Velodyne VX10 vs Velodyne CHT-10 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Velodyne VX10 vs Velodyne CHT-10

Dolby
08-08-2005, 02:50 AM
I'm looking at a Velodyne 10" subwoofer to replace my older Velodyne CT-80 8".

I reviewed both these subs online and it 'seems' that the CHT-10 is the better of the two. It has a more powerful amplifer (150RMS vs 100RMS), and quite a bit heavier as well. I've heard the CHT-10 is built better as well.

I then decided to check online prices and it 'seems' to me that the VX10 is also the cheaper of the two subs ($150 vs $200). I decided to pay a little more an get the CHT-10.

However, at the shop the salesman recommended the VX10 over the CHT-10. The funny thing was the CHT-10 was 15% cheaper as well. This through me off guard, and I left empy handed. Was there a reason it was cheaper? Is the VX10 perhaps the better of the two? I do know this is the wrong way to look at things, but if I see an item cheaper - I assume inferior. I'm scared I end of getting the inferior, as these things cost a ton here ... $500 equivilant, and the average salary is $1000

Wireworm5
08-08-2005, 10:45 AM
I have the CHT-10 and I think its a good sub. I plays clean and is more than enough power for my 25' x 11' room. It also has a bypass switch so you can use the crossover on your receiver as opposed to the sub's crossover. I also went with the 10" over the 12" because in my reasoning a 10 is better for music in that it has a quicker response than a 12". If I was more into HT than I would have went with the 12". I don't have alot of experience with subs. My previous sub was a Cerwin-Vega CW-10 and the CHT-10 is by far the superior sub. As for VX10 I can't comment on it other than its a newer line that didn't exist when I purchased my sub 3 years ago. In my opinion however I'd go with the CHT-10

JES14
08-09-2005, 07:44 AM
I actually have both these subs in a 7.2 configuration. The CHT is superior, but the VX is a good little sub for the money. With a larger room I would definatly spend the extra on the CHT (more clean power).

kapsley
08-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I have the CHT-10 and have been very pleased with its performance both for music and HT. I have a very open family room, but this sub does a great job on both.

jimmymagick
08-30-2005, 11:16 AM
I have the VX 10 and I have been exceptionally pleased with it--BUT my listening room is only 11 x 11.

twochannelsonly
08-30-2005, 06:55 PM
I also went with the 10" over the 12" because in my reasoning a 10 is better for music
Thats hard to argue, its faster so that makes sence, Ive always prefeered 10's myself.
I heard the Velodyne DLS-3750 last week at a friends house running with a pr of maggie's mmg's kinda a cool unit becuase it has a remote control. Im not sure what the cost difference or power rating is but it was outstanding for hard rock music. Im running a pr of HSU VT2's right now and I think those are 10's also with a pr of old maggies 1.5's