reddish color on left and right edges of crt rptv [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : reddish color on left and right edges of crt rptv

agtpunx40
08-09-2005, 06:18 AM
Last night, while watching A Straight Story, I noticed a reddish tint on both the left and right edges of my tv. It was especially visible on the top corners, and it seems, the right moreso than the left. It is really only visible during black scenes, but these areas of the screne are clearly reddish when, for example, there is a shot of the sky. At first, I thought it might be an issue with my dvd player, as I had noticed this same problem before, and when I switched the tv input to an empty input, so it showed a pure black screen, it was really pure black. It also isn't really visible when looking at the true black bars on non-widescreen hd programs, although it is if you're really looking for it (my tv shows grey bars for regular tv programs and you can't see it at all there). I just checked the openeing sceen of the movie, a shot of the night sky full of the stars, and in a dark room, the same problem is visible. My TV , a Toshiba 51 H 84 is only like 2 months old, and I rarely if ever watch any 4:3 programming without a stretch mode on, so I don't think this is a burn in issue. I set the TV up with Avia, although just in the first few days after I got it, I haven't redone it recently. I did redo the auto convergence, which was another of my first thoughts (it kindo seemed to help, although not fully, and really, it might not even have helped at all, it could just be my imagination), although I didn't have time to manually work on it today, and Toshiba told me that if it isn't the convergence donesn't help, then to take it in to a shop. Does this sound like it's probably an issue with the convergence and I just have to mess with it a while (I plan on trying it tonight or tomorrow)?

kexodusc
08-09-2005, 06:36 AM
Last night, while watching A Straight Story, I noticed a reddish tint on both the left and right edges of my tv. It was especially visible on the top corners, and it seems, the right moreso than the left. It is really only visible during black scenes, but these areas of the screne are clearly reddish when, for example, there is a shot of the sky. At first, I thought it might be an issue with my dvd player, as I had noticed this same problem before, and when I switched the tv input to an empty input, so it showed a pure black screen, it was really pure black. It also isn't really visible when looking at the true black bars on non-widescreen hd programs, although it is if you're really looking for it (my tv shows grey bars for regular tv programs and you can't see it at all there). I just checked the openeing sceen of the movie, a shot of the night sky full of the stars, and in a dark room, the same problem is visible. My TV , a Toshiba 51 H 84 is only like 2 months old, and I rarely if ever watch any 4:3 programming without a stretch mode on, so I don't think this is a burn in issue. I set the TV up with Avia, although just in the first few days after I got it, I haven't redone it recently. I did redo the auto convergence, which was another of my first thoughts (it kindo seemed to help, although not fully, and really, it might not even have helped at all, it could just be my imagination), although I didn't have time to manually work on it today, and Toshiba told me that if it isn't the convergence donesn't help, then to take it in to a shop. Does this sound like it's probably an issue with the convergence and I just have to mess with it a while (I plan on trying it tonight or tomorrow)?

Not only is this problem not related to the convergence, it's a very common problem in MOST RPTV's. I actually have that very same model, and I too had the same red tint on my screen. I didn't notice it until a completely white or black screen late at night though.

It's known as "red push". Basically, these tv's aren't all calibrated to 100% tolerance at the factory because of a number of impractical reasons. Instead, they use statistics to come up with factory settings. Sometimes a tv such as yours will display an exaggerated red glow.
There are a number of options for you to tackle this issue. It's actually very minor. I would re-direct you to:
http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/forumdisplay.php?f=13

This is a very good Toshiba/HDTV forum that helped me solve the problem on my set. Do some searches for "red push" and read the FAQ's...then ask some questions.
I say this because they get a lot of questions there and the usual response is just a link to the FAQ's and instructions to search, then to come back with more specific questions.

In my case, my TV's grayscale was off. It was a simple matter of me entering the service menu, and changing the values of Red Drive and Red Cut. Took 38 seconds (was pretty nerve wrecking though). Beware: Every set is different...do a ton of research before you do anything...perhaps exchanging the set is an option?

agtpunx40
08-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the site. I'll check it out and let you know how it turns out