound was amazing. Even though the rears actually do very little work, somehow the larger floorstanders do make a very big difference.

bjornb17
08-15-2005, 03:37 PM
i have floorstanders as two of my surrounds, and while i like the sound of them, the problem is that they are below ear level. I suppose if i found a way to elevate them, they'd be better for the job :P

Worf101
08-16-2005, 11:02 AM
I use two Ohm Walsh 2's as my rears and have no problems. My main problem is my room is not right for HT and the rears are on the same horizontal plane as my couch.

Da Worfster :cool: