AVR setting for TV shows [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : AVR setting for TV shows

duvallite
08-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Now that I've got an external fan keeping my Denon AVR-3300 cooler, I want to start using it more when we watch regular cable TV, so I can get the most out of my HT system. What setting should I typically use when watching TV? I know I use DD or DTS for DVDs, and Pro Logic for VHS tapes, and I'm using 5-channel stereo for music (it's GREAT), but I'm not sure what would work the best with broadcast TV. Any suggestions?

EdwardGein
08-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Use all natural 5 channel sound If you're connected from an HD DVR by optic cable you'll get 5.1 sound. I would double check with your satellite or cable company though as here in LA for Time Warner Cable the previous DVR did not get 5.1 sound. By the way, your using the wrong setting for VHS tapes if they are recorded in surround sound which I assume they are.
Just set everything to all natural 5 channel sound. I have a Denon 3801. :D :D :D :D

Woochifer
08-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Now that I've got an external fan keeping my Denon AVR-3300 cooler, I want to start using it more when we watch regular cable TV, so I can get the most out of my HT system. What setting should I typically use when watching TV? I know I use DD or DTS for DVDs, and Pro Logic for VHS tapes, and I'm using 5-channel stereo for music (it's GREAT), but I'm not sure what would work the best with broadcast TV. Any suggestions?

For two-channel TV viewing, you will use either Dolby Pro Logic or Pro Logic II when viewing TV shows. The majority of broadcast TV shows are encoded in Dolby Surround (which is a two-channel format decoded by a Pro Logic decoder) -- same thing as the two-channel VHS Dolby Surround tracks. Only with HD broadcasts will you use 5.1 Dolby Digital. Keep in mind that even with DVDs, a lot of them have 2.0 Dolby Surround soundtracks, even if the carrier format is Dolby Digital, it will still get decoded by a Pro Logic decoder.

drseid
08-08-2005, 01:55 AM
I used to own that same model receiver a few years ago... You are using all of the correct settings...

Woochifer sums it up correctly...

For TV, the ProLogic setting will work on most TV shows at night, but I confess that I used to just use plain old 2 channel "Direct" mode on TV, as on non Dolby Digital broadcasts, it sounded better to me (I am not a huge fan of regular ProLogic). Obviously, if something is broadcast in DD 5.1, then that decoding option would be the best choice for those broadcasts.

---Dave