Speaker Placement?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Placement??

Celtic Bob
08-06-2005, 11:38 AM
I am plannong on converting the spare bedroom into a small TV/Music room. The plan right now is to make a built in wall unit to hold the stereo, TV, Center Speaker, LP's and some cd's. Are the wall mounting brackets for speakers any good? I was thinking of mounting my speakers in the top corners with a small downward aim to them. Is this a good idea? The speakers are Energy 2.1e's (about 12 years old but still sound great).
Thanks
b.

Woochifer
08-06-2005, 02:05 PM
In general, whether or not you should go with mounting brackets depends on the weight of the speaker, the direction that the port on the speaker fires out, and the room configuration. In general, the diagram below shows the most optimal arrangement for a surround speaker setup. Dolby also recommends that you raise the speakers by about two feet above ear level and point them directly at one another.

Generally, wall brackets are not designed to support heavy or large speakers. Also, if your speakers have rear firing ports, then you don't want to mount them too close to the walls, which makes wall brackets less than desirable. And if your room is really wide, you might want to look into tall speaker stands instead.

Another thing to look out for is with the center speaker. If you plan to use a built in entertainment unit, the center speaker generally should not be installed inside an enclosure. Inside an enclosure, the center speaker will reverberate more than in free space, and you'll lose some focus with the center imaging.

Geoffcin
08-06-2005, 03:58 PM
I am plannong on converting the spare bedroom into a small TV/Music room. The plan right now is to make a built in wall unit to hold the stereo, TV, Center Speaker, LP's and some cd's. Are the wall mounting brackets for speakers any good? I was thinking of mounting my speakers in the top corners with a small downward aim to them. Is this a good idea? The speakers are Energy 2.1e's (about 12 years old but still sound great).
Thanks
b.

As much as it sounds like a good idea to free up floor space, mounting speaker in the top corners is not really optimal for audio or Home Theater. Your Energy 2.1's were engineered to perform best on stands, and that's the best way to use them in either an Audio, or HT configuration.

Woochifer
08-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Oops, forgot to post the placement diagram!

http://www.axiomaudio.com/global/images/diagrams/dolby_digital_pro_logic2.jpg

Celtic Bob
08-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Oops, forgot to post the placement diagram!

http://www.axiomaudio.com/global/images/diagrams/dolby_digital_pro_logic2.jpg

Thanks allot.
The room is not very big 12x12. I am trying to get the most room out of it so building an in-wall unit is my best option. Trying to figure out what it would be like with the speakers left on stands in front of it.
Center speaker is currently sitting directly on top of my 32" Sony XBR
b.