Peak Sound Level Calculator [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Peak Sound Level Calculator

Glen B
08-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Check out this peak SPL calculator. Just enter your system information and it estimates the SPL you will get at the listening position for a given wattage input.

Peak SPL Calculator: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

kexodusc
08-09-2005, 07:27 AM
This is a nifty little calculator I use often for quick reference.
A bit of advice to people though. When using the sensitivity figure reported as "SPL at 2.83 V rms 1m", I'd recommend subtracting 1 or 1.5 dB from that figure for a more realistic sensitivity level.
It also wouldn't hurt to err on the conservative side when using manufacturers specifications, many independent lab results reveal the sensitivity to be below that stated. Not that manufacturers are cheating, but often these are theoretical figures that fall a bit short in practice.
Hey, if you use the smaller number and have extra, bonus, if not, at least you're ready for it.

cam
08-09-2005, 03:47 PM
This is a nifty little calculator I use often for quick reference.
A bit of advice to people though. When using the sensitivity figure reported as "SPL at 2.83 V rms 1m", I'd recommend subtracting 1 or 1.5 dB from that figure for a more realistic sensitivity level.
It also wouldn't hurt to err on the conservative side when using manufacturers specifications, many independent lab results reveal the sensitivity to be below that stated. Not that manufacturers are cheating, but often these are theoretical figures that fall a bit short in practice.
Hey, if you use the smaller number and have extra, bonus, if not, at least you're ready for it.
Are you subtracting 1 to 1.5db from the anechoic number or the typical room gain number. My Monitor 7's are 90db anechoic and 93 in a typical room.

kexodusc
08-09-2005, 04:33 PM
My Paradigm's always measured a bit less than spec, not much maybe dB or so...The typical room stuff I believe is just there way of accounting for wall proximity. It's real SPL, but it's not solely created by the speaker.
The anechoic number is the only one you can really use for comparison...all anechoics should behave somewhat similarly if they are anechoic...a typical room could be anything....most manufacturers don't provide details of these typical rooms, complete with speaker setup.