Ultimate Speaker for SACD player ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Speaker for SACD player ?

Jeremy
08-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi, I was wondering is there such a speaker which can produce a frequency response of up to 100KHz as SACD can produce up to such a high frequency ?

I only know of 1 speaker system SSM9ED which can do it. That's was the pair of speaker where SONY first used to introduce SACD in the market.

Thanks.

N. Abstentia
08-05-2005, 10:14 PM
90% of humans can't hear over 17,000 hz...so why bother?

Florian
08-06-2005, 01:43 AM
Just give it a try, to me the SACD sounds less harsh in theh ighs, but only on the modified SCD1 from Sony. Also, pretty much all ribbon or electrostatics play that high, and the hiher frequencys do affect the lower ones too.

-Flo :D

kexodusc
08-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Extended range is beneficial, regardless of whether your hearing stops at 15 KHz or wherever. For the record, almost all speakers play well above 20 KHz, up to 30, 40 or higher. the only difference is the flat response...which if you can't hear above 20 KHz, might not matter anyway.
I've heard some speakers that were +/- 1.5 dB or up to 15 KHz, and then got really nasty. But they were incredible sounding because they handled the most important regions where 99.9% of timbre and tonality are located.
I think, as Florian suggests, SACD's extended range produces audible benefits in the lower frequencies, but as for speakers, no reason to worry about ultra high frequency extension.

theaudiohobby
08-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Just give it a try, to me the SACD sounds less harsh in theh ighs, but only on the modified SCD1 from Sony. Also, pretty much all ribbon or electrostatics play that high, and the hiher frequencys do affect the lower ones too.

-Flo :D

Something tells me the UR Unico CD is on the way out, soon to be replaced by a VSE modded player, For me anyway I felt the Unico CD simply did not make the grade, it was simply too veiled in the midrange and its timing somewhat off, shortcomings brutally exposed on a Quad 988.

To the issue at hand, I do not think that SACD's HF extension matters at all, the trick is its vanishingly low and benign distortion in the audible range and makes all the difference.

Feanor
08-06-2005, 09:22 AM
90% of humans can't hear over 17,000 hz...so why bother?
That we perceive higher frequencies subliminally -- or that's what some people claim. Anyone got an update on this topic?

Personally I'm really skeptical. And personally I can't (consciously) hear anything above 10 kH, so I don't worry at all about whether a speaker that can reproduce above 20 kH.

Florian
08-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Something tells me the UR Unico CD is on the way out, soon to be replaced by a VSE modded player, For me anyway I felt the Unico CD simply did not make the grade, it was simply too veiled in the midrange and its timing somewhat off, shortcomings brutally exposed on a Quad 988.

To the issue at hand, I do not think that SACD's HF extension matters at all, the trick is its vanishingly low and benign distortion in the audible range and makes all the difference.
Well the Unison will most likely be replaced by the Audio Analouge Maestro Big Block or the big Proceed combo

-Flo

bjornb17
08-06-2005, 10:47 PM
That we perceive higher frequencies subliminally -- or that's what some people claim. Anyone got an update on this topic?

Personally I'm really skeptical. And personally I can't (consciously) hear anything above 10 kH, so I don't worry at all about whether a speaker that can reproduce above 20 kH.

10 KHz?!?! were you a rock star or something?

mine hearing drops off a little over 17k it seems. but then again im only 21

abstracta
08-07-2005, 07:51 PM
But they were incredible sounding because they handled the most important regions where 99.9% of timbre and tonality are located.

I have and always will claim that that sonic material above 17khz does not matter. I've simply heard too many recordings on redbook CD clipped at 20khz that sounded better/worse than other extended frequency range sources to waste time arguing about it. You guys are aware that many SACD's sources that are digital have already been castrated above 20khz, right? I also don't believe the second order excuse (pardon the pun) that harmonics in the 30- 40khz region impact audible range material.

What I do believe is that tweeters that are well behaved in the 20-30-40khz region are likely to produce material in 7-15khz region with better detail and stability than one that acts like a it's having a seizure at 25Khz (conventional metal dome). Same with DAC's.