J...I need some help with an old record [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : J...I need some help with an old record

Hyfi
08-10-2005, 07:07 AM
I have a set of 45s that is on RCA Victor. It is Spike Jones doing the Nutcracker Suite. No date anywhere. Still in original box and great condition.

Any idea where to look for Year and Value?

Thanks,

Brian

MindGoneHaywire
08-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Well, I went straight to the first place I thought would make any sense to look--AMG. It's the first listing in his discography--but it's listed as an album, and with absolutely NO information. It says it's from 1945. I took a look on Ebay & there are 3 auctions currently up for this item. The sellers all appear to be fairly reputable according to their feedback rating, and all three have priced the opening bid around $8.00-$10.00. What sucks is that there are no completed items for this, which is where you see what something actually sells for, as opposed to what it's bidding for at the moment, and the best way to truly determine the value, at least according to Ebay standards, which is pretty accurate so far as I can tell. No bids on any of them at this point, and one ends in like 3 hours. So, sadly, I don't think you're looking at an extremely valuable item here in any case. However, I know someone who'd know far more about this than a minute and a half spent on the web could tell, and if you'd like, I can try to put you in touch with him. Let me know...

KEXPMF
08-19-2005, 08:54 AM
J - I was going to ring you to ask more ebay questions, as I'm just starting to sell stuff. And YOU are the master!!

Do you find, more often than not (with exceptions of course) that things you think ARE valueable aren't and things you've never heard of ARE? I'm finding that. I thought Beatles LPs were valuable. NOT.

I'm selling some LPs. The person who lived here before me passed away and left a stack of them. Mostly from the 70s. They aren't in very good shape though. There was a flood.

Lifes-A-Blast
08-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Have you ever attended a record collectors show? I'm from the Detroit area and 3x during the winter and 3x during the fall there is a record collecter's show . All sorts of merchants who buy and sell used vinyl, 45's cd's amd memrobillia. Check around your area .
College towns are sometimes good for that. Also check out goldmine magazine. I believe it is a buy / sell publication listing prices . Maybe you can find some info there??
Just some thoughts for your help. Good Luck

KEXPMF
08-20-2005, 02:14 PM
good ideas. :)
I'm looking to spend a minimum of time (especially because most of the LPs seem to be about $2-$5 on ebay. I was thinking I might try to sell them to a store in my neighborhood. Probably won't get much but it'll be quick.

MindGoneHaywire
08-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Do you find, more often than not (with exceptions of course) that things you think ARE valueable aren't and things you've never heard of ARE? I'm finding that. I thought Beatles LPs were valuable. NOT.

I'm selling some LPs. The person who lived here before me passed away and left a stack of them. Mostly from the 70s. They aren't in very good shape though. There was a flood.

Well, thanks for the kind words, K. I've gotta tell you, LPs are way more work with Ebay than CDs, but that's obvious. I listened first to every record I ever listed prior to listing it as I never wanted to be in the position of having someone tell me I sold them something that wasn't as advertised. I had the time on my hands, though.

Checking the completed items on Ebay is usually a pretty good indication of how something's going to sell for. Of course, there are exceptions, but it's the best way to determine value & a starting bid. Before doing those searches, sure, there have been plenty of things where I thought it went one way & it turned out to be the other. You never know. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting two people who really want something who happen to be looking at the same time & are willing to keep bidding against each other. Which doesn't happen too often, but it's also rare to have something that's worth a lot & you put it up with a reasonable starting bid & nobody bids for it or you only get one bidder.

I'm surprised you're saying Beatles LPs aren't worth anything? I haven't sold too many records in the past couple of years, but that hasn't been my experience at all. In fact, even LPs that weren't in great shape went for way more than I expected. Maybe something's changed, or maybe you're talking about reissues or repackaged records like hits collections? Anything pressed prior to about 20 years or so ago always seemed to do well.

I'd recommend at least doing a search through the completed items on Ebay to make sure you're not just going to hand something valuable to a record store that isn't going to give you much & might not take damaged goods at all. Shipping is a pain. But if you sell any records, I have boxes, if you need. I bought way too many of 'em a year & a half ago to sell off a collection that I ended up not being able to sell off. And sorry for not calling...things have been a little screwy over here, we had to put our cat to sleep the other night, so we haven't really had our heads screwed on straight. Like we ever usually do. Anyway, good luck, email me if you have any other questions, & I'll catch you later.