Ground Loop Hum from Cable TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ground Loop Hum from Cable TV

Hairsonfire
08-10-2005, 03:41 PM
I took my Sony ES DVD player in for service (drawer was sticking) and they gave me a loaner; Now I have incredibly annoying hum from all of my speakers. Disconnect cable - hum gone. Driving me NUTS. I mostly watch DVDs but occasionally like to show off the HDTV capabilities of my 57" Wide Screen. I am dreading picking up my DVD player - what if I find out that it isn't the crappy loaner player that is causing the hum. Oh, what to do, what to do. Anyone have any advice? I have tried just about everything I can think of. If I can't remedy this situation, I am going to cancel my cable. Would a dish system be an alternative? Any replies sincerely appreciated . . .

Hairsonfire
08-21-2005, 07:14 AM
I took my Sony ES DVD player in for service (drawer was sticking) and they gave me a loaner; Now I have incredibly annoying hum from all of my speakers. Disconnect cable - hum gone. Driving me NUTS. I mostly watch DVDs but occasionally like to show off the HDTV capabilities of my 57" Wide Screen. I am dreading picking up my DVD player - what if I find out that it isn't the crappy loaner player that is causing the hum. Oh, what to do, what to do. Anyone have any advice? I have tried just about everything I can think of. If I can't remedy this situation, I am going to cancel my cable. Would a dish system be an alternative? Any replies sincerely appreciated . . .

Just for closure, I picked up my DVD Player and all is quiet now. Interesting that the integrity of the system would be so disrupted by just one component. Amazing.

edtyct
08-21-2005, 11:55 AM
There were at least two big threads about ground loops within the last two months or so. People may have been burned out on the topic. Sometimes it's a good idea to search the archives.

Ed