Yamaha RX V1400 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RX V1400

crane0271
01-05-2004, 07:04 PM
After some great advice, and a great price I chose to buy a Denon AVR 1082. Tweeter.com had it for $490. They confirmed my order on Friday, and then emailed me a cancellation notice today...no big deal.

Back to the drawing board.

After reading several other threads, I am considering the Yamaha 1400. The prices at the authorized dealers are somewhere around $150 - $200 higher than some of the other retailers. I understand that in order to get the warranty you must buy from an authorized e-tailer. Should I save the $200 or spend the extra money for the warranty?

uncooked
01-05-2004, 07:14 PM
personally i would get the waranty. for 200 bucks its not that much. the 1400 is fairly expensive so 200 now is alot less then loosing 800 + in the future

i would just sleep better knowing that. im sure you would to. work a bit of overtime and you will have the 200 in no time

phillyguy
01-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Crane,

Sorry you missed out on that deal for the Denon . I ordered mine 12/31, and got a noticed that it shipped 1/03. It still hasn't shown up on UPS tracking, although Tweeter assures me it has shipped. I will be bummed if I get a cancellation letter...price was too good to pass up. I will keep my eyes open and let you know if I find another deal.

I struggled with whether or not to buy from an authorized dealer. I hate the price difference, but I have had audio equipment break, and would hate to have a warranty refused on an expensive piece of equipment. There is a lot to be said about being able to return a broken unit locally, instead of having to pack it back up and ship it.

Phillyguy

brian_tr
01-07-2004, 06:02 AM
I to have deciced to go with my local store. They have done good by me for several years. Getting it for $699 + tax. Should be in today. Still trying to decide on a DVD. Think I am going to go ahead and get the Panasonic Model DVDF85S. Looks like a good unit for $134.

crane0271
01-07-2004, 10:42 AM
I have a local Denon dealer that has a 2803 for $699. Any drawbacks to this choice...it seems to have most of the features I'm looking for (no front A/V plugs, though and only 90W per). I am beginnig to warm to the idea of the local dealer just in case I need repairs.

r0n
01-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Funny.... I started to look for my side surround speakers event though I have 5.1 receiver. I was going to use the rear preout using my carver amp. Well while researching speakers I cam accross a great article on the rx-v1400. As I started researching more and read more about the product. My mouth started to drool because of the features and mainly the price. Does almost what a $3000 receiver does for only +/- $600.

I just ordered mine for $579.00 shipped insured. Right when I called the sales person told me this is a factory new receiver but since they are not a authorized dealer they cannot honor the warrant but.... if I buy the 3 year extended warranty for $49 then I can take it to any authorized dealer for repair. I asked if I can purchase the warranty in 2 weeks and he said yes they actually sell the warranty buy itself for $49. So for $630 you can have a receiver with a 3 year warranty and that includes insured shipping.

-R

Woochifer
01-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Funny.... I started to look for my side surround speakers event though I have 5.1 receiver. I was going to use the rear preout using my carver amp. Well while researching speakers I cam accross a great article on the rx-v1400. As I started researching more and read more about the product. My mouth started to drool because of the features and mainly the price. Does almost what a $3000 receiver does for only +/- $600.

I just ordered mine for $579.00 shipped insured. Right when I called the sales person told me this is a factory new receiver but since they are not a authorized dealer they cannot honor the warrant but.... if I buy the 3 year extended warranty for $49 then I can take it to any authorized dealer for repair. I asked if I can purchase the warranty in 2 weeks and he said yes they actually sell the warranty buy itself for $49. So for $630 you can have a receiver with a 3 year warranty and that includes insured shipping.

-R

Sorry, but Yamaha's about as strict as they come when it comes to enforcing their warranty policies. As far as I know, their authorized repair centers will NOT accept any unit purchased from an unauthorized vendor, even if you offer to pay for the repairs. The extended warranty that you mention is basically a contract with your vendor, so if something does go wrong, you'll likely have to send it back to them and who knows how long it will take to get back to you. Bottomline, don't rely on what the sales rep tells you, get it in writing along with a list of repair centers that will honor the extended warranty! Yamahas are very reliable, but the RX-V1400 is a pretty substantial design change from their previous models and it's relatively new so we don't know if it's got any problems.

Woochifer
01-14-2004, 10:20 PM
After some great advice, and a great price I chose to buy a Denon AVR 1082. Tweeter.com had it for $490. They confirmed my order on Friday, and then emailed me a cancellation notice today...no big deal.

Back to the drawing board.

After reading several other threads, I am considering the Yamaha 1400. The prices at the authorized dealers are somewhere around $150 - $200 higher than some of the other retailers. I understand that in order to get the warranty you must buy from an authorized e-tailer. Should I save the $200 or spend the extra money for the warranty?

See what kind of deal you can negotiate with a local dealer. I got my Yamaha (also $800 MSRP) for under $600 at a local authorized store, so that came with the dealer and the warranty (still working flawlessly three years later, so I didn't need the warranty). Doubt you'll be able to go that far down since the RX-V1400 is relatively new, but once Denon's AVR-3805 begins shipping (it also has a parametric room calibration feature), you'll have some more bargaining leverage.

r0n
01-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Sorry, but Yamaha's about as strict as they come when it comes to enforcing their warranty policies. As far as I know, their authorized repair centers will NOT accept any unit purchased from an unauthorized vendor, even if you offer to pay for the repairs. The extended warranty that you mention is basically a contract with your vendor, so if something does go wrong, you'll likely have to send it back to them and who knows how long it will take to get back to you. Bottomline, don't rely on what the sales rep tells you, get it in writing along with a list of repair centers that will honor the extended warranty! Yamahas are very reliable, but the RX-V1400 is a pretty substantial design change from their previous models and it's relatively new so we don't know if it's got any problems.

Thanks for the update. Sad news for me. I'm going to call the place tomorrow and find out if it's the unauthorize vendor that is going to take the warranty claim or yamaha authorize repair center. If they say yamaha repair center which they did when I first to talk to them. I'm going to ask them to put it in writting.

-R